1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Aprils Club Level 'Thread of the Month' Winner*

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by Vengeful Odin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Let me preface this by saying that I’ve long believed that having a strong Center is one of the keys to having a successful team. I also believe that we have found another in a great line of Centers with the recent drafting of Samson Satele last year. In this article, I will outline why the position is important, our history at the position, scout Samson Satele, and give my views on what the future holds for him at the Center position.

Part I: The Importance of Center

I believe that Center is the most important position on the football field. No other position is as demanding both physically and mentally, next to perhaps QB. This is due to the complexity of the position in three areas, pre-snap, snap, and post-snap.

• Pre-Snap: Next to the Quarterback, the Center is responsible for the majority of pre-snap reads. First and foremost, he is responsible for calling out blocking assignments on all plays for the rest of his offensive linemen. Also, while the QB is often looking at the secondary to determine what alignments they are in, the C is looking at the front seven, determining who may blitzing, who may be dropping into coverage, who may be stunting. Like the QB, the C needs to be cerebral. He needs to have a complete knowledge of the team’s blocking schemes, as well as a comprehensive understanding of defensive alignments.

• Snap: The Center is the only player on the foot ball field, offense or defense, who is guaranteed to touch the ball on every play. The QB-to-Center exchange is the most fundamental of football plays. It’s also the most important. If the exchange is fumbled, the results can be disastrous. Playoff games have been lost due to botched snaps.

• Post-Snap: As the center of the offensive line, the Center is the man responsible for blocking the defense at the point of attack. No other offensive lineman is asked to do as much as the C. On running plays, he will often be asked to take on a linebacker, or pull. He will also be asked to block mammoth nose tackles and quick defensive ends. On passing plays he is expected to pick up blitzers or chip on fast 4-3 DTs. In the process he is expected to create a pocket in which the QB can step up and make plays. Without a strong man at center, the defense can wreak havoc in the middle, causing problems for the offense all day long.

Part II: The History of Center for the Miami Dolphins

Center has always been a position of strength for the Miami Dolphins, particularly in the 1970s and 1980s. As laid out in Part I, I believe C to be an integral position, so it’s not too surprising to me that the team’s came during these same time periods. Let’s take a look at the history of this position in Miami:

• 1970s: When you think of the 70s Dolphins teams, there’s really only one name that comes to mind at Center. From 1970 – 1979 the Miami Dolphins turned to Jim Langer as their starting C. Langer was unique in that he was a converted college MLB. Perhaps no other center in the NFL was as consistent as Langer - for a 6 year tear he owned the All-Pro C position, from 1973 – 1978. Part of a dominating line, Langer was arguably the best of a triumvirate of linemen that also included Larry Little and Bob Kuechenberg. Langer was known as a fierce blocker and hard worker, paving the way for runners Kiick, Csonka, and Morris. Langer was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1987.

• 1980s: In 1980, Don Shula took Center Dwight Stephenson of Alabama in the second round of the NFL Draft. After waiting for his turn, Stephenson took over as a starter in 1982, and was an All-Pro by 1983. With Stephenson and company protecting him, QB Dan Marino was able to reach new heights, particularly during his record-shattering 1984 season. In fact, with Stephenson manning the position, the Dolphins gave up the least sacks in the NFL for 6 straight years – this despite Marino’s concrete-footed reputation. Also, like Langer from the 70s before him, Stephenson was an All-Pro for consecutive multiple years, from 1983 to 1987. Stephenson’s career was cut short due to injury, but he was recognized by the Hall of Fame in 1998.

• 1990s: The 1990s saw Miami attempt to replace Stephenson with two players, Jeff Uhlenhake early in the decade and Tim Ruddy later in the decade. Neither player had the same type of success as Langer or Stephenson before them. Not surprisingly, the franchise itself failed to reach the same heights as were seen the 70s and 80s. Uhlenhake can be best summed up as a journeyman, as he started for several years, from 1989 – 1993, but his tenure was unremarkable. Ruddy experienced more success than Uhlenhake, but his moderate play was average at best. Never an All-Pro, Ruddy was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2000 as an alternate, which is a nice way of saying he was second place in a biased beauty contest. Like Langer and Stephenson, Ruddy was plagued with knee problems and eventually forced to retire.

• 2000s: Ruddy’s reign of mediocrity would come to an end in 2004 with the promotion of Seth McKinney to starter. McKinney would start from 2004 to 2005 for Miami, but like the others before him, was unremarkable. McKinney would leave the team in 2006, placing the starting duties on Rex Hadnot. Hadnot struggled moving to the Center position, and at the end of 2006 the team decided to draft Samson Satele to man the position.

