1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are the jets better than us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dullfandan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How do the Steelers look this year w/o James Harrison, without a Casey Hampton controlling the middle, with Larry Foote hindered by age, and without a starting corner? They look terrible and are 23rd in scoring D. How is that any different than Miami being w/o Wake, w/o Soliai's healthy presence in the middle, with linebackers hindered by injury, and without a starting corner?

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Because Wake has played 2 of 5 games, Soliai has played 4 of 5 games, and Ellerbe has only missed about half of one game.

It's not equivalent.

BicketyBam likes this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Are you sure Ellerbe has only missed half of one game? I thought he has missed more.

4. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's quite an ignorant strawman post considering Duane Brown was once an "underperforming tackle" who Houston fans wanted replaced, and considering no one directly compared Jon Martin's play to Duane Brown's. All that was compared was their similar, early career situations, how it took Brown a few years to become the player he is today, and that if irrational Houston fans had their way he would've hastily been replaced before he could develop into an All Pro. That's the same type of knee-jerk reaction that was thrown around here when fans prematurely called Reshad Jones a bust.... prematurely called Soliai a bust.... and prematurely called Odrick a bust.... and that's what posters were arguing against- that you don't draft a player highly and then not allow him sufficient time to develop [provided it's not an obvious mistake like Pat White].

cuchulainn likes this.
  5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He missed time against Atlanta.... and then missed a little more than a half against Baltimore, and in between it played through the injury that sidelined him against Atlanta.

6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So those 3 games without Wake don't matter?.... and are you suggesting our performance at defensive tackle is the same regardless of Soliai's presence or health?..... ditto for Ellerbe & Misi at linebacker? ditto for Patterson & Carroll at corner? Sorry but I don't buy it. You won't convince me that having Wake, Ellerbe, Patterson, and Carroll out and Misi & Soliai playing through injury against Baltimore has less of an impact on defensive performance than Pittsburgh being without the aged James Harrison & Casey Hampton, without Keenan Lewis, and with a starting ILB slowed by age.

7. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Remember guys. The Jets lost their starting QB in the preseason and have had to go with a rookie backup QB! QB is by far the most important position on offense. They are ranked 14th in yards per game (22nd in ppg). They played their last game without their #1 receiver and a partially concussed #2 receiver. In fact, their #1 (Holmes) is still recovering from a devastating injury and hasn't been close to 100% all year. You also can't discount the fact that one of their feature backs has been dinged up all year (Ivory) and their 3rd down back was suspended for 4 games. This has to count for something! Yet this pieced together MASH unit has managed to score 98 points (no defensive points). Just think what they can do when they get healthy! :lol: Look out Denver!!!!

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Glad Dusty got the ax. He's just good to get you close, but I don't think he always makes best use of the talent on hand.
    Any opinions on the next manager?

9. MrClean

Due to the different schemes it maybe better to compare front 7s. If we are more talented on D as you attest, then Rex Ryan is an infinitely better defensive coach than Coyle.

BicketyBam likes this.
  10. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    As good as Rex is, he couldn't get Vernon Gholston a sack.

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have no one specifically in mind. The ones that have been bandied about the most are:

Tony LaRussa - due to his familiarity with Reds GM Walt Jocketty from their time in St. Louis. I think LaRussa said he won't manage again, so I'll chalk this as highly unlikely.

Joe Morgan - was a special assistant to Jocketty last year. He's involved in car dealerships and other business ventures in Cincinnati now. I don't think he'll do it.

Joe Torre - was either born or lived in Cincinnati during his childhood. Doubtful IMO.

Chris Speier - bench coach from Dusty's tenure. He managed for a brief time when Dusty was hospitalized. I like him, but who knows if they'll promote from within.

Bryan Price - pitching coach from Dusty's tenure. I think he was in the running for the Marlins job when they hired Ozzie Guillen.

To be honest, I've not really kept up with the Reds since the NFL regular season started. I saw the writing on the wall and figured they had no shot of winning that wild-card game in Pittsburgh after losing 5 straight. Joe Girardi's name was tossed around a bit, but he just re-upped with the Yankees. Dale Sveum, recently fired by the Cubs could be an interesting choice. But, a fired Cubs manager won't be a good PR move with Cincinnati fans.

*Edit* Apparently Paul O'Neill is throwing his hat in the ring now as well. I do know that he's called Cincinnati home, even during the offseason when he was with the Yankees. I think it makes sense if the front office doesn't mind going with someone they're not familiar with...aside from Joe Morgan's being familiar with O'Neill I suppose.

MrClean likes this.
  12. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    well...no ****. Of course he is.

The Talent disparity could not be more clear. Fins have more of it. Although...like was said earlier....wait till they (The Jets) play the Saints, then compare the numbers.

13. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You guys shouldn't be quitters. Gholston is a free agent. *hint* *hint* :shifty:

14. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm pretty sure MrClean directed that post at me based on our discussion in another thread.

15. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    They've both played Atlanta. Why wouldn't you compare the stats from those 2 games?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He quoted my post.

:confused2:

17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think it's why he highlighted "Rex". We had a conversation about Rob Ryan v. Kevin Coyle.

MrClean likes this.
  18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    well..sure...if you want.

We allowed 2 TD's to the Falcon Offense and 231 yards to Matt Ryan (377 Total Yards)

Your Team allowed 4 TD's and 319 yards to Matt Ryan. (363 Total Yards)

We also allowed that with Wake missing every play past the opening drive,and Solai out. At one point we were missing 6 starters on defense.

Still want to compare those games..or you want to wait for the Saints game?

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I hope you aren't a big fan of ROB Ryan.

Rex is a GREAT DC.

20. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Why did you leave out the 146 rushing yards at 4.9 yards per carry? Or the 37 min top? Or the fact that you were home? :-)

Points and yards were very similar, but it you say Miami played a better defensive game, then so be it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Are you serious?

You gave up 4 TD's.

We gave up 2.

We were missing two starters on the D-Line, and at one point 6 overall. The final count of plays and yards were like this:

Jets gave up 70 plays, 363 Yards for a 5.2 per play average. Forced 1 Turnover.

Dolphins gave up 68 plays, 377 Yards for a 5.5 per play average. Forced 2 Turnovers.

and the simple fact that you gave up almost 100 yards more passing to their best player than we did, matters.

Yeah..the Fins played the Falcons better. Especially considering they played them short handed.

So let me ask again..want to wait for the Saints game?

22. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Just curious...what do you think the Jets and Fins final records will be Bickety?

23. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not a big fan by any means. Just think he's doing a better job this year than Kevin Coyle is.

24. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What? I disagree. And the Jets played better offensively. With a QB playing his 5th game and their number 1 wide receiver out.

25. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Jets 7-9
    Dolphins 9-7

26. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    [​IMG]
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Boik14 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You disagree with cold hard numbers?

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    We are not too far off from each other.

29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We're a year ahead in the process. They're like we were last year. Their defense will keep them in games and if they protect the football they can win.

With all that said, **** the Jets.

30. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Yes :)

31. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Racist

32. MrClean

Hehehe, I was replying to 126, but just bolded Rex, in case you were happening by. :)

RoninFin4 likes this.
  33. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You got me.

34. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Not even if they win a Super Bowl will the JEST be better than we. It's the natural order of the universe. J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!

35. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Jets are doing a pretty decent job of playing tough d and leaning on that to win games. Dare I say that if Rex gets the boot at years end Id be downright excited to see what he could do with our D because frankly Kevin Coyle reminds me a lot of Mike Nolan (i.e. very predictable) and thats not a good thing. The Jets have a strong front 7 (Richardson, Coples, Wilkerson, Demarrio Davis were all high picks) to go with David Harris. They lack a pass rusher or 2 but thats going to be a tough unit for a few years.

That said, its not the Jets fault that the teams they have beaten have a 3-11 record but when the schedule gets harder I think they will struggle a bit where as we have played a harder schedule so far. When they start playing the Saints and Ravens and Colts etc then we will have a real conversation.

FYI, you guys left out that Julio Jones was healthy vs Miami. He left the Falcons/Jets game mid way thru the first half. Thats a big difference. Jones was missing in action during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and had like 5 grabs in the 4th with the falcons down big. He tried to play through the injury but the Jones we saw in Miami wasnt the same Jones that dropped the 38 yard TD pass and got called for a very questionable PI.

Section126 and BicketyBam like this.
  36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    not really. You see a brown and black star. I just see two overrated stars.

37. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    You missed the joke :) It goes back a few years. No worries.

38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    pretty sure I didn't.

39. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I think what Miami fans are missing is the irony that this thread even exists. What did you guys have the Jets doing this year? To a man, I'd say 99% of the members had them as a 3-13, dead last in the AFC East team. Now 5 weeks into the season there is an 8+ page thread asking the question as whether the Jets are better than the Dolphins. It's not "Are the Jets better than what we expected?" It's "Are the Jets better than us?" That's nuts!

I've already stated that I believe Miami is better, largely because of the QB position. Geno Smith is not being handled the same way Sanchez was in his rookie year, even though Sanchez was considered a better player coming out of college. The coaching staff has decided to live and die with Smith, for better or for worse. He's played some pretty terrible games and you can directly pin the NE loss right on his shoulders. He's second in the league in interceptions. He's a huge work in process and he will cost them their fare share of games.

My high expectation mark for NY is 7-9. I wouldn't be surprised with 6-10. If Miami can't end the season with a better record than that, you have some serious issues. But I don't think that will be a problem. You guys overreact on the grandest of scales :D You have a good team. A winning team. And you are certainly better than the Jets.

P.S. We do not play the Colt. The best offense the Jets will see the rest of the year is NO, followed by Miami. I do not think Baltimore had a good offense at all and if the Jets take Rice out of the game, they should be able to limit Flacco. Think about what Buffalo did to them.

Boik14 likes this.
  40. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He had only missed 1 snap prior to the Baltimore game.