1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else think RT17 is...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ET7, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    Yeah, I don't know. I love athletes (and racing drivers) who aren't like the rest of them, who have their own strong personality. Maybe that's why I love that money sign.:lol:

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    That is media hype. He is a young man who wants to enjoy his college experience and just because he is in the spotlight, he gets a lot of negative publicity. I'm an old man and I enjoy his free spirit and I would have no problem with him being drafted by the Dolphins.

No one in Miami would hate him if he came here and led this team to the playoffs on a regular basis. Heck, three years ago Lebron James was voted the least popular player in the NBA because of the way he decided to come to Miami. Miami fans certainly didn't hate him and now James is once again one of the most popular players in all of sports. Championships have a way of making all fans get over their dislike of sports figures.

Speedy likes this.
  3. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I agree. Winning is the best band aid. My point is I think it's way too early to turn away from RT. That is all.

jw3102 likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't understand why people are writing Tannehill off as a bust. He's for the most part been a pretty good, promising player, but he's not a finished product yet and he needs to fix the flaws that are coming out so far.

The Henne 2.0 comments are just really baffling. They're nothing alike.

5. Speedy

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    That's true. But IF we get a new GM and coaches, and Ryan continues with those turnovers, I won't mind Johnny. And only Johnny (and maybe Bridgewater, but he's gonna go to JAX).

6. Rilo

Rilo New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    With Mike Sherman as our OC Tannehill hasn't had a steep learning curve. The problem is we have seen how far Sherman can take this young man. It is time for Sherman to go. If Sherman doesn't go this year it will be another head coaching change next year. I do believe this team is losing faith in Tannehill. This upcoming year's QBs look a lot better then last years I strongly think we pick up another qb.

7. Speedy

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    Right now I don't know if we're all just overreacting after another tough loss, because we had much higher expectations when the season began. Those changed at the beginning of October though.

8. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    not giving up on Tannehill yet, needs to have better pocket awarness, o-line and Sherman not having him roll out more is part of the problem.
    He has more fumbles from all of last season already.

9. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I'm ok with looking into options every year, but to me Tanne hasn't been the problem, he's been the best Qb we've had in a long time. His game was fine and he's getting better at putting it in the end zone. If Wallace or Clay make a play were looking at 3 tds on the road. Forcing it to Wallace has not been helpful this year though, and caused a pick (and I'm not counting the last one). Also unfortunately Wallace is a huge waste, the guy doesn't fight for the ball or run routes/get open.

I also dont see how he wont naturally get better at things like feeling the rush and decision making. I'm more concerned with coaching at this point (and GM). The team doesn't seem to respond well and comes out super flat some games (like Buff). Coaches seem stubborn and won't do what anyone with a brain sees (roll outs, running game).

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You can enjoy college without being a spoiled fratboy douchebag.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Exactly, he doesn't need to act like Ryan Leaf.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  12. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Johnny Manziel the person has nothing to do with me wanting him on our team. One would argue that Dan Marino was kind of a douche bag college kid too and it was clearly obvious that John Elway was a spoiled brat as well. Johnny Manziel has a blue collar swag to him though. He's a tough guy at the end of the day, he's a football player all the way through, he's a winner, and he competes at the highest level with anyone!
    Ryan Tannehill is a robot much like Chad Henne is, and that is why I make the comparison. Tannehill lacks fire while showing zero emotion out there. He has no command of this offense or the players and he refuses to make others accountable for their actions. To me thats a backup QB. Phillip Rivers will get in your *** if you mess something up as will Tom Brady. Dan Marino did the same thing. Peyton Manning is a friggin BOSS on the field with his team. Eli Manning leads by example as does Aaron Rodgers so there are different ways to go about doing it. Tannehill is robotic in every sense in my opinion. It takes more than just talent to win in this league. I believe that if you have the right kind of guy leading you it will a lot of the time override good talent. Right now we have a lot of good talent on this team but no leadership...To me thats a big flaw and it lands on the shoulders of Ryan Tannehill. He's playing scared and he's too worried about making his daddy Mike Sherman mad.
    This is yet again why I bring up Pat Devlin...I'm not saying he's the answer but this guy is itching in the worst way to play and get a fair shot at QB in this league. Pat Devlin goes his own way and this dates back to his college days....Not gonna play me at Penn State..Fine i'll go somewhere I can play and i'll light it up. He's a competitor and he's got some fire to him...Saw that in preseason from him. He deserves a chance at atleast one friggin start....Forget Matt Moore...he's another one that just plays like a robot. I have no interest in seeing Matt Moore.. I'd say we'll just ride it out with Tannehill the rest of the way and then evaluate things at seasons end but I don't agree with it. I've seen enough in my opinion and as bad as I want to believe in Ryan Tannehill I just don't see it happening for him.

jpep13 likes this.
  13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know Tannehill has had a rough go this season, but I really can't believe so many people are writing him off already. Maybe he won't pick it up, I really don't know, but I don't see how a determination is clear either way.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but he's clearly different (in a good way) from any other QB we've had since Marino IMO.

