1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with good advice on building a house?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Unlucky 13, Apr 23, 2017.

1. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    upload_2019-4-6_17-31-22.png

It's coming along! The weather has been great so that helps. They should have all of the framing done in about 2-3 more weeks. Then they plan on putting the windows in and once everything on the inside is protected from the elements...plumbing electrical and drywall.

KeyFin and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    That's a big friggin' house, man! Congratulations!

danmarino and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It really is! Makes mine look like a guest cottage. :lol:

Are you going to have any usable space above the garage?

4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    lol...Well, with 5 kids you have to have room. Well, I guess you don't "have" to have room, but it makes life easier.

Thanks!

5. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Dude, your house looks awesome from the pics you posted!

My plan for the garage is to have a catwalk above going down the middle so I can store things to either side and easily get to it. We initially thought about making it some sort of bonus room, but as you know, the more finished areas the much higher the cost.

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm going to make all my eventual kids sleep (and work) in the laundry room. I just have to find out how much installing a vault door costs.

ToddPhin and danmarino like this.
  7. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    lol...sounds like a good plan!

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Oh, I'm very happy, and its plenty big enough for my family. Just that yours looks a lot bigger! I know that you have more kids than I do, so thats important. And as my wife and I quickly discovered, the garage can make a house look MUCH bigger than it otherwise is.

My favorite design was a "boomerang" shape, with the garage and first floor bathroom on the lower level of the left side, and the kids bedrooms, bathroom and play room above. But I was overruled.

danmarino likes this.
  9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Currently, my son's bedroom is over our garage. It's not ideal because when he was a baby the garage door would wake him up. However, it does make sense when they are older.

From the garage in our new home you enter the mudroom. There is a half-bath a little further into the house. As you go further the laundry room is on the left and the pantry is across from that. That leads out into the kitchen/hearth area. All the kids bedrooms are upstairs. My wife and I have our bedroom on the main floor on the other side of the house. Basically one half of the main level is my office/den and our bedroom. It will be a nice place to escape the kids when they are older...lol...I also have a TV room/Man-cave in the basement. :)

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Having my TV and the Playstation in our basement has been huge for me. In our old house, the living room and only TV were in the middle of the house, with the master bedroom on one side and the kids rooms on the other. Meant that I had to be whisper quiet after everyone else had gone to bed and hang out in the dark. Now, I can do things at a conversational volume without any worries.

danmarino likes this.
  11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Windows are going in!

upload_2019-5-9_8-29-33.png

12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Question- did either of you consider Tesla's solar tiles? They "claim" they're the same cost as a conventional roof....which obviously doesn't include the power wall to store electricity. But if I were building a home from scratch and it would only bump my total price $10-20k, I think it would be crazy not to do it just for savings and protection from storms/loss of power.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://news.energysage.com/tesla-solar-panel-roof-the-next-solar-shingles/

Here's an article about them. My wife and I did look into those, or ones like them, and we spoke to our contractor about them. The reality is that the initial cost is still very high - much higher than a traditional roof for most people. I absolutely love the idea of solar or other renewable energy sources, for all reasons, and will keep up with it.

KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  14. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    We looked into all types of solar options. Too be honest, the price is just too expensive for the return or they look hideous. These Tesla tiles are nearly 3x more expensive than the tiles we ended up buying. I think we ended up paying around $18K for the roof tiles and these would have cost us nearly $60K. And you still need to buy things like their power wall and the maintenance and upkeep is expensive also. To top it off, these solar tiles cost nearly 2x as much as typical solar panels and yet only generate about 3/4 of the electricity.

In all reality the science still has a ways to go in order to make solar power affordable and efficient for homeowners.

We did, however, spend more on things that will make our house much more energy efficient. Top notch windows, extra insulation, energy star furnaces and AC's, etc. We are being told that the steps we've taken will lower our energy consumption by ~40% when compared to the same size house with more traditional heating/cooling, windows etc.

Also, the new house is built on 4 acres. So my wife and I have been doing our homework on gardens and green houses. We plan on growing enough veggies to support our family. We've also decided that we will compost. Also, we've chosen bushes and trees that don't need much water and the irrigation system is low volume and drip so we will use far less water. The city also encourages "rain gardens". These are basically areas with a slight depression that allows rain water to flow to and collect while being taken up by the soil and plants in order to avoid runoff. We will have a few of those. We also will have rain barrels that will help with irrigation, plant watering, etc.

15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Aah, okay, so the pricing was all a lie then by Tesla. I figured it almost had to be too good to be true....that's unfortunate. They do make super serious insulation these days though so that's great you went that route.

I'm on 5 acres that gradually slopes down to a pond in the back of the property...so it's perfect for a garden. Then I discovered how much work it actually is and never followed through, LOL. I keep saying I'll plant some fruit trees or something but it hasn't happened yet.

danmarino likes this.
  16. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Maybe the prices depend on where a person lives? Yeah, I'm sure the gardening is a lot easier when you just read about it rather than do it. But I'm hoping to get all the kids involved and make it fun. We will see how long it lasts! lol

KeyFin likes this.