1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else predicting the Fins at 4-0?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Sep 15, 2010.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Maybe I'm just optimistic, maybe I'm an idiot, but I see the Fins beating New England in a shootout during week three (NE did not face a defense in week one, their high scoring was against a horrible D) and manhandling the Jets in week 4. That leaves Minnesota this Sunday, which I beleive is a completely winnable game if old Brett makes a few mistakes.

I sincerely believe that the Fins will open the season either 3-1 or 4-0, then the road gets a little bit rocky. With some opening momentum though, I think they could have one heck of a season.

dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I could see it, wouldn't bet money on it though.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Magic 8 ball says: Ask again later...After the minnesota game.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I see 2-2 or, if we beat Minnesota, 3-1.

As for the Pats, get back to me after week 3. I need to see more of their defense first.

Edit: I’ll say one thing, Henne will decide our record going into the home stretch starting week 12. We’re going to have to pass to beat the Vikings, Jets, Patriots, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens.

dolfan7171, HULKFish and Bpk like this.
  5. Steven-O

Steven-O F*** the JETS!!

Jun 30, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    i was just gonna be happy with a minnesota win the focus on jets and pats. open with 2 road wins, one of them divisional! tough week we just need to work through it!

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Their Secondary is somewhat poor, not the two Cb's but the S's and 3rd and 4th Cb's.

Keep in mind Aqua, Gerbil Wilson was all set to start in Cinci, and Pacman landed there as well, this weekend Jest v Pastriots and Phins v Minny should shape how the division race turns out in the first half of the season.

But the Phins at 4-0?

Cannot predict that, but do think we are seriously overlooked by the football punditry.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    From weeks 11 through 17, the last two months of the 2009 season, the Bengals only beat the Browns, Lions, and Chiefs. They gave up 20 points to Oakland, 30 to Minnesota, 27 to San Diego, and 37 to the Jets, all losses. And now they’ve kicked off the 2010 season by giving up 38 points to the Patriots.

The Bengals had a great first 10 weeks of 2009 and then fell apart. They haven’t recovered.

frozenfin, gafinfan and ToddsPhins like this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I could very easily see 3-1 or possibly 4-0. Probability speaking, we should start seeing the rewards of our attacking defense in the form of turnovers that are exploited for points. Not to mention we didn't open up our defensive playbook vs Buffalo.

IMO we go at least 1-1 vs NE & Minne, possibly 2-0 if we can create some turnovers.

NE's defense is inexperienced and porous. We should own the TOP against them and knock Brady around a good bit. Marshall should own their secondary, and b/c of it, R&R will hopefully run wild. We beat them last season and IMO we've improved more than they have. Hopefully they're playing with some false confidence right now, too.

Minne is out of sync and not the same w/o Rice. Favre is destined to make a mistake vs our Nolan defense, and we'll be playing conservative & mistake free offense, waiting to capitalize on a Brett turnover, meanwhile allowing our playmakers to add on some YAC from high percentage plays. Marshall, Ronnie, and Ricky didn't break a big one vs Buffalo, so the odds are in our favor that at least one of them does this week. Our team speed will hopefully neutralize Harvin; Dansby should neutralize Shiancoe; and our front 7, CB tackling, and support from Bell will hopefully keep AP to under 75 yards. Maybe the difference in the game comes on a special teams play from either Percy or Clifton. I'm hoping it's Clifton.

With Holmes and Jenkins out and the Jets self-imploding, I don't see them coming into our house and beating us.... but I do see Sanchez leaving with a concussion.

9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I disagree...they were just as horrifying last year when we beat them and our D is much improved. Many will point out that Ricky, Ronnie, Henne, and Brandon did not do anything spectacular last Sunday but then again they did not need to. It was standard Wildcat, standard ground and pound, with very safe playcalling. Yes, we only beat Buffalo by five (or even by 3 if you don't want to consider the free 2 points at the end), but they never truly threatened the defense.

In week three against NE, we will see a very different offense with Henne being let loose right out of the gate. We always save something special for NE and NY, and even in the seasons Miami was horrible we were competitive against them. Heck, we might see that this Sunday, but only is Minn takes the early lead and we have to fight for it.