Finrunner and DolfanTom like this.
  14. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Tannehill also needs a new QB coach. I have always been sceptical of hiring a young inexperienced QB coach who happens to be Mike Sherman's son in-law. Tannehill has issues with turnovers, vision, pocket movemenet and deep ball accuracy. Tannehill is not developing as he should. He makes the same mistakes over and over.

maynard likes this.
  15. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I agree with this, i said this a few weeks ago, take charge, talk to you players on the sidelines, he does not do that, get that fire going.

(Quote)- Ryan Tannehill is a robot much like Chad Henne is, and that is why I make the comparison. Tannehill lacks fire while showing zero emotion out there. He has no command of this offense or the players and he refuses to make others accountable for their actions. To me thats a backup QB. Phillip Rivers will get in your *** if you mess something up

16. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yes you can, but being a 21 year old and acting like a spoiled frat boy douchebag is not uncommon for already spoiled college football stars. He just gets more media coverage than a lot of other spoiled college players because he won the Heisman last year.

In fact I remember when I was in college years ago and we had plenty of spoiled frat boys and girls on campus who acted like jerks. I'm sure they outgrew this type behavior in later years, just as he will.

17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Look, losing sucks, and I'm not happy. People want to blame the coaches, the QB, the line, whatever.

I'm just saying this, we are still a rather young, inexperienced team. My guess is that has a lot to do with while we're losing these close games.

cdz12250 likes this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Ryan Leaf was a spoiled frat boy douchebag. You want to draft the next Ryan Leaf?

19. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I'm not giving up on him, but I want to see a great deal of improvement from him over the remainder of the season. He appeared earlier in the season to be improving, but lately he seems to have regressed.

He started the season throwing few interceptions, but these have spiked in the past few games. He still doesn't appear to have awareness in the pocket and his deep throws to Wallace have been very inconsistent all season long. Perhaps with a much better OL, his play would be better, but right now he needs to show a lot more than he has so far this season and especially in the past four games.

Now that he will probably be without one of his top receivers for the rest of this season, Tannehill has to step up and make those around him better. That is what quality QB's do.

20. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I think majority agrees with this. But that is besides the point.
    The arguments are about underlying issues: pocket presence, footwork, WCO, ability to draft, system with too much shot gun, etc.

21. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm seeing A TON of people wanting Philbin fired and I don't agree with it. In fact, I think it's unfair to even bring it up. He hasn't been great but he's not even half way through his second year as a head coach. We have a widely young team led by an inexperienced QB. Calling for Ireland's head is completely understandable. But Philbin's? Nope. Sorry. Not right now.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    True, but something's not right with this team. Especially this offense. We have Wallace... we send him deep non stop almost. Why not underneath on a slant more often? Maybe more WR screens? Something... Anything... Why does he continue to allow Sherman to abandon the run, we ran for I think it was 108 yards in the first half, and ran I think someone said 5 times in the second half. That's inexcusable if true. He needs to start taking control.

However, I think regardless... Ireland and Philbin will both be back next year, that gives them both 3 years along with Tannehill. All bets are likely off from there. Afterall, thats probably why Ireland got the extension he did, so their contracts line up.

Im not saying is right, or wrong... but its bound to happen if this teams keeps playing like this.

23. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ryan Leaf was not near the QB that Manziel is. He had one decent season at Washington State and that is it. As far as drafting Manziel goes. What I want is for Tannehill to prove he is the long term answer for the Dolphins at the QB position. I actually thinks he deserves this year and next year to prove this. So therefore I really don't see the need to draft Manziel if he enters the draft in 2014.

If Tannehill can't show in the next year and a half that he is the long term answer for the Dolphins. I will be on here demanding they do what is necessary to draft Jameis Winston in the 2015 draft. I believe Winston will be the best QB in the draft in the next few years and could eventually be as good as Andrew Luck in the NFL.

