1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone concerned with lack of touches for Ronnie Brown?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Sep 28, 2010.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I can't be the only one to see Ronnie get the shaft in the base offense. It seems like Ronnie got most of his touches in the WC while Ricky got his in the base. I'm not basing this solely on the Jets game because it was apparent against the Bills and Vikes. I think we are misusing Brown big time and I'm not sure how we can waste a weapon like that.

Say what you want about Cam Cameron as the HC but he knew the value in Ronnie and made him into a pro bowl all-purpose back before he got injured. Its just troubling to see the 2nd biggest threat outside Marshall get so few touches.

rafael likes this.
  2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I agree, and it brings up the question are split back scenario's better when one back gets multiple touches in a row, and it is better than rotating them in and out constantly.

I heard a back on Sirius (can't remember who) who said he is much more effective when he gets several carries in a row to get on a roll. He said getting one carry then sideline then one carry a few plays later it's tough to "get goin". When they use him exclusively for multiple plays he is much more effective.

I wonder if it's a combination of things, all speculation of course.

1. Contract year, limiting his carries so he isn't a huge contract renewal.
    2. Henning strategy to attack a D. I agree three weeks in a row, limited use of Ronnie.
    3. Health concerns. Perhaps they want to limit him so he can last a full season, or be effective in the second half.
    4. No particular reason. Want to utilize both backs. Make the next team we play gameplan for both styles of runners.

If it is going to be a fairly even split touches, i would prefer they try to give full drives to one or the other. Let each back get in a grove and on a roll without heading to the sidelines after each play or each couple of plays. Or more sets where they are both in at the same time (similar to how NO used Bush and Thomas flanked beside Brees at the same time and both went to the flats to spread the D out)

I would also like to see how many traditional rushes we run in the middle, right and left side of the line. I'm under the impression the left side has seen the fewest rushes. Which woudl be really baffling. Longs a road grader, a large majority of our runs should be behind him.

One thing is for certain, our running game needs to be more explosive. It's been severly underperforming so far and we need them to contribute to stay competative in this league. I think the team will figure it out but a couple more games with a poor running attack and it could really raise some questions.

Colmax and Paul 13 like this.
  3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Don't worry, you're not the only 1. Ricky getting more/equal the carries of Ronnie, is yet another blunder on Henning or Sparano, or whoever. Ricky Williams is showing his age with a pathetic 3.4 YPC while Ronnie is breaking off long runs and is averaging 5.4 YPC. Did I mention that Ricky is still the fumbler he always was?

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    As long as we have Ronnie in weeks 8-16, im ok with limiting his carries. For now.

SICK likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think the bold part is why we're using him sparingly. we know that if we make the playoffs we need a healthy ronnie. ricky in the playoffs is just not the same threat. i think we can continue to use him sparingly the first half of the season and see where we are. when we need him to run we will feed him the ball but for now i'm cool with him getting as few carries as possible. we're winning without him and until that changes i say save him for the second half or until we really need him

6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Will the FO still show the confidence in Ricky even though he keeps putting the ball on the turf? I'm not so sure, I think Ronnie is going to get at least 20 carries against New England. I always thought Ricky would be better late game because the defense would be gassed.

gunn34 likes this.
  7. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    It's number 3 on aqua's list. Number 3 on Aqua's list is also the reason
    why they have not had a contract discussion.

8. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Ummmm, I only know of 1 long run that Ronnie "broke" and that was the Vikings and without that long run, Ronnie YPC drops to a 4.0 so take it easy....

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    That's the point though. Ronnie is breaking loose while Ricky really isn't

10. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I understand wanting to save him for later in the season to keep him from getting injured...but if we are under 500 later in the season because we didn't play him, it really won't matter if he's healthy.

BuckeyeKing and jetssuck like this.
  11. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Drop the Wildcat-Offense. It's becoming ineffective. Let Brown run the ball.

Killerphins likes this.
  12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You have to figure this is as much about 'saving' him for later in the season (although I personally don't think Sparano buys into that aspect of his utilizing of RB) as it is about bringing him back from his injury in a more steady run. A Lis Franc injury can take as much as 18 months to come back from completely....It's still less than a year for RB...

That said, I certainly hope that is what he's doing with RB, as holding him back just doesn't make sense for any other reason....

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    LMAO. Cam Cameron did no such thing. He had Ronnie returning KO's in the preseason and coming off of the bench in favor of Jesse the Body Chapman. When the season started, Ronnie had his job back but Trent Green was throwing 50 times a game while Ronnie barely got a dozen touches. It wasn't until we were about 0-3 that Cam started getting Ronnie the ball. I agree with your overall point though. Ronnie needs to touch it 20-25 times via runs and receptions. I can only guess at why it's not happening but once Ricky fumbles a couple more times, that'll force the coaches to play #23.

14. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Ricky has been getting more touched in the base offense for over two years now, then you add in that Ronnie is not near 100% yet, makes sense to me that Ricky would be getting the ball more right now.

Ronnie will look alot better 8 weeks from now then he does now just because he's coming back from an injury.

He is pro bowl all-purpose back when he's 100% healthy but right now he looks no where near that.

15. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree that we should have ran the ball more. Baltimore ran it 30+ times against the Jets. I think the Jets D would have been dead in the 4th if we would have just pounded the ball at them more.

16. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    they'll do that in the next game. next game will be a low scoring affair for both teams

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Hard to pound the ball when you're down 14 and your backs keep fumbling. Also, I don't think I could take another week of "Were too conservative" threads.

18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think there is a certain point in the season where we must go with Ronnie, we haven't reached it yet as it's too early (keeping him "fresh" and limiting his carries is understandable given the injuries)... although if Ricky keeps putting the ball on the ground, we'll be there quicker than the coaches would have preferred. We as fans want Ronnie out there all the time, makes sense... but coaches see this as a marathon rather than a sprint.

The Aqua Crush and adamprez2003 like this.
  19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So when you get back in the game run the ball and wear them down with a long drive and by all means stop marching Ronnie out in the WC only. Let him run the football out of base.

Is it really a happier world losing a football game by opening it up or winning an ugly game and having the fans calling us too conservative?
    I know my answer to that question.

20. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Anyone concerned with the Carries Ronnie Brown is getting?
    I'll bet Ronnie Brown is!

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That is my biggest complaint with the offense. RB should be getting more touches in the base offense and he should be our third down back. RWs has always been fumble prone. In fact, he's even more turnover prone than our passing is on a per attempt basis. He is clearly a lesser back than RB is now. IMO the use of RW in our base offense contributed to the ineffectiveness of our running game and our over reliance on the pass against the Jets. It wasn't the only factor, but it was a factor. I would prefer to see a 2/3 RB - 1/3 RW split going forward. I think the goal should be to get RB 15 - 17 carries in the run game and another 3 - 5 receptions. RW should get about 10 carries and really should only be an outlet safety valve as a receiver.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ronnie brown has always been great reciveing the ball. very good hands. Id like to see more swing routes for him, and more out routes, digs out of the backfield. even the wheel routes we sometimes run are most of the time successful.

Getting him more involved is important.