1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone going to watch Senior bowl?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    B/c he's injury prone, this is at least his 2nd break, and his leg has a decent chance of having future problems b/c of where his break was. Simply, he's now a risk, just like Smiley and Grove became risks after their injuries. He might be lucky to see an entire season of play.......... which is why I'd take a draft pick for him while I can rather than rolling the dice.

We have Starks, Langford, and McD (hopefully) at end which makes Merling unnecessary..... and their play this year showed that Odrick wasn't missed either.

Soliai is the guy who makes our entire defense work IMO..... and if he goes down, then everything changes on defense. I'd rather have another imposing force who can spell Soliai than a 4th or 5th DE.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cap environment Bro, McD will be moving on, but between Merling and Odrick we have him covered.

I'm with Alen, Odie was a beast at PSU, he broke his foot last yr which ended his season, his leg had healed.

As for the Senior Bowl itself, to me I liked the job Niles did on special teams, thought the defenses played well and thought Hankerson is going to be a really good pick for someone, saw a parade of undersized running backs and some mediocre Qb play.

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    His play at PSU has nothing to do with the fact that he fractured his leg this year and then later broke it. How much of a beast has he been in Miami? lol. He's not a beast when he's not on the field.

These breaks put him at a much higher risk for future problems that cant just be ignored as if they never happened..... and the kid could flat out have problems with his bones. He lasted to #26 so it's entirely possible that other teams thought he was a risk just as teams were swayed away from Merling. I learn from my mistakes (Smiley & Grove) and try not to repeat them; however this regime loves acquiring injury risks, so we'll probably keep him.

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word elite. You're right, that should really be saved for guys like Luck/Manning/Elway types. What I meant though was top level prospects. 1st round guys with franchise/Pro Bowl potential. Usually there are about 2 in every draft. This year IMO there are 3 (Gabbert, Newton, and Mallett).

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I had thought that, but you'll notice he thought they were going to punt and was running off the field when, in surprise, he found out there was a flag. He then signalled that to the coaches.

The fact that he did not know there was a flag, but threw that crap pass, does not reflect well on him.

ckparrothead likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We have an idea of what to look forward to from him and he had a small stress fracture in his shin, that healed, it was his foot that broke that ended his season and he has began running so he should be fine for 2011.

Smiley and Grove had structural issues, Smiley's shoulder was gone, Grove's shoulder as well but both had played on their injuries, Odie just broke his foot.

Injuries happen, now it could be true that he is the type of player who has injury issues for his entire career no doubt about it, the again maybe he won't and giving up on a player after 1yr is a bit rash, especially one who can be a key in a upgrade of the passrush.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    A risk is a risk..... and with his injuries adding up, he's a risk (especially with his injuries coming from a similar area- lower legs and down). Some bodies are more injury prone than others, and it's possible that he's one of them. There's enough talent in rounds 2-3 that I'd personally trade him in for a guy with no injury history. No offense, but you act like he hasn't already missed an entire season of football.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Similar area? He broke his other foot bro, this is not ACL tear ontop of another ACL tear.

Greg McElroy broke his hand in the Senior Bowl:

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/01/alabama-qb-greg-mcelroy-has-cracked.html

I thought he looked decent when he was in the game, thought maybe Stanzi got hot and looked a bit better, but Mcelroy was solid, if boring, would have liked to have seen him try to push the ball deep a bit more.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He didn't, he played in game 1. :shifty:

When I was younger (before I started playing sports) I broke one of my legs. Couldn't have been more than 2 weeks after I got that cast off I broke my other leg (even worse).

Fast forward 20 years though, and aside from a finger or two I've yet to have any other broken bones. No offense, but you act like it's a forgone conclusion that he's going to miss another season, then another, then another.

Also, if Odrick is such a risk, why would anyone else be willing to trade anything over a 5th rd pick for him?

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Odrick is going nowhere, we will have an awesome DL next season...now if we could get an ILB to make some big plays our defense could be flirting with dominant.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Thanks for pointing that out. That's a good point.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Was this when you were younger before you stopped growing? Just curious.

To be fair, it's a little difficult to break bones on the sidelines. :tongue2:

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    For the same reason that we've shelled out millions for injury prone players--- going after the upside and praying nothing else happens. A team that's desperate for Dline help might throw a 3rd for him. All I know is he's moved into the higher risk category.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The moment you offer a guy up for trade, his trade value goes down. Teams are suspicious when you want to bail on a guy you JUST drafted. The talk about trading Odrick is pretty much just fantasy.

Gunner and Stitches like this.
  15. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    IMO a 3rd round pick isn't even close to worth moving Odrick. We're talking about a guy with massive upside. Even if I agreed with the injury risk thing I would not move someone with that kind of ability for a 3rd round pick.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Why would teams be suspicious when our dline was outstanding w/o him?

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Maybe. :shifty: