1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone going to watch Senior bowl?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Jan 29, 2011.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Kaepernick would set us back at least 2 years. He's like Mark Sanchez (not player wise)...he is a project that has A LOT to learn and the only way he will be successful his first few seasons, is if he is carried by the team around him. I really don't see many positives in Kaepernick, other than his speed, which is almost a turnoff for me. 1 good week of practice doesn't make you an NFL caliber QB.

I much rather go with someone like Ponder, Stanzi, or McElroy in the 5th-7th rounds than someone like Kaepernick, Newton, or Gabbert in the first 2 rounds.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Hunter's not gotten much of a chance yet. You have to account for what the guys have shown during the week and both Bilal Powell and Kendall Hunter by all means had people real excited this week. Demarco Murray a little as well, even though I don't like him all that much.

sports24/7 likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I need more tape, and I cant wait for the combine...

He seems to have some real natural talent for being accurate..

Iam not gonna kill him on the quickness thing yet..

The game only made me more interested.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Murray has been overrated for a while IMO. I remember watching the spring game when he was a freshman. He was so talented and had so much explosiveness. Now, meh.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ya had me nodding full agreement until that line. McElroy is at best a backup at the next level. Stanzi not even that. You can't be a "game manager" at the next level as some people are going to see in Stanzi when you make as many bad decisions as he makes. His own coach said in a previous year that Stanzi's football IQ at times is "single digits". He had a low interception count this year but I bet if you REALLY looked, you'd find those bad decisions, and you'd find some dropped interceptions and defenses missing opportunities...cuz Bad Stanzi sure showed up in the bowl game.

Ponder is probably as much of a project as Kaepernick truthfully because he doesn't have the physical skill set to get away with anything. He's further along than Kaepernick definitely but Kaepernick has the physical skills and ability to make plays that give him cushion, he doesn't HAVE to be perfect. Christian Ponder has a smaller margin for error, he has to be perfect...and he's not close, not yet.

Bpk likes this.
  6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Kaepernick won't set you back unless you start him immediately. If you draft him, you obviously have to have a vet QB in the meantime. I don't think Ponder makes it anywhere near the 5th round and Stanzi and McElroy are backups. I didn't watch him a ton in college, but the book on him seems to be a raw QB who had great games and really bad games. I do think there is plenty to like from what I've seen this week. He has a great arm, great athleticism, and seems like a bright kid and a hard worker.

I'm in favor of the Dolphins taking one of the top rated guys in the 1st though. The Dolphins need to find a good QB. If that means having to wait 2 years for him to develop, why should that matter as long as he does? We've seen what happens when they go the other route and have been mediocre or poor for a decade. The safe route doesn't work.

7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Yates!

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Will be interesting to watch the South's Defense on this drive as the North's offense is looking to sustain momentum, to me a really good football player will know this and flash some talent to try and stop this drive.

INOW, let's see who makes a play or three.

BTW to me:

allan Bailey=Everson Griffith

9. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    And that is what I want. I want us to draft a backup if we draft a QB. Give me Dalton, Ponder, Stanzi, or McElroy late in the draft to compete for the number 2 job in Miami and I will be fine. I am more-so leaning towards Ponder, because I think he is the best of the bunch and if Henne can't come through this year with a new playcaller, healthy OL, and playmakers around him, then I'd rather have Ponder step in.

But, I do not think for one second that Henne can't produce without (like I said) playmakers around him, a healthy offensive line, and a good playcaller.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The reason Colin Kaepernick sets you back is he's a multi-year project which means you have to set aside multiple years of NOT drafting or signing his replacement, because everyone is going to want to wait and see if he develops. That sets you back. It's one thing if it's a high percentage player like Gabbert, Newton or Mallett...but Kaepernick is not a high percentage player. He won't/can't start right away. Those others could.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Woof, yeah I disagree about Henne.

12. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    and theres what i hate about Ponder. he has awful awful pocket awareness and presence

13. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Ponder will probably cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick. How does drafting a elite QB prospect set the Dolphins back, but going into the season with Chad Henne and a fallback of a 2nd tier rookie QB the better route?

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My #4 rated QB.

We'll see how he does at the NFLPA game in San Antonio. But that's a pretty low level of competition.

Still, he's another low percentage guy.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're either a fan of Chad Henne or you're not. Just like you're either a fan of Colin Kaepernick or not. I assume you were referring to him as an "elite QB prospect"? Just askin, I don't mind if you believe he is. I just disagree.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    remember, Iam not talkin first round here..

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ponder, imho, looks like a 4th rd pick.

In fact, none of these Qb's look very good to me, Jake Locker had better hope he is not invited to NY for the draft or he will be sitting in the green room for a awhile

18. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I agree with that and that's why I would prefer one of those top guys. If they somehow decide they don't like any of the top guys and feel strongly that they can turn Kaepernick into a good QB then I could accept that. Honestly, if they don't turn this thing around in the next couple years these guys are going to be gone anyway and the new regime will probably bring in their own QB. And if the Dolphins are bad enough this year to be in position for Luck, I doubt having Kaepernick in the fold will prevent them from taking him.

19. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    No. He brought up Newton and Gabbert. Those were the elite QB prospects I meant. I think Kaepernick is a good (EDIT: intriguing) prospect, but nowhere near elite.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow. That was one heck of a throw by Ponder. Definitely looking like the most advanced QB here. Heading into the week I had him as my highest rated Senior Bowl QB and he's looking like it. BUT, that said, I'm still thinking I might bump Kaepernick ahead of him.

djphinfan likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ponder is just so limited to me, to me his game says "backup Qb" and Kaepernick has a good arm, quick feet but he has not shown very much in terms of advanced passing skills imho.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My bad i thought you were referring to Kaepernick as an elite prospect.

sports24/7 likes this.
  23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's fair.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Colin made a nice play on his last one, he instinctively made the right moves around the pocket on a scramble, another QB would of picked the wrong angles and wound up in the arms of defenders.. He got rid of the ball accurately for first down yardage, and it was dropped again.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's a "not so fast" on Colin Kaepernick.

I've been saying for a long time that with Jake Locker having been a four year starter, and still being considered so "raw"...there's an issue there. How can you be a four year starter, be raw as sushi, and two more years will do the trick? Seriously.

But anyway, why isn't the same said about Colin Kaepernick? Seriously, the guy played in high school. He was a four year starter. Why does he still look like a baseball pitcher and not a quarterback? In many ways he's even more raw than Jake Locker. Locker at least has great mechanics and I love the way he keeps his balance and feet under him especially outside the pocket. But, why is Colin Kaepernick still so raw, after four years of starting?

Cam Newton is accused of not being dedicated to the mastery of the quarterback position. He's played ONE year, and made incredible progress during that one season. Why did Colin Kaepernick start all four seasons...and come out more raw as a passer?

Nappy Roots likes this.
  26. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Thank you! this years QB draft sucks. theres only 4 QBs i actually like in the entire draft. 3 of which i wouldnt pick at 15. 2 of which i dont think should come close to first round. more like back end of 2nd early 3rd....

Bpk likes this.
  27. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    He is FAR from elite. If Kaepernick was an "elite" quarterback, people wouldn't be talking about him being selected in the 2nd-3rd round...they would be talking about him being selected top 5 over all. When you are maybe the 5th best QB in a draft class like this, you are far from elite.

Just noticed this. I wouldn't say Newton or Gabbert are "elite" QB prospects either. We aren't talking about Andrew Luck here. He was an elite QB prospect.

28. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I didn't see any full time NFL starter at QB at this game. Ponder came the closest.

Had Newton, Gabbert and Mallet been allowed in this game it would have been emvarassing

ckparrothead likes this.
  29. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Ponder is the best quarterback prospect in this draft. He's got a lot of Chad Pennington in him. He anticipates routes well, has a great feel for the pocket, handles pressure well, is very very smart, makes good decisions, and is accurate with the ball.

According to Ron Jaworski, there are four things a NFL quarterback MUST have:

*the ability to read coverages during the dropback
    *the ability to plant the back foot while knowing where to throw
    *the ability to deliver the ball with timing and anticipation
    *the ability to pass accurately

Christian Ponder has all of those qualities. He's not a project. You aren't going to have to teach him how to make presnap reads. You aren't going to have to teach him how to drop back from under center. You aren't going to have to teach him how to read coverages during the drop back. You aren't going to have to teach him how to throw with timing and anticipation. Christian Ponder has enough physical skills that his mental skills carry him above every other quarterback in the draft. The only project that I would consider close to him is Blaine Gabbert, and you are going to have to teach him everything that Christian already knows how to do.

Christian Ponder is the #1 quarterback on my board.

30. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    what???

how much have you watched him? cuz its actually the exact opposite for Ponder

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ponder is a project of whom I've heard his throwing motion is going to cause him further arm injuries.

Cannot find a link for that as I've flipped throw dozens of webpages but it was said.

Noel Devine maybe carrying a UDFA grade (per rotoworld) ?

He would be a nice pickup in the 7th rd if that is true.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought Patrick Devlin was?

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Just an idea: I actually wouldn't mind filling offensive needs in FA and trading back to grab Phil Taylor for our Dline rotation. Phil, Soliai, and Starks/Langford would be an absolutely dominating front IMO. Opposing ground games would clog up like a Taco Bell toilet. Pockets would collapse like Anna Nicole Smith's lung.

LBs could roam sideline to sideline w/o treading through as much trash. We could put a guy like Dontay Moch on the field to be our Patriot killer..... or how about Von Miller running around in space at ILB, blitzing, or dropping into coverage behind those guys?

If I could trade Odrick & Merling for Phil Taylor, their bags would be packed yesterday....... especially if it meant the Jets not getting him.

34. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I think defensive line may be our least needed position of our entire team.

And why would you want to trade Odrick? We haven't even seen him yet? What if he turns out to be far and away better than Phil Taylor? What if Merling bounces back and becomes a great DE for us?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't get why people are on board with moving Odrick. Not the first time I read it here either. The guy is a huge talent and has a lot of potential.

36. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Devlin is now 2 or 3 on my board.

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Couldnt agree more, Odrick was moving the LT's backwards and playing with a very high motor...when healthy having Odrick and Misi attacking the right side will be a huge advantage.

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

For some reason when I see him i think if he comes in and sits for a year or two he has the potential to be Matt Schaub....not sure why but thats what comes to my mind everytime I see him.

39. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    My top 6 QB Prospects in this draft:

1. Christian Ponder/Florida State
    2. Pat Devlin/Delaware
    3. Blaine Gabbert/Missouri
    4. T.J. Yates/North Carolina
    5. Ricky Stanzi/Iowa
    6. Greg McElroy/Alabama

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    we have yet to see the lethal hands of ''Hong Kong Phuey'' in action.

ToddsPhins likes this.