1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with good advice on building a house?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Unlucky 13, Apr 23, 2017.

1. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Pouring the basement floor this morning.

upload_2018-12-17_15-27-6.png

ToddPhin and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Floor joists between the basement and 1st floor nearly finished!

upload_2019-1-3_14-22-52.png

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Just a Guy Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Is the area to the left of the flooring all garage? I'm envious. I was into plans with that general shape, and my wife won, lol. Not that I'm unhappy with what we ended up with at all.

4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Yep, that's the garage. And to the back and right will be stairs leading down into the basement so if a repairman needs to service a furnace etc they don't have to go through the entire house.

And my wife has won 99% of the things with this house too. Although, our tastes are extremely similar so not much disagreeing. The one thing I insisted on, and got, was a bar in the basement where I can watch TV, play pool, etc.

Now that you've been in the house for a bit do you wish you would have done anything differently?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife and I generally have about 80% overlap in our tastes as well, with almost everything in life. So its not often a big deal. The things that I would do differently were either ones that she "won" on, or else we didn't do due to added cost.

One would be having tile in the kitchen area of the greatroom, but she had it in her head that hardwood throughout was the way to go. I'm as convinced as ever that continuing the tile from the laundry room into the kitchen would have been better. both aesthetically and practically.

Our builder's standard practice was to make the window frames, doorways, doors and fireplace mantle all solid white. I would have strongly preferred stained wood, but the cost would have been insanely higher. At some point later, we may switch the fireplace framing out.

They also included one beige shade of paint in the whole house, and would have charged thousands extra to do different colors, so for now the interior is kind of drab. At some point, we will paint a lot of the rooms ourselves, but probably not the kitchen due to the cabinets and countertops, and I'm kinda sad about that.

danmarino likes this.
  6. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Lucky! Congrats on the mod-ship!!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thanks man!

8. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Sorry Lucky, I'm with your wife in regards to the hardwood. lol IMO, kitchens look and feel so much better with hard wood over tile. More warm and inviting. Although, we are going to have an hearth area with a fireplace, loveseat and 2 chairs in the kitchen so the hardwood, I think, is almost needed. Here's the main floor plan. The hearth area is in the red outlined area.

upload_2019-1-4_10-16-39.png

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    upload_2019-1-11_8-47-58.png

Basement framing is done. 1st floor subfloor is done. Walls going up fast! :)

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Good luck! I hope that the winter weather misses you.

danmarino likes this.
  11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Thanks dude..

We've been extremely lucky so far. It's been unseasonably warm with not really any snow. There have been 2-3 days missed due to rain believe it or not, but the carpenters make it up by working on the weekend. Which we are extremely grateful for. It's been cold (teens and 20's) the last couple of days so each morning I've been bringing out hot coffee and bagels for the crew. My wife brought them out some fried chicken and soup for lunch yesterday. Hopefully that helps keep them warm and motivated.