1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup (Thursday)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finwin, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    darlington
    If philbin wont fire sherman, then philbin needs to go to. period.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well "go" would make it a pass actually....:shifty:

ASOT, NolesNPhinsFan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [​IMG]

bigbry and xphinfanx like this.
  4. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I mean it's clear that lines are drawn.

Philbin thinks the team isn't talented enough.
    Ireland thinks the team should have won with the talent supplied.

I think the team should've gone to the playoffs. The coaching was pathetic and was the reason why we didn't get there.
    We have some glaring holes that hindered our long-term playoff potential (not being a 1-and done team).

I think Ireland should be fired (not been to the playoffs or had more than 8 wins 5 straight years).
    I think Philbin should be fired (8-6 with two catastrophic losses at the end of the season).

For me, it's pretty darn simple.

Brasfin and ASOT like this.
  5. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I know Sherman is the easy scapegoat in this situation. The thing I wonder is how much of our offensive woes is a result of his coaching vs the gaping holes our GM left at OL and RB?

ASOT likes this.
  6. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    The right time was two years ago, and next year. If you're going to make a change to either the GM or the HC, you do it at the same time. You hire a GM, and let him hire a coach. You don't stick guys with guys they didn't pick. I don't want Ireland anywhere near the team. I've said so for a while now. I think he's going to pay too much money to the wrong people in free agency, and I don't think his draft is going to be worth a damn. Sucks to be the guy (or woman) following him up, but at least they'll get an honest shot at it.

ASOT likes this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    You shouldn't want to keep your offensive staff after scoring 19 PPG two years in a row while finishing both years without a winning record, and part of the reason for it being losses against teams who equally can't score (Jets, Bucs, Bills) yet managing to score even less points. The Dolphins offense has been in the company of the Browns, Jets, Texans, Jaguars and Raiders...

Of course, who knows if that's true, then I would go from "not minding" Philbin to wanting him gone ASAP. Let's just say I'd expect 2014 to turn into another 2011 or 2006 or 2004 type of season if he was coaching again with this same staff.

8. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

You hate fun, Stitches.

Dolphin Don, Alex13 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  9. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Which is what I`m hoping for this time. Time is already wasted .

10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The team wasn't talented enough to be a playoff team. I think that much should be clear. The fact that they had an opportunity to make the playoffs is a credit to the coaching staff, IMO. However, the fact that they couldn't rise up and beat two teams they were clearly superior to at the end of the season is an indictment of the coaching staff.

Saying the coaching of this team was pathetic is not an accurate statement. I challenge you to find a coaching staff that could have produced with what they were given from a talent standpoint, particularly on the OL. With that said, if you as the head coach are not willing to evaluate your staff and make the necessary changes, then it is time to move on.

If somehow this ends up with Teflon Jeff somehow slipping through again and keeping his job, then it won't matter who the coach is. Nothing will change. Jeff has proven in 6 years that he has no vision for how the team should be constructed, and that he is incapable of building a complete roster. He is also bad for the organization from a PR perspective. I don't see how Stephen Ross can start a venture with Matt Higgins called RSE Ventures that is designed to help improve the brand of sports teams while he keeps an incompetent boob as he head of personnel who does nothing but bring down the brand he is trying to build in Miami.

11. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    That's the root of the problem. The incompetent GM.

12. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I'm sure you guys have already seen this nonsense, but Armando put forth Mangini and Tannenbaum as possible replacements! Christ, with that duo I'd rather stay with what we have! Seriously, if they cant bring in better than that we really are doomed!

Ireland has to go, he's had long enough and the horrid nature of that offensive line he stuck us with is more than enough justification. Turner needs to go, regardless of talent - 58 sacks! Sherman needs to go cause it is his offense and if all of us watching on TV can call whether it is a Pass play or Run play with 90% accuracy and he doesn't fix it. Gotta GO!

Even at this point as much as I like Philbin I am not sure what it is he brings to the table. With the way this team in a critical last two game stretch came out unmotivated and unprepared I've gotta say he has to go as well.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm all for firing Ireland, but the thing that really concerns me is the absolute necessity to solve the OL problems in FA and the draft and how incompetent Ireland has been at managing that position. We can't afford any more John Jerrys, Tyson Clabos and Dallas Thomases, not this year. This year, we absolutely have to get it right, too much at stake. We need someone who can recognize the value of Evan Mathis and Donald Thomas type players, and someone who can sift through this OL draft class and come away with multiple quality players.

14. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Is anyone else deeply disturbed by some of these new rumors? I understand that Armando Salguero's primary leak within the building is Jeff Ireland, so I take his news with a tablespoon of salt, but this is pretty distressing to me as a Dolphins fan. The owner feels like he knows more about what needs to be done with the coaching staff than the head coach? And I actually agree with him? I'm not optimistic that a good result comes out of any of this.

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Ross' helicopter has just landed in Davie according to Adam Beasley.

16. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    As I've said in other threads, Philbin is a former OC and with OLine background. Why would we assume that he would do anything different from what Sherman has done? He is more than capable of coming to different conclusions if he truly thought Sherman was not doing his job. This is why I blamed Philbin equally for the crap offense and playcalling, yet most people just want Sherman fired.

17. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    [​IMG]

Just arived

18. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    So now darlington is going off with more "news" about nothing. Ross is in the building today.

19. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

Nappy Roots, SICK, gilv13 and 2 others like this.
  20. Samphin

Given who he surrounds himself with, I am surprised he didn't show up in a jet.

21. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    We had both of those guys (Mathis and Thomas) and didn't recognize the value.

22. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The Jet is at the airport.

23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Colorado Dolfan and BigDogsHunt like this.
  24. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Are we moments from diving into another crazy coaching/gm search !!!

Can't Wait !

25. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Something has to change. I've been trying to figure out this OT class- love Matthews, love Robinson, the rest have questions. I like Morgan Moses, but the guy who I saw recently who I would pull the trigger on at #19 if he's available is Cedric Ogbuehi.

Dallas Thomas- I still can;t figure this guy out. Decent size, pretty good feet, but something is lacking there. If he can't make it at LT I don't think that he makes it all all, just not dominant/aggressive enough.

26. Samphin

...in New York

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Air Force Dumb has landed... Rizzmiggizz @RizzWrites

28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Me on twitter all morning:

[​IMG]

29. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    We're not. The reason there's so much speculation and wharrgrarbling is because there's nothing to report. There's nothing to indicate anything is going to happen outside of some assistants probably getting the axe, and while Sherman had his moments he wasn't the primary culprit of the offense being asstastic either.

30. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I doubt he rode a helicopter from New York to Miami.

31. Samphin

...nevermind.

It was a joke about his Jets contacts.

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I doubt it.....

33. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Hey. I'm on my fourth cup of coffee this AM. I didn't pick up on the joke.

34. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Boo!!! Hiss!!!

35. Samphin

May want to switch to a dark roast. ;)

36. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Lol funny gif. Accurate

SICK likes this.
  37. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I think Sherman will step down. There will be no need for firing. I am not confident that Irish gets canned. I can only hope we get the best play-calling OC available.

38. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Agreed; my previous post does include its news about nothing. Just merely adding to the suspense and chaos of things, as I always do. I truely would prefer to start fresh though. If Ross & co. actually believe there are more favorable alternatives out there, and tannehill's in favor... go for that, as apposed to the continuity of this system.

39. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Hilarious, exactly what I've been doing at work with this forum, and the club forum all morning since twitter and stuff is blocked at work for us.

SICK likes this.
  40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Not at all. But we have another year of Ireland rant threads to look forward to.