All I'm saying is...you look at the way our D played this week and we have a chance against anyone. It's easy to point out some of the better offenses out there and say they'll destroy us on paper, but if you look at position by position there are very few in the league that has our overall talent.

dolfan7171 and ToddsPhins like this.
  10. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Definitely possible but we need to see more from this offense. The 2nd half of last weeks game was just like last year, got the lead and let off the accelerator. While that could've been due to the wind or Buffalo's secondary. I really think we will need to open up the offense to beat these teams coming up. While the defense looked incredible, lets be honest it was the Bills we played. I think like other posters have stated we will know a whole lot more about this team after our game with the viqueens.

dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Agreed.

Come week 12, if Henne has a 70-something QBR we are 6-5. If Henne has an 80-something QBR we are 8-3.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think he’ll need to be in the mid-90s for us to be 8-3. But you’re right, the higher Henne’s QBR (and YPA) the better.

gafinfan likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think many fans and analysts aren't giving Buffalo enough respect.

Buffalo's 2009 passing D stats:
    -2nd in PASSER RATING allowed at 61%.
    -2nd in pass yards allowed, 184.2
    -3rd in Completion percentage, 56%.
    -2nd in YPC allowed, 6.0
    -2nd in pass TDs allowed, 14
    -2nd in INTS, 28
    -3rd in 1st downs allowed
    -3rd in 20+ yards allowed
    -5th in 40+ yards allowed

Even with the dropped passes and wind, Henne's performance was equal or better than what Buffalo averaged giving up last season. Henne could've easily ended up 24/34 with 250 yards, 1TD & a passer rating of 100+, where as Green was lucky to have the inflated stats that he had. We missed a Marshall TD (most likely due to the wind) that would've had us at 20-10 (not including the safety). We missed a FG due to the wind which would've then made it 23-10 (not including the safety). Our defense is predicated upon attacking and creating opportunities for us to see turnovers. We did IN FACT create those opportunities but we whiffed on the actual turnovers. If we converted 1 of those defensive opportunities (picked off the ball) then the score's now 30-10 w/o including the safety. If Buffalo punts the ball instead of giving the easy 2 points, then we're at least in immediate FG position if Smith doesn't take it to the house instead. That makes it 33-10 or possibly 37-10. If we pick both passes, it's potentially 44-10, and that's from playing conservative football. However Buffalo left no plays or opportunities on the field. They were realistically maxed out at 10 points. Plus we dominated TOP, total yards, had 0 turnovers, and 1 penalty.

IMO the important thing is that both our offense AND defense are creating opportunities to make big plays, hence giving us a chance to put some points on the board and force opponents into more mistakes. Sooner or later, that'll come to fruition. I'd be worried if the Bills score was 15-10 and we left no plays on the field.

dolfan7171, frozenfin, KeyFin and 5 others like this.
  14. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Asking 4-0 is alittle much. I think we can do it but like Griddles said I would not bet on it. We are about to go thru the three hardest weeks in a row of the whole year. I really just hope we beat the Jets and Pats.

15. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    wow what a diffrence one game over the hapless bills make. I'll blow up my eightball why resting on my nards if we win the next 3 weeks. happly

16. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I'm always down with some optimism... If we get by the Vikes with a win I think it's totally possible! Then again, if we lost one, this would be the week to do it... Stay undefeated in the division.

The Patsies look pretty scary after week 1 though. I was never scared of the JESTS though, with or without Holmes. Especially if our D keeps it up.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    We match up very well with the Vikings and Jets. The Pats, not so much. I'm thinking 3-1.

18. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No. Not with the injuries at LB and DL and the still not-in-synch offense.

I would be happy with a 2-2 or even 3-3 start in the first 6. This is a brutal schedule.

With Odrick out V Jets (and with Merling already gone) it will be tough to stop the Jets running game unless someone steps up uncharacteristically. We don't have the depth we once did on the DL or at LB and that hurts.

19. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Well, signing Adalius Thomas (if healthy), and a Charles Grant/Marques Douglas would help depth! Or just move Starks back to DE and start Soliai. McDaniels helps a lot too. We'll be okay depth wise. Just resigned Walden and Dotson as well.

I would feel satisfied going into the BYE week at 3-1, 2-2 wouldn't be comfortable. If we're 3-1 we're controlling the division.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    How about this....2-0....

All I'm worried about is Minnesota, stop looking past opponets, and focus on Minnesota....I dont even know who they are playing Week 3....

21. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    2-2 is still probably where it ends up. I would gladly take 3-1. 4-0 just won't happen. As much as I want it to happen, it won't.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't really do the prediction thing, but I've said all along that there was no game on our schedule that wasn't winnable.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I can see 4-0 easily.

