1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Other Guitarists On Here?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Phin McCool, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Only just realised this part of the forum exists, LOL.

Any other plank spankers around? What gear do you have? What style do you play? Band or just bedroom player?

I'm just a bedroom player, have been for years. I used to be in a Zeppelin type rock/blues band in the early 80's, then I was in a hair metal band between 86 and 91. A white Jackson Charvel was my weapon of choice then.

Now I have a Squire strat with a blender mod, Aria Pro II DLX-3, an Epiphone SG and a 1990's Gibson Les Paul Standard. I'm also building a white Squire Ritchie Blackmore strat copy but not going as far as the scalloped fretboard.

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  2. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I'm not, but my grandfather was. He played his whole life in bands, he loved the Beatles but did all types of classic rock. He actually played at the 1997 World Series, I was 7 so I dont remember the capacity of it, not sure but I'd think it was an outdoors tent thing and not actually on field, but idk. He was the lead singer and played lead guitar, but I dont remember the specific brand/type. He was also a fairly good bass player.

The band was called "Time Machine".

Phin McCool likes this.
  3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I play!

For acoustic, I have an Alvarez Yairi, but I much more enjoy electric.

I own a (follow me here) 2008 '61 Gibson SG Reissue and a G&L Doheny which I customized from a local dealer here. The latter is the better rhythm guitar and the former is much better for leads. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10. I've been playing for about a dozen years, and grew up with classic rock and blues as my learning building blocks. Now, I have a soft spot for R&B and stoner rock.

I also own a lot of pedals for my electric. My chain is the following:

TC Electronic Polytune -> Zvex Vibrophase -> Mooer Mini Compressor (based on the Diamond compressor) -> Deep Trip Hell Bender (take on a silicon Tonebender Mk. 2) -> Catalinbread Formula 5F6 (Fender Bassman Amp in a Box and my main overdrive) -> BBE Harmonic Maximizer-> DOD Rubberneck Analog Delay -> Earthquaker Afterneath Reverb -> then finally a little Boss RC-1 Looper.

I also used to have a Catalinbread Naga Viper, a treble booster, which was absolutely fantastic but that unfortunately broke and a Walrus Monument Tremolo which I need to replace the power cord for. I need to replace both then they're going back on the board.

Eventually I'll end up replacing my pedal tuner (the clip-on tuners work just fine and don't take up board space) and using that space for a chorus and another fuzz. I've been looking at the ThorpyFX Field General which is based on Guyatone Big Cheese Fuzz. I have a blast playing heavy fuzzy stuff at high volume!

As far as amp windowshopping goes, I really like the Argos by Achillies. It's basically a Marshall JTM45 with a master volume. I'd love an amp with big ol' KT66 bells in it. I don't know how I'll afford any of this stuff in the near future though.

Phin McCool likes this.
  4. darefugee

darefugee Active Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    you talking to me?

upload_2020-9-3_7-22-47.png

Gibson J50 - Guild G37 - Mossman Great Plains - Martin D-16T - Alvarez Yairi DY-68 - Fender Stratocaster

upload_2020-9-3_7-23-16.png

Stratocaster clone - PRS clone - Gibson Les Paul Studio - Telecaster clone - Fender Stratocaster

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Phin McCool likes this.
  5. darefugee

darefugee Active Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Forgot the amps

upload_2020-9-3_7-44-54.png

Deluxe Reverb clone - Tweed Deluxe clone - AC 15 clone with additional "JTM 50-ish" preamp.
    Various pedals I made

upload_2020-9-3_7-46-53.png

Other amps I made that just collect dust...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    invid likes this.