Part III: Samson Satele Scouting Report

Based on the games I watched last year, it became clear to me that Satele was one our best draft choice. What set him apart from others in the rookie class is that he was ready to go on Day 1. The other first-day picks all needed time to develop (or, in John Beck’s case, are still developing). Not Satele, who became only the fourth Dolpins rookie offensive lineman to start all 16 games of the season. Watching Satele, he was consistent throughout the year, something that I don’t remember seeing at Center in a long, long time. Here’s my thoughts on his performance, at year-end:

• Strengths: Arguably Satele’s greatest asset is his fundamentals, which are superior. He has great technique, particularly in the passing game (not surprising based on his experience at Hawaii). He is also an intelligent player, which is key to pre-snap reads and offensive line adjustments. Satele isn’t fast insomuch that he is quick. This allows him to hit blocks on LBs in the running game. In fact, Satele surprised with this last year - prior to the injury, Ronnie Brown was on his way to an All-Pro year, averaging 5.1 yards per carry, which was nearly a full yard improvement from the previous year. He has also benifited from experience, starting for 4 years in college and now 1 year in the NFL. While not a requisite for the position, I believe that Satele possesses a mean streak that fits his personality and style well. Another way to phrase this would be “high motor.” This helps him overcome his lack of size against larger DTs and DEs.
    • Weaknesses: As I see it, Satele possesses few real weaknesses. Coming out of college, there were concerns regarding his run blocking, but I feel he more than answered those during the course of the season. He could stand to add size, as I am somewhat concerned about the potential for injury, but Miami has had tremendous success with undersized Centers in the past. His aggressiveness does sometimes lead to mistakes, such as overpursuing his blocks.

• Evaluation: Overall, Satele was our most consistent player during last year’s impossibly tough 1-15 season. Despite being asked to snap to multiple QBs, despite offensive line shuffling, and despite loss after loss, Satele still came through with good performances. He was tremendous in the passing game, solid in the run game, and enjoyable to watch, all the way around. While it appeared that other folks were giving up, Satele never gave me that impression, playing hard despite what the scoreboard said. Alos, I really liked the fact that for such a cerebral player Satele is, above all, physical, which is perfect for an offensive lineman. Based on his current skills and development, I believe that he will continue to improve over the next 3 to 4 years, and may eventually develop into our first All-Pro since Stephenson.

Part IV: The Future of Samson Satele

Some, like Dr. Z, have suggested Satele might be a better fit as a Guard. I’m not one of those people, because I believe Center is just too important. In a perfect world, I would like to see Samson man the C position for the next 5-6 years, or longer. Injuries, as I see it, are the only thing that could possibly slow him down and prompt a move to Guard. Not surprisingly, injuries are also responsible for ending the careers of Langer, Stephenson, and even Ruddy. If there is any concern over injury, I would be open to moving him to Guard – providing that we can find someone of his caliber or greater to replace him at Center. This would help to prolong his career and stabilize the G position.

With the hiring of Tony Sparano and Mike Maser, it’s clear to me that Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells are clearly focusing on making the offensive line one of the team’s greatest strengths. As the anchor of the existing line, which is admittedly in flux, working with these two coaches can only help to improve Satele’s play. , as both Sparano and Maser have done well with other units on other teams. I believe that Satele’s attitude will be a good fit for Maser’s vocal coaching style, which should produce tangible results.

Based on all of this evidence, it’s clear to me that Samson Satele’s future is at Center for the Miami Dolphins. He possesses the intangibles required for such a complex and important position, from both a physical and mental standpoint. He’s the heir apparent in a line of strong centers. He’s got great fundamentals and a terrific motor. If there are not injury concerns, my preference would be to leave him at C. Working with Sparano and Maser will only serve to improve his already stellar play. I believe he will be a solid player for years to come, perhaps even an All-Pro before all is said and done. All told, the future looks bright at Center for the Miami Dolphins.

Celtkin, gafinfan, Kanye West and 6 others like this.
  2. Yetanotherfan

Yetanotherfan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Nice little write up E.

3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Excellent write up, very much enjoyed reading it. I would like to see Satele moved to guard only if Maser and Sparano decide Mormino is better suited (as he's certainly more experienced in his college days) to play the Center position. The main thing that concerns me is Hadnot made all the calls last year, is Satele ready to make those calls? We need those calls made by the Center IMO.

I don't see the concern about injuries based on Satele's career so far, so feel we should believe he'll play injury free. Especially in his favor is the increased emphasis on conditioning by Parcells & Sparano, which should help reduce injuries all over the team. That same program should help Satele deal with the bigger Dl he plays against, he has the right attitude and nastiness, just needs the strength. And strength is not limited by size IMHO.

Very nice write up and thread, I'm giving it 5 stars. Hope you don't mind.

4. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi

Very nice write-up. Worthy of any Jedi, I mean VIP section.

Lee2000

5. infiltrateib

infiltrateib Oh Hi Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I think Satele's weakness is that he gets a little haywire on the second level. He reminds me a little of that one crazy fullback we used to have (not the Juggernaut) who would just explode into the second level and hit anything that moved, friend or foe.

But I also think he's far more valuable to this team than Wes Welker, and so I think we benefited from that transaction.

6. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Very good write up Eclay!

I've been surprised over the years on these very boards to hear many a poster downplay the importance of a good Center.

IMO, a good Center rivals the imoportance of a good LT.
    I think both spots are critical and that's where you want to have your 2 best lineman in a best case scenario.

Especially in today's NFL with the increasing complexities of NFL Blitzes and the increasing size of NT's Centers have to be intelligent and physical players.

We kept a physically mediocre Center here for years based on his ability to dissect what a defense was bringing and assign the correct blocking assignments presnap in Ruddy just to show you how important the mental side is.

I think it's pretty clear Satele has the physical tools.
    I don't know enough about his mental side of the game yet to know whether he'll be a great Center or not.

7. Xiidaen

Xiidaen Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 3, 2007
    Here's an article from the June 2007 issue of Slate that supports Coral Reefer's point -- calling the Center the second most important position on the team.

http://www.slate.com/id/2156923/

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is not very common for teams to have pulling centers. Having a strong center really isn't that important to a good team. Having a good center is, however having a good anything is important. Left guard and right guard are more important positions on the whole.

9. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Solid Post. Let's thank Randy Muellar b/c we did have a good draft last year.

10. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Nice find man, really enjoyed reading that.
    Thanks.

11. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Respectfully I just don't agree with that.
    LT and Center spots take the most skill sets to fill and if those spots are filled adequately require special players.

You can find players to fill Guard spots at least to a serviceable level much easier.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Centers are generally the least paid player one the line. It is generally LT, RT, LG, RG, Center.

Teams generally cannot have two really good guards due to the salary cap. When they do and have good tackles and have a decent center they have an amazing line that is one of the best in the league.

13. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    The most important aspect of a center is that he fart infrequently in ace formations, along with I-form.

Seriously speaking, I'd take a great C over great G.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would take a great G over a C especially if there is a good tackle.

The Seahawks had an amazing line when they went to the superbowl and they had at best a servicable center. What they did have was a great G and great T.

15. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Well written, this is what we should expect here in the "club level" (I'm doing that to remind myself of the new name). I wonder if we would have considered Uhlenlake and Ruddy so pedestrian if we had not seen Langer and Stephenson before them? Following two HOF'ers, can make a good player look like a stiff.

I am one of the ones who wants to see Satele settle in and stay at C for 5-10 years. I think a LG is coming in the draft, probably late on the first day or with the first pick of round 4.

Celtkin likes this.
  16. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    Excellent write-up. Matches my thoughts and understanding of OL play perfectly. Well thought out and executed post, thanks!

17. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    Only thing I'd like to see Satele do is add about ten pounds of muscle, other than that I love his play and want him to stay at C for a good long while. Great Thread.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Also blaming the not returning to dominance on the lack of dominate center is really putting way too much importance on the Center positions.

Teams generally move a good center to guard because that position is generally more important to an offense.

19. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    One thing I am concerned about, and this may be the reason that they're looking to move him to guard, is that Satele didn't actually make the calls last year. Apparently Hadnot was the one making the calls; maybe Satele won't be very good at that...

20. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I would expect that it would be Mormino or whomever is playing Center that makes the OL calls. We will have a new system there with Masser so everyone is starting fresh.

21. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I dont study numbers or players like many do as I do not have the time. But I can say that anyone shortchanging the importance of center position isnt looking hard enough. The center is teh anchor, the stabilizer, the emotional leader, it all starts with teh center.

I think Satele will be very solid to great. He looked very good til the end of teh year and am sure it was teh proverbial rookie wall. I think he shows good quickness of teh ball, has power tho isnt the grater that some are, he can hold his own well and is superb in pass pro.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It all starts with the best lineman on the team. Centers are not achors or stabilizors or emotional leaders. In fact they the last lineman who actually blocks. It takes time to move snap the ball so the guards generally have to cover the center some.

Having a bad center isn't good, however if you have a bad guard then you are going to have a horrible looking center.

If what people are saying was true half of the guards in this league would be centers.

23. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry but I disagree, center may be last to bblock but their assignments generally start before the ball is snapped, so IMO that is why they anchor the line. The best anyway. Guards can make teh calls and some qbs but when that occurs you see teams looking for a center. You have yours I have mine. I think the anchor is teh one that sets the line calls calls the blitz pickups etc. more than bruisng ability.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Well of course their assignments start before the ball is snapped. Generally they are given the smallest assignments.

The best linemen are the tackles, followed by at least one of the guards and then the center. That is if you want a good line.

25. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I feel like Center is the most important behind LT, but for different reasons.

A player with an elite grasp of the mental aspect is the important part. The physical part, I think is secondary, and evidenced by the type of players to inhabit the position around the league. Centers nowadays are usually just technicians or not particularly talented guys.

Deion Dyer?

26. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's exactly who came to my mind.

27. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I think he's talking about Darien Barnes.

28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Great job. :up:

I also suspect that at a very subconscious level there's a very strong emotional impact provided by having a great center. The center "leads the charge" from the huddle of the largest unit on the field (the OL) numerous times per game, he has his hands on the ball before every snap, and like you said he is vocal with the other linemen in making line calls before every snap.

If the center is a great player and has some leadership ability, then at a very deep but palpable level he helps create the feel of a strong team that has a sense of dominance about itself and expects to go out and control the opposition.

I think all that can be built in large part by having a stud like Satele at an especially important position -- center -- and I think that's why he should stay there.

29. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Since Uhlenhake has been mentioned, check out what was said about him his Rookie year:

"Jeff Uhlenhake, a rookie from Ohio State, took over at Center last season and and played as if he plans to say for a decade or so, . He had some of his most impressive moments late in the year as he gained experience. Already a proficient pass blocker,, Uhlenhake is a fine athlete who moves well laterally, is always in balance and adjusts fairly well to counter moves. As a run blocker he needs to add strength as he has the requisite size (6-3 290) but he needs to add additional muscle. "

Point being, I love Satele as much as the next FinFan, he does have to play games in 08 as well too though. Things can change very quickly in the NFL, three years later, he was inline to be replaced by....Jeff Dellenbach if he didn't come back from ACL surgery in time.

Just to offer some perspective on all of this.

(BTW, the 1993 edition of Heinrich has Favre as a sleeper, cool stuff indeed)

30. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio

Athletically you are correct. But your centers better be tough and smart if you want to call them great.

Tackles are the best lineman talent and athletic wise, but a very smart center can ,make a talented line a cohesive unit that plays well.

31. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    This is why I like you, you can decidely say in 1 post what I tried in 3 posts to say.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    A very smart guard can do the same thing. Guards are generally really smart in comparison to other football players. The same with centers.

If Miami can find a smart guy who is good technically and have him play center and move Satele to LG they would be much better team then if they had the other way around, a smart LG who is good technically and Satele at center.

33. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    Very good write up with valuable information. I for one agree with you that we should keep Satele at the Center position. He has created a nice niche there and will probably continue to develop given a couple more years.

34. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    nice addition Trav

35. infiltrateib

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Then again, if your biggest complaint about your center is his instincts on the second level, you're doing pretty well. Kinda like critiquing your DT for not stripping the ball on a sack.

36. infiltrateib

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Also, fascinating point about the Pro Bowl Center:Record correlation. I know the same is certainly not true of, say, WRs and RBs.

Though it could be an o-lineman correlation in general? Not for LTs as much, but it could be that good teams get the spotlight?

37. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I really think that's due to the emotional impact I described above. If you have great players in positions that "lead the charge" of other players, you're going to have a significant feel of dominance about yourself that fuels the identity and expectations of your team and the way you play.

For me the center position supports that idea better than any other position. IMO there isn't any other position whose emotional impact is as important while having relatively little importance in terms of physical play.

In other words, the guy leads the charge and gets his emotional importance from that role, but he doesn't have much importance physically IMO, relatively speaking of course.

38. infiltrateib

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd also consider that Saturday and Hartings are really pulling up the average. It's a small sample size. I'd be very intrigued to see if it spans longer than careers (i.e., from 1990-Present). That would be more convincing.

39. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    True never said that it couldnt but focus on teh smart. Centers responsisbility is big, they may not all be as athletic as tackles but the great centers are smart. Also note that many centers are athletically good enought to play guard and vice versa.

40. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Great Job Brother!:hi5:

Vengeful Odin likes this.