This team spends more time on the Pats than anyone else. They'll have something for them.

dolfan7171 and FinFan_Est.1984 like this.
  24. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    I would love to be 3-0 after week 3 with the jests 0-3. I think I would smile a little. I think the idea of beating the vikes is more possible than beating the pats. So if we win sunday maybe 4-0. If not we will be 2-2 at best

25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We didn't have Odrick last year, yet we beat the Jets twice. NY playing w/o Jenkins is a tougher blow than us not having Odrick IMO.

I'm not sure I understand your logic on this one. We have a better starting group of LBs than we did last year, yet it's our reserves that will hurt us?

Soliai is much improved, as is McDaniel and Langford, so I'm not as worried about our Dline.

26. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'll gladly take 3-1 as long as the loss is to Minny on sunday. Give me 3-0 in the division and I'll be a very happy camper.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  27. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    4-0 seems like one of the things that I hope for every year but never get. Dolphins haven't started 2-0 (or 3-0) since 2002. They did start out 5-1 that year, and of course collapsed at the end.

I hope we start 4-0, but I wouldn't put money on it. 3-1 going into the bye would be great, of course I'd love if those 2 more wins were over the Jets and Patriots. It's been a while since the Vikings lost a home game.However, in 08 we did hand the Patriots their first home loss since 2006. Maybe we can do it.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  28. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Nope you are not an idiot in my book. I see a 4-0 record coming.

29. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think 4-0 is out of reach. I think there is an even chance at 3-1 and 1-3, with 2-2 being the most likely scenario, IMHO. I love my Phins, but until the offense shows me they can dictate the game to the defense... and NOT the other way around... this team is an 8-8 squad with our schedule.

I'm pleased to see we have a pass rush, which was my biggest concern going into the season, but now my focus is on the QB. Henne needs to step it up. Otherwise, we won't be beating many favored opponents, which is what it will take to get us above .500 at the end of the year.

I hope I'm wrong. I would be tickled pink with 4-0.

30. Bpk

The best solution, IMO is to play run downs with Starks back at RDE, Soliai at NT, and Langford at LDE.

We may have Adalius Thomas by then too.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  31. Bpk

Beat me to it! Good ideas, bro.

32. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I remember playing in a high school game against Dillard at their homecoming on Halloween night back in the 90's (the year they won the state title or lost in the title game..can't remember now); and the atmosphere was brutal. Dillard had outscored all of their opponents by 40+ up until that point, couldn't be touched on offense, and my lowly Nova Titans were like 4-4 at that point.

Our coach swore up and down that we could win though...just play smart football and forget about what people say is possible. He preached so much, in fact, that we started believing...even though we had absolutely no business doing so, and when we took the opening kickoff all the way to the house I though a riot was going to erupt in Lockart Stadium.

We were tied 7-7 at halftime and held them under 100 yards total offense, and by the time we took the field once again we all believed that the game was ours. They quickly scored another TD and we never found the endzone again, but from that moment on I never doubted the power of believing in yourself. If Miami takes the field as a team Sunday with the confidence that they should have, Minnesota is going down.

Okay, I'm done reliving childhood memories...now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

dolfan7171 and Mcduffie81 like this.
  33. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    offense has to step up, all very doable. the fix may already be in...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't trust Henne enough to predict 4-0. I'm still not convinced he is as good as some would make him out to be though he very well may prove me wrong.

35. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Your phone is ringing....it's me, calling your bluff. :shifty:

36. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i predicted 5-3 / 4-4 over the first half ... due to our OLBs and still relative inexperience in the secondary ... we got solid play all around last week -- which bodes well for 5-3 .... it's our second half that we can storm through .... at 6-2 to the playoffs

all 7 remaining games are against good teams .... there won't be any blowouts -- just tough hard nosed games every week ..... of course i want to win both home division games - and recent history says that they will be close -- i'll be very, very happy to come away with 3-1, with the loss to MIN ... but i think we win the next 2 and lose to NE --- why, because these next 2 all we have to do is shut down the run ... not so easy against the PATSIES ....

37. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I think I'll hold my prediction until week 5 at the least.

38. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Thats not saying much....

39. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I believe we can go 4-0. Although I really would like to see a division sweep of everyone.

40. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    One game at a time. I'll be surprised if we win this week and I spent a lot of money to be there. I think it is too muck to ask with Henne missing an open Marshall all day and a questionably expensive O line. The viking are going to pressure. Never hurts to hope though.

Would be nice to spend a bunch to go to a game that they win.