1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone get razor burn?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by McLovin, Jul 22, 2012.

1. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    The hair on my face grows pretty quick and thick, after I shave i get really bad razor burn on my neck on both sides, it looks horrible. Because of this I cant shave every day. I've tried all the tricks, switching razors (I used a mach 5 right now), changing shaving creams, heating up a towel, single blade razors, aftershaves, tend skin and nothing seems to work. I had an electric razor in the past and I am hearing that is the way to go but I just dont like them.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Try exfoliating before you shave, and shaving at the end of your shower. Exfoliating will get rid of any dead skin. Doing it in the shower will make sure your skin isn't dry either.

McLovin likes this.
  3. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Just use an electric. One thing to note with electric is it takes a few months for your skin to adapt to the electric. You will get a close shave before that happens. I've also noticed that cheap and expensive electrics get the same shave for me. I just get a medium grade one and have had great results.

If you insist on shaving with a razor and get razor burn then take the proper steps with heating, exfoliate, oil, etc. But more importantly, never go against the grain. If you go with the growth pattern you wont irritate the skin as bad. That and don't let it get long, if you're pulling the hair because its longer its going to cause more irritation.

McLovin likes this.
  4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Darn, sounds like you're not McLovin it at all. :chuckle:

I have pretty sensitive skin and do my shaving in the shower like Stringer Bell mentioned to do. It definitely helps. If you don't have one, get a little mirror for it.
    The only razor that works for me is:

[​IMG]

For me personally, these do the least pulling, and it's only 3 blades going over the skin which I find causes less irritation than any of that 5 blade stuff.
    Paired with Gillette Fusion HydraGel, I get the best shave. Also, make sure you're not going heavy on any type of moisturizer which can overly soften the skin and in turn making shaving a real pain.

TBH, if the above razor doesn't work, you might want to try a lady's razor and see if that helps, crazy as it sounds. There was a period where the one that shaved the easiest for me was actually the 2 bladed, pink, Gillette Daisy [Ultra Grip].

[​IMG]

As far as electric goes, the Remington shavers with the circular shaped blades are rough on me (do a lot of pulling and cause too much irritation).
    I found the Braun stuff to be the easiest shaving, especially the Syncro and am glad I spent the $120+ on it.
    [​IMG]

IIRC companies have changed the motors used in some of these, and not all are as good as ones of the past (I returned a $170 Braun b/c, despite the advanced technology of it compared to my 7 year old Syncro, the motor was inferior and actually shaved worse b/c of it) so you might want to do some research if you go the electric route.

Also, if you know any black guys, talk to them. They often have skin sensitivity to shaving, and there are "anti bump" products in the African American section of a drug store that cater to it.

If none of this works, I'd perhaps recommend becoming a lumberjack.

McLovin likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Use butter.

finyank13, SICK and McLovin like this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'm one that goes against the grain as I need that smooth feel. My neck is generally sensitive and I find most aftershaves actually burn me badly. Personally, I use the Bannana Boat after-sun aloe gel as an aftershave. It helped me with sun poisoning years ago so I figured it could help with razor burn. :lol: The aloe is key, as that is what helps with burns.

Heat is definitely key. Shower is probably your best bet. And do it at the end of your shower, when your skin is most hydrated and the pores are more open. I use the Pro Glides as the blades are thinner. If you use blades, make sure you keep sharp. A dull razor will contribute to bumps and irritation. Electrics always tore my neck up, though it's been years since I've tried one.

When done, use cold water on your face to rinse and cool. Then whatever aloe/aftershave you choose.

McLovin likes this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    For a long time I had a lot of the symptoms of sensitive skin that many others describe: reddening of the skin (especially on the neck), general uncomfort, having to use a compress etc. I used an electric for 7 or 8 years and I found it actually made me less sensitive to blades. Now Im back to using a mach 4 and thats the most comfortable shave Ive ever had. A splash of hot water before applying the shaving cream works for me. I almost look forward to shaving. A few years ago I got a gift of Armani cologne that came with the aftershave....I usually just dab a q-tip full of the stuff on my neck and its perfect...much less sensitive to that then the stuff I used to use.

