Any predictions for the Dolphins?
57 replies
How do you guys see this season playing out for you?
I think we will have a top 5 pick if that defence playes like it did in the preseason. But like any other Dolphins fan I hope we can shut the national media up (espn, nfl network) and win the Super Bowl!
I really used to be a "glass half full" guy. When you're used to watching Shula teams since 71, you kind of have some justification for that. I'm keeping an open mind, but I've got that same sort of feeling I had about Saban's Culpepper led team and the Cam Cameron Dolphins. I had the same bad feeling with Sparano's team prior to Pennington falling into our laps.
On the plus side, I think Tannehill looks like a poised QB who could develop into an elite passer. He's very smart, confident but doesn't come across as a jerk, appears to make good decisions. He's pretty accurate, has an NFL caliber arm and pretty decent anticipation for a rookie. Aside from the strong arm, I never saw these qualities with Henne.
I *think* I see what Philbin is doing. My take is that he's trying to create a culture where players have to pay attention to detail as a matter of habit. He's trying to instill the fear of uncertainty in his players by keeping a relatively even (and thus, unreadable) demeanor, chastising them for saying F@#K, not tying their shoes, and creating the impression that he is obsessed with detail by noting such things and picking pieces of paper off the practice field. Turning this team into something like that, in my opinion, is going to take a while, if he can pull it off at all. There will likely be locker room disatisfaction as the team is molded to this vision I *think* Philbin is going for. If he can pull it off early, we could be a plus .500 team. If not, I suspect we could be looking at 4-12 or worse.
Grown men, that are millionaires non the less, don't want to be told what words they can't say, be told to pick up garbage off the lockerroom floor or be told to tie their shoes. Thats gonna get old real quick.
Just remember Philbin had a 15-1 team last year. Your offense should be explosive.
I see 6-10 season or 5-11. Just basing that on the talent I don't see on the roster at DB, OL, WR, TE and passrush outside of Wake. I hope I am wrong. I think Philbin and Tannehill will be a good match though, and getting a good QB solves a lot of other problems.
Very low expectations. Where are the explosive plays going to come from on offense and defense? But this season is honestly not about wins and losses... it's about Tannehill. And hopefully going into next season feeling very confident about him with plenty of picks and salary cap space to build this team the right way.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
"Arodgers12 wrote:
Just remember Philbin had a 15-1 team last year. Your offense should be explosive.
lol yea well we ain't the Packers.
"Arodgers12 wrote:
Just remember Philbin had a 15-1 team last year. Your offense should be explosive.
Our offense is lacking a QB with the last name "Rodgers," WRs even half as good as Nelson & Jennings, and a dominant O-Line. I have my doubts about the offense. Maybe not necessarily the schemes/playcalling, but having the players who can execute and make plays like GB can.
We are going 4-12...7-9 would be an over achieving triumph.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez
I'd say no worse than 4-12 and no better than 7-9.
I'll be happy so long as Tannehill stays healthy and some of the key pieces like Jake Long and Randy Starks are re-signed (whether that's with a franchise tag on Jake Long or not is fine. I just want both back in 2013).
I'm interested to see how Kevin Coyle's defense does. After watching this team this preseason, and hopefully it was just very vanilla schemes, I think he may be in over his head. I think the current personnel in the front 7 are better suited to a 3-4 defense or to the 3-4/4-3 Under mixture from last year. Coyle's scheme, again, in this preseason, didn't incorporate as many Under and Over fronts as I would've expected to see.
But, mainly, I think this year is finding out of Tannehill is the real deal and if some of our recent draft picks - Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, Daniel Thomas, Nolan Carroll, Reshad Jones, and Chris Clemons can step up and assume the roles they're slated to be in; most of them starting. Their success holds a key to Miami's overall success, along with Tannehill.
@KevinMD4
"canesz06 wrote:
Grown men, that are millionaires non the less, don't want to be told what words they can't say, be told to pick up garbage off the lockerroom floor or be told to tie their shoes. Thats gonna get old real quick.
Problem is, these aren't all 'grown' men...many of them are much younger than their years because of the atmosphere that winning HS and college team experiences bring about. Many of them feel 'privileged because of their talent level, but at this level, they are just another player. Picking up after themselves or being careful what they say in public (to the press) is not asking too much of any person, millionaire or not... What Philbin is doing is about projecting themselves as adults, by all means...
No better than 6-10, more likely 4-12.
I'll be pretty surprised if this team goes any better than 5-11. If it somehow went 8-8, I'd be shocked beyond belief. Nearly everyone considers Tannehill our next Franchise QB, such as Griese or Marino were. I'm not as totally sold on him as the majority are, but try to remain cautiously optimistic. It's been hard to get a good read on him when other than Bess we have the worst collection of WRs in the league. Of the rookie QBs selected in the first 4 rounds, the only ones who were worse in preseason were Weeden and Osweiler. Luck, RG3, Foles, Cousins, Wilson, all did better than Tannehill IMO.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
I predict a high draft position in next years draft. With the number of picks we have that might be good.
Omar's post but a worth reading quote from Philbin.
Here's a couple things I found troubling about the Dolphins 2012 preseason....
Opposing quarterbacks had a 92.2 QB rating.
Miami's quarterbacks had a 59.5 cumulative QB rating.
There is no chance a team that win games with that type of disparity, and that's an offensive and defensive problem.
“We’ve got to disrupt the passing game better, whether it be re-routing receivers, whether it be putting more pressure on the quarterback,” coach Joe Philbin said. “The quarterbacks are operating at too high of an efficiency against us and we’re not operating at high enough. “

"Arodgers12 wrote:
How do you guys see this season playing out for you?
I think we'll be picking in the top 3 come April.

"PSG wrote:
I think we'll be picking in the top 3 come April.
It is possible, especially if the D does not show up.


