1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know an awesome place to buy a tv?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Sethdaddy8, Jun 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I belong to BJ's and costco, checked walmart too. I like Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi because their products do give you your moneys worth. Im looking at anywhere from 32 to 46 inch lcd. 720p to 1080p. I have 1 real nice 42" sony thats 1080i. thats in my gaming room/sunday football room. so i dont know if i want to move this out to my living room, and get a 1080p monster, or just keep the 42" where it is, and get a nice subtle 32-37" lcd for the living room. im not looking to break the bank right now, so im leaning towards the 32".

soooo, does anyone know of a great place, either online or in the real world to get a great deal? Thanks in advance.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    brandsmart?

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I got mine from Amazon.com. The guy delivered it, unpacked it, and put it up on the TV stand.

I'd recommend a 7 series Samsung.

Fin D, Sethdaddy8 and The Rev like this.
  4. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

I have a Samsung as well. 1080p and I got it from Best Buy. In hind sight, I should never have paid for the installation. :pity:
    Waste of money but that's why they call it hindsight. :lol:

I'd rather buy from an "established" place then online for TV's. but, that's just me. i bought my 10 megapixel camera from Amazon. :wink2:

Fin D and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
  6. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    in april, i got a samsung ln52a650 from amazon.com. i'd go with a 6 series . . .

what i did was go to bestbuy and write down the model number of the tv i liked. after that i went home and ordered the tv on amazon.com (tax free and no cost for shipping).

the list price at bestbuy was over $2100. amazon had it for $1710.

i figured i saved $400 on the sticker price, and then another $200 in tax (+ i'm not sure if BB would've delivered it to my house). so basically i saved $600 or more.

I'd also check out slickdeals.net

The Rev, Fin D and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Everyone has mentioned some good places. Sony makes a fine LCD (well as good as LCD can be I suppose), Samsung does as well, Toshiba (is fine, but not as good as Sony or Sammy IMO), same goes for the Mitsubishi IMO.

I would go over to the AVS forums and ask for input there as to which tv/brand would be best (with your budget and requirments).

Then, when you do settle on a tv, after you put some use into it (maybe a month? not sure the timeframe for LCD), set up some time to have a professional (not Best Buy) come out and calibrate it.

Personally I'd suggest Plasma over LCD, but that's just me. :tongue2:

Sethdaddy8 and #1 fan like this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    only thing I would suggest if you buy online and its cheap, make sure it does not say it is refurbished. Might want to email the guy and ask............. unless you don't mind it being refurbished.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Samsung B650 series is awesome, 120hz with Automotion which is incredible. I just purchased one a few weeks ago and am in total awe of it.

I work for BB corporate, PM me if you have a specific model you want priced out and I'll see what I can do.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Seth, do you have kids young enough to throw stuff at the TV? Not only is plasma better than LCD, it's a billion times more durable. I've got two little ones and when the guy at the store told me about the durability issue and then slammed his fist against the plasma screen as hard as he could... i was convinced I had to get the plasma (I was thinking LCD before he did that, not knowing what the difference was either, just that LCD's are cheaper). I got my Panasonic Viera last November, no complaints....

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i'd definitely check out avsforums. they have huge threads dedicated to certain tvs. watch out though, because some posters obsess way too much about small technicalities that might stop you from buying the tv you want.

also, i'd say lcd over plasma hands down. lcds look better to me, weigh half as much as plasmas, don't have any burn in issues at all, don't get dimmer with age (although you'd have to use your plasma a long time for this), cost less on your electricity bill and don't get as hot.

there are lcds with glossy panels and high contrast ratios that are just as good or better than plamas. my tv has a semi-glossy pannel and a 50,000:1 contrast ratio. i'm sure the new "b" samsungs are even higher.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thats very generous. thanks bro.

13. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i do have a young daughter, good point.

14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Plasmas don't have burn in issues anymore. You're far more likely to get dead pixels on an LCD than you are to get burn in on a plasma.

Paul 13 likes this.
  15. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    my buddy has a sammy plasma he bought last year that has temporary burn in every now and then. it goes away if he turns the tv on or off, but still an issue you don't have to worry about with lcds.

i know what you mean though. burn in is only a real concern if you watch your plasma on "dynamic" settings 24/7.