McLovin likes this.
  8. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    ditto with the electric. I used to be very sensitive to razors so gave them up for an electric for a while....years in fact. now i go back and forth and razor doesnt bother me thanks to the electric conditioning my skin

McLovin likes this.
  9. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Thanks guys! I had one person I talked to suggest using hair conditioner. That my hair is really thick on my face so the conditioner will soften it up and reduce the amount of ingrowns caused by the blades. I had to go to wal-mart today so i picked up a mid range electric and some stuff called bump rescue. Like Boik was saying, maybe my skin came to a point where it just reacts to the blades too much and if do the electric thing for awhile, it will help desensatize by skin. I'm going to force myself to use the electric and I will just use the razor for trimming up the goatee and the stragglers. Damn shame, I have like 30 blades for that thing.. lol.

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    [​IMG]

SICK and McLovin like this.
  11. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Grow a beard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

McLovin likes this.
  13. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka

Your mom doesnt get razor burn.

[​IMG]

14. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [​IMG]

dolfan32323, SICK and ToddPhin like this.
  15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have the same issues with razor burn / ingrown hair. I've tried just about everything with no ideal solution. What's worked best is going back to the traditional Mach 3 razor -

[​IMG]

For some reason, the new iterations of this cause me many more issues with ingrown hairs and razor burns but the classic is much better and easier on my skin.

16. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Use Neat. :shifty:

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I pluck my hair out, one by one, with tweezers.......like men should.....

dolfan32323, ToddPhin and finyank13 like this.
  18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Wax your face stoooooooooooopid.....

McLovin and ToddPhin like this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think you have this thread confused with the eyebrow maintenance one that FinaciousD started.

McLovin likes this.
  20. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    1. Dry Shave with t-outliners.
    2. Dry shave with Wahl 5 Star Shaver
    3. Apply none grease based product. I use skin-tight

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :escape2:

McLovin likes this.
  22. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I actually do the opposite of most people - rather than buy a super-expensive razor, I just use the disposable 2-blade ones. I throw them away after 2-3 shaves so they never sit or dull much. I also use aftershave like crazy.

No idea how people use the electric razors. My neck looked like a pepperoni pizza after a few rounds with that damn thing.

McLovin likes this.
  23. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    the same tweezers you urinate with? :wink2:

MonstBlitz, finyank13 and ToddPhin like this.
  24. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Always wondered how often most people shave? I shave twice a week only. I used to shave every third day but I tended to forget when I shaved last :lol: So now it's only twice a week, generally Sun and Wed...

Razor burn? Never had it. Always shave straight after a shower. Hot water on the face before putting shaving cream on. I've used Gillette blades all my life. Started with Sensor Excel... now use Mach 3. Tried Fusion, but really too expensive. I actually started out with electric shavers but once I tried shaving cream and a manual blade, you just can't go back... ever... It's like sex without a condom :shifty: Once you have that, condoms become obsolete.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So what you're saying is your beard's gonna fall off soon? :lol:

Paul 13 likes this.
  26. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Buy a beard trimmer, set it to its closest setting and live with a very short bit of stubble. Worked for me, and you can get a beard trimmer for 1/4 of the price of an electric shaver.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I shave whenever I feel like it, in the shower just using water and a crappy *** inexpensive razor you get in those packs of like 20. Also I use the same one for MONTHS.

Im a real man. Oh yeaaaaa

28. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I dont shave as often as most guys, usually just twice a week or so, unless Im going to an important function. I cannot grow a beard, even though I turn 35 this week. Ive joked for years that "well, I'll grow one when I turn such and such...". Ive given up on that, and realize that its likely never going to happen. If I dont shave for three days or three weeks, it looks the same. Thin on the chin and mustache area, and smooth in between. Basically, I look like a college freshman trying to look cool and failing miserably. I have very fair skin and light brown hair, which doesnt help matters, but my dad and brother can grow beards, as could my grandfather and uncles. I guess I must get the genes from my mom's side.

The problem that I have is that I tend to cut myself VERY easily when I do shave, and bleed for a long time when it happens. After trying a lot of different things, I settled on using the Mach 3 and Edge gel, and have good sucess with that. Maybe I'll be able to grow a beard before my hair turns grey....but probably not.