1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any thoughts on KY's Micah Johnson?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Dec 24, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Micah-Johnson.html

I'm starting to warm up to Micah Johnson:

1. He was a top HS recruit, Ireland tends to like that in a player.

2. He fits the bill as a run stuffing Lb as he is a downhill player

3. He is "affordable" meaning not likely to go in Rd 1 or early in Rd 2.

4. Nice size at 260, that reminds me a bit of Pepper Johnson.

Thoughts?

adamprez2003 and Frayser like this.
  2. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    He's certainly an interesting prospect. Here's a bit more on him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116921

Couple interesting blurbs there. I only saw him in the Vanderbilt game. Interesting to see that he put up those numbers playing through a sprained knee. Tough kid.

ILB is an interesting position because I think it will probably be the best need to address via FA. I know that a lot of the stud guys out there will likely be resigned, but there's still going to be a horde of solid "lunch pail" type guys out there, many with decent size.

padre31 likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Imho, FA won't be this year what people are hoping for, there are so many RFA tags and Franchise tags that teams can use now, unless they are cash strapped like the Jags or Bills, the only players likely to make it out into the open market are the Trusnik's of the NFL.

I'd prefer to just draft a ILB, especially a huge, physical ILB like Johnson.

Or we could bargain basement it with ex Bengal Odell Thurman, no one questioned his talent, his substance abuse issues were a problem a year in the UFL and imho he looks ready to play NFL football again.

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll steer clear of Thurman. I haven't followed him since his Bengals days ended, but last I saw he was working construction and was up to 290lbs several years ago. When he played for Cincinnati, he was 235lbs - is he back down to that range?

As far as Micah Johnson, he definitely fits the bill as size-wise of what this front office looks for. I saw UK play against Florida and wasn't impressed with his ability to diagnose a play or his lateral speed to get to plays on the outside. Obviously Florida has a different version of the spread than most college teams, but Johnson wasn't much of a factor regardless.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I've watched him three or four times. He's a quality linebacker going downhill but I do have questions in other places of his game. I've seen him have coverage issues when asked to cover a tight end and really, his only responsibilities in the Cover 2 Man scheme that Kentucky uses has been to trail the tailback out of the backfield. However, he runs well and he's good at reading the game IMO. He does a good job getting in the backfield to make tackles for loss. He is not a play maker though. He's more of a dependable linebacker than a play maker IMO.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He played in the UFL and was the best player on the field in most games, he looks about 260ish.

Keep in mind that the ILB is dependent on the players in front of him.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me he would bump Channing Crowder over to Akin Ayodele's position "if" he has the instincts and picks up the NFL game quickly enough.

Imho, a rookie Lb, unless they are John Offerdahl reincarnate won't start for the Phins until the middle of the season or unless there are injuries so Johnson would be a good late 3rd round pick up, a good value for a player who won't start anytime soon.

8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Having Johnson and crowder on the same team is a duplication of mediocrity. If all you want is nothing exceptional and completely average then its ok. He has the size to be the player I think the regime wants so I can't completely rule him out but personally if prefer to see us pass on him. we have enough lb's that can't cover, don't create turnovers, and don't make any exceptional or bone crushing tackles.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Or, he could be a nice value in the 3rd or 4th round and able to fillin quickly.

That is what I love about the NFL, the proof is in whether they play well, or not, in the NFL.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If I want a player to do nothing but be decidedly average Id run out and get crowder and ayodele jerseys now. Im not saying Johnson cant be better but from what I have seen he hasnt shown me he will be better so far.

I really want mcclain or spikes or a FA preferably D'Qwell Jackson or Thomas Howard. Eric Norwood works also.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1. Jackson is not going anywhere, as per usual in FA, talk talk, very few players actually move.

2. Thomas Davis tore a MCL

3. Norwood is a olb who will be taken early

4. Don't cre for Spikes, he is not a banger, McClain will be long gone before we draft.

Don't mind "hope" Boik, but let us be realistic, few free agents actually move, and this is a weak year for ILB's, there no Curtis Lofton's or Willis's roaming around this draft board.

Frayser likes this.
  12. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    It's easy to say "I want McLain." I want Dez Bryant too. But we have to deal in reality, and Johnson is certainly a guy that will be available in the middle rounds and could be a player for us.

One thing to remember is this . . . Crowder would be far from mediocre in Ayodele's position.

13. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    1. Probably right but I can still hope.
    2. Good thing I said Thomas Howard not Thomas Davis.
    3. Norwood could get moved inside at the NFL level and imo will fall in to late round1/mid round 2 because he is a bit of a tweener.
    4. Spikes is more physical then you give him credit for. hes certainly more physical then Micah Johnson. McClain may or may not be on the board depending on where we pick. ILB's typically dont go early in round one so if we lose the last two theres a chance he falls to us around pick 14 which is about where we could land if we lose the last two and things break right. After 2 or 3 players its a weaker year then I'd like for ILB's but I definitely think one of those players could land on our team...and if things break right...who knows maybe two. :yes:

14. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    McShay listed Johnson as the only "key player" for Kentucky in the Music City Bowl. Just showed a brief clip of him but talked about his ability to disrupt runs inside the tackles.

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the problem is right now we have too many "Ted" type 2-down, forward-moving linebackers and not enough sideline to sideline guys. Throwing Johnson on that pile, even if he pans out wouldn't be a tremendous difference maker.

