1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the Pats "Tanking for Trevor"?

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by KeyFin, Jul 29, 2020.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I saw yesterday that they had five starters opt out of the season within minutes of being allowed to...and the rumors have already started flying that Belichek somehow has a hand in this. So what do you folks think? Are they tanking for Trevor Lawrence...or do they actually plan on competing with Cam Newton?

I know this probably belongs in a different forum but under the circumstances, it seemed more Dolphins related than morphed QB photos and potential alternate jerseys.

resnor likes this.
  2. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I think that there is no chance that they are tanking.

I think the closest thing that we have seen to tanking was our team last year. I think this board argued on the semantics of what was happening, but I think we all could agree that we got rid of bad contracts, and were not in the business of signing big name free agents. Our roster turnover even week to week was unlike anything that I have ever seen. We had players that I did not even see as NFL caliber starting for us. Even after all of that, did we get the first pick? No. The second? Nope. There were 5 teams literally trying to win that did worse than us.

I do not think that the Pats' roster is anywhere close to what our roster was. They have a ton of RBs that are solid. Their offense is dink, dunk, slant, dink, dunk slant. I literally think that if you are trying to lose, you don't bring in Cam Newton either. I think baking that cake begins with naming Stidham the starter for the years super early and just having Hoyer as a backup. I actually do think that the Pats will still be competitive this year. James White will still be able to catch and run Julian Edelman will still run good slants. Their defense will be respectable. Cam brings an element of upside to the equation as well. I couldn't fathom this being the worst team in football.

What about a trade? With compensatory picks, they should have a pretty solid haul of draft picks. But I think Trevor Lawrence is probably the best prospect since Andrew Luck. I really think with the exception of about 5 teams, you take him no matter what. If you have a good, young QB, take Trevor. I think passing up on Lawrence could go down as one of the worst things in the history of a franchise. I would say the odds of the Pats getting Lawrence is highly, highly unlikely.

KeyFin likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't trust Darth Hoodie whatsoever. I fully believe that if he has a way to cheat or to bend the rules to his advantage, that he's going to take advantage of it, and that he always has a plan ten steps ahead to make sure that he comes out on top.

That being said, I don't think that these players opting out is part of some scheme to earn the number one pick next April. They are smart players, who have money in the bank and rings on their fingers, who probably, smartly and wisely, realize that playing this season is just a risk that they don't need to take.