My view of Manziel is that he is a young guy who is acting like many other college students who do dumb things to draw attention to themselves. He also happens to be a great college QB and if the Dolphins did happen to end up drafting him, (which I don't think they will), I would be fine with it.

24. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I have been calling for the firing of Ireland for the past three years and nothing has changed on that topic. As far as Philbin goes, I'll leave that up to the next GM. If he wants to retain Philbin for another year to see how that works out, I'm okay with that. Yet if a new GM comes in and wants to hire his own HC and even draft his own QB, I would be okay with that too.

All I know is that if he stays beyond this year, Philbin needs to hire better assistants then he has right now. Many of them just aren't getting the job done.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    RG3, Russel Wilson and Andrew Luck were young guys who didn't act like total douchebags.

26. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That's fair. I just think he should get a real chance to turn things around when there's adversity. People were calling for his head since week 5. That's asinine.

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    When Tannehill had time, in the first half for example, he was really, really good. When he was running for his life, taking hits and rushing every throw....he wasn't very effective. If you can't see the difference between the first and 2nd half then you were not watching the game or you are a really, really dumb fan who shouldn't be commenting on the Qb position. Honestly a lot of our fan base is just a notch above the Jest fan base....maybe.
    t

Griese's Glasses likes this.
  28. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Honestly....Im more tired of some of the fans....then I am of loosing. It makes coming here to talk about things when your disappointed gut wrenching. Getting to the point where you just want to stay away

brandon27 likes this.
  29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It's a lot worse on twitter. Like, 10x worse.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    At least it is not as bad as YouTube comments.

31. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm sure there are many players who don't act like him. I just don't sit around and judge 21 year old college students and determine that they are total douchebags because they don't act like I might want them too. If he is still acting like this in 5-6 years, I'll probably have a different view of his behavior at that time.

Not all young people act the way you feel they should. I haven't read anything that states he has killed anyone, raped anyone or committed any other type of felony. When he does one of these things, I'll change my view of him just acting in an immature manner at this time. If you want to judge him, fine with me. I just have a lot more tolerance for young people and young adults. I figure the vast majority of stupid behavior is outgrown as people age and become more mature.

Perhaps he will turn out to be a complete moron and never change, as has happened with Leaf. While I don't think this will happen, even if it does, it will only hurt him in the long run. It certainly will not hurt you or me in any way. Some people just take longer to grow up and act in a mature manner. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Obviously you are not.

32. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    No he was not. He threw to Gibson late and inaccurate, on the play Gibson got hurt. Gibson ran a crossing route from left to far right and Tannehill threw it to him at the very end when he was covered. He had time, he was not good.
    Then on the following play, he had a boundary receiver, i think it was clay, in single coverage on a comeback route, he decided to throw to Mathews short of the 1st down marker into triple coverage, ball got knocked loose.
    even when he has time, he is not making timely, correct reads and accurate throws. he is not making winning plays.
    And when he has less time, like in the second half when NE decided to blitz him, the problem is worse.

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Agreed.

34. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON

Why can't more people actually watch the game like you before posting?

35. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    So he's not perfect.....even Manning misses throws. Your expectations are ridiculous. If you didn't think he played well in the first half they you don't have a clue about judging the Qb position and your opinion is valueless.

36. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Im not for firing Philibin necessarily but if we hire a new GM he's probably done, not really fair but it is what it is. I think we have to win 9 games for Philibin and Ireland to have a shot at coming back next year and that looks like a pipe dream right now.

37. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON

Blaming Tannehill for the Gibson injury is outrageous. He had two passing TDs by continually picking up 1st on short pass plays. He was golden the first half when he wasn't rushed out of the gates. I'm not sure how you can call the first-half QBing anything other than "good" in my opinion.

Then again...haters can and will hate.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Most good NFL quarterbacks in today's NFL were not huge douchebags in college. In fact, generally speaking douchebags in college become douchebags in the NFL. He might mature, however I doubt he will. He hasn't so far.

39. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    He is far from perfect and no one is perfect. But he is making consistently more losing plays over the course of a game. Moreover, you can forget the deep ball accuracy, he consistently hangs the ball in the air and short. There are plays he can make, like 3 step drop short end or slant route, or a short comeback. That's about it. He is good for no more.

40. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Tannehill lacks fire? I love these comments from fans because they are based on ABSOLUTELY nothing. They have zero insight into what happens in that huddle and they sound like idiots when they bring these empty arguments to the table. Tannehill may not be the answer, but please stop with the " he isnt Marino" bull****. It took Peyton Manning time to be who he is. Took Brees some time. Give him the rest of the year.