Frayser likes this.
  16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That and we dont force enough turnovers as it is and I dont see Johnson as a player who really helps to change that either in attitude or production

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Micah Johnson would be a good pickup rd 3 or later but the points made about not being a huge upgrade are correct. We need a playmaker ILB. Rolondo McClain fits the bill the best. Spikes is more of a risk IMO but has the athleticism we need. Sean Witherspoon, Sean Lee and Norwood might all be fits though I would rather see Norwood outside. I think Derrick Johnson might be another possibility in FA. Micah Johnson coupled with any of the LBs I mentioned works. Micah Johnson coupled with Crowder, not so much..

BTW if we do nothing Torbor has to start next year. He's outplayed both Crowder and Ayodele

18. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd be very disappointed if we drafted someone like Brandon Spikes or Rolando McClain and they didn't start until midseason. For a team like Miami, given where we are, we need someone to come in like Jerod Mayo and start from week 1. It's not like a rookie is struggling to get game time ahead of an All Pro. This is Akin Ayodele we're talking about here.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Let's clear up two issues from this thread: 1) I'm not sure why anyone would think that Brandon Spikes isn't physical. He is.

2) Eric Norwood isn't going to play ILB anytime soon. He gets washed out far too much in the run game. A guy that can't set the edge as an OLB isn't going to offer you the sort of stability from the middle of the defense.

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think Crowder gets something of a bad rap. I think this has probably been his best year as a pro and he's had a strong second half to the season. I think Torbor has done well in limited snaps but mainly what he's done well has been going forwards. Remember, he was a rush LB at Auburn and the Giants used him to supply inside rush, especially on 3rd downs. In their SB winning year, Steve Spagnuolo devised a scheme whereby Justin Tuck played DT on 3rd downs and obvious pass situations, letting Osi and Strahan rush from end with Torbor and Gibril Wilson often rushing from linebacker. They would drop Antonio Pierce and man up on the outside.

21. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    As usual, nail on head. What Miami needs is someone who can make a difference in terms of big plays from the ILB Spot. Someone that can get sideline to sideline and make a play, someone who can get after the QB when needed and who can stay on the field for 3rd downs and make a difference. I prefer McClain as a player, but I can't help thinking Brandon Spikes isn't better suited to this Miami Dolphins team.

RoninFin4 and Frayser like this.
  22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I really do believe LB help could be coming via Free Agency.

Tim Dobbins is a guy I'm still watching very closely. I believe he was in on three of the four tackles when Dallas ran four straight times on the goal line against San Diego and turned it over on downs.

And Merriman has to be a strong consideration for SOLB.

Frayser likes this.
  23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Yep, Dobbins and Siler made all four stops and then last week against the Bengals, there was a Cincy three and out that he forced by making the play on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs. How did he play Chris Johnson last night?

24. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Spikes has improved, and will take on blockers, he isn't afraid of contact in that manner. Although, I have to wonder about his ability to disengage, and or how he defeats blocks. He doesn't seem that consistent in that regard, which I would like as he has that nasty tendency to overrun the hole. So an ability to fight back through the block and to the ball would be a huge asset, albeit I don't know if he has that.

This isn't my final word regarding Spikes, but I would like to see more of him when he has to work to disengage. His speed would be a nice asset I agree with you, but can we afford his undisciplined play at times?

P.S. I am having a hard time giving Sergio Kindle a 1st round grade from what I've seen. I could see where he would sneak into the bottom half, in my mind anyways, but I don't see him as a sure fire first rounder. He is intriguing but he has some "issues" IMHO in hia ability to play on the next level. Maybe I'm wrong.

25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    This is what I think about Spikes; I think he's improved a lot in his ability to disengage. He does it very well with linemen who come straight at him. Where I think he struggles is if he gets blocked on the move, when trying to get to the perimeter and as you mentioned, he still has that maddening ability to overrun plays. I actually think he'd be much better in that area if he didn't take such bad angles.

I agree with you on Kindle. For me he's hyper-overrated.

26. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think Crowder is fine as the complimentary ILB. The problem is we dont have a playmaker at ILB. We need someone to be a force from the inside and neither Crowder, Ayodele or Torbor are that guy. Any of them would be acceptable as the 2nd ILB but none of them should be the main ILB

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Watching a replay of the Iowa Northwestern game. Forcing myself to watch someone on defense other than Edds. You were right, Simon. Spievey absolutely screams NFL.

28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Oh yeah, he's really good. If you get a chance to watch the Wisconsin game, he's outstanding in that. If he declares, he could go as high as any corner.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree. In this class, he could be the highest corner drafted, especially if the scouts see something in Ras-I Dowling that scares them away.

30. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got done watching Michah Johnson in the Music City Bowl game and I couldn't agree with Alen more. I've seen MJ a couple times before and was not overly impressed. He did nothing in his bowl game to change my opinion of him.

If we were to double up on ILB then MJ would be a good pick in the 4th round to replace Crowder as our banger in the middle but he is not an upgrade.

Also he was injured on the last play of the game. Not sure how that will affect his draft status yet.

31. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually after today's loss we have a shot at the 11th overall pick. McClain could still be on the board. Go Steelers! Just kidding. Sort of.

32. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Being a draftnik, if we're out of the playoffs and a loss to Pittsburgh gets us the 11th pick, then go Steelers.

Big Red likes this.