1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we a better defense with Crowder?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NyPhinfan, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    I am not a big Crowder fan but with Dansby next to him and not having to be the MAN in the middle...are we a better with him or without him? Its nice for a change to have options. Do we take our time with him getting back in the lineup or if he is healthy..throw him in there?

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    yes

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    No.....The guy is a big liability.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    No, not in my eyes.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Most likely.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Depends on whether you get Channing on a day where he feels like tackling and covering.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You've seen him play in this defense? :confused:

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes. Channing was our best ILB in '08 and '09. He played better in limited action this preseason than Dobbins did. He's also more suited for that plugger role (i.e. 2 downs, limited coverage responsibilities, more blitzing) and I think playing next to Dansby will help him a lot. I'd like to see him brought back slowly, but I think he'll help the team if healthy. Carpenter can continue to fill his current role in nickel and dime situations and Dobbins can spell Crowder if need be while focusing on special teams.

I don't see how it doesn't make the defense better getting him back. IMO too many people are way too caught up in the fact that he doesn't have many career sacks or INTs. He won't be asked to make those types of plays in our defense (that's Dansby's role) and he can concentrate on plugging the run and going downhill when called upon. One thing is for certain, Tim Dobbins is certainly not the player many people on this board have made him out to be.

9. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I think we can be honestly.

10. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    Thats to me is the most important point...how does he play in this defense and is he healthy?

11. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Well, if we have learned anything this year, if he does not produce, he won't sniff the field. Might get cut. So he either play, or hit the highway.

gafinfan likes this.
  12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Here's one thing about Crowder, like him or not, the defense has historically played better with him than without (exception: maybe this year). There is no question Crowder knows the mental part of the game. Yes, he was somewhat of a liability in prior defenses because he was asked to cover TEs and sometimes gets caught flat-footed in open space.

With that, I do think the Dolphins will overall be a better team with him. At least he will know his assignment, and should flourish, considering he has a more athletic and faster Dansby on the other side. Crowder is a pretty strong dude, so he might be used in more of a gap assignment role where he can hold the fort for someone else to clean up behind him (like Bell, etc.). I do not think he will be used much in blitzing because, IMO, he is just not good at it at all. That is not one of his strengths.

I think he is better used playing between the tackles, but if the guys up front push a run outside, I think Crowder is probably better at pursuing than a Dobbins or Carpenter. He is a better player than those two, and I noticed Dobbins had a few mistakes last game I do not think Crowder would make.

So, yes, I do think Crowder will be better for the defense. I just hope Nolan does not ask him to cover a TE.....

Phins28 and NyPhinfan like this.
  13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Agreed, I'm also not a big fan of Crowder's, however, he seems to play better when he's not 'the man' in the middle. Well, that is the case now, Dansby is 'the man', so in theory, he should play better than he did last season. We can only hope...If you look at the big picture, you have to think that Crowder is better than Dobbins or Carpenter...Carpenter should be in there a lot in pass coverage situations...but we'll see...

gafinfan and NyPhinfan like this.
  14. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He must have crashed into your car or you have a personal problem with him, because there is zero evidence to back up your claim.

15. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    yes, the last 2 years that can be said ... but you do have to consider the folks we are comparing him against in that defense .... terrible, terrible, terrible ....

IF he can make it better -- it would only be marginally .... as this defense tackles folks behind the line of scrimage and can blitz and reach the QB -- not 2 of Crowder's strong points ...........

I am not saying Dobbins or Carpenter are better ... just don't think Crowder makes the defense any better than what it is now with what he brings to the table.

16. nerfball

nerfball New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    solid against the run, so-so in coverage, but he doesn't have to do that job now with dansby around. as long as he's 100% and not limited in any way, he's a slight upgrade over carpenter, moses and dobbins.

17. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I have seen him miss and over run two many plays in his career. I was shocked we resigned him.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Crowder will be awesome in this defense, just hope he's healthy enough to play Sunday nite
    lot of these posts remind me of the old Jason Allen garbage that spewed all over the forum

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    And did you think we'd even have a passable secondary with Jason Allen seeing significant time on the boundary?

20. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I really did not start the thread to pile up on Crowder..was just curious how everyone thought if he would fit better in this defense with this personel

21. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I will not say that Crowder will be great on Sunday. I will say that he will be great, as a secondary LB to Dansby within a few weeks.

Sparano loves this guy, running sideline to sideline, and has said he is all you can ask for in an ILB.

Last year, he sucked. Before then, he played well. Watch the difference he makes. He also brings EMOTION, and some more leadership, to our young guys.

I don't know that Wake can deal with any more emotion but, it will be fun to see. The other guys can.

Anyone, who played any sport, at any level, understand what Crowder will bring to this team.

Based on his love of the Jets, and a Prime Time come back, it may be SPECIAL.

22. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I'll keep an open mind, but if he plays "great", it will be the first time.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  23. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I would say so, he always played better it seemed when Zach was around, so with Dansby out there, and this new system of ours on D, I'd say the odds are more likely that we will be better, yes. Of course, it remains to be seen.

24. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I bet we all like Crowder a lot more after this season.....unless he gets hurt for the year again. You've all seen Dobbins role, I honestly think he could do a very good job in that role. In all honestly Dansby in this part of his career covers more ground than Zach did when Crowder was here.

25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm in the camp that says Crowder will be much better playing next to Dansby. Add that to a new defense and a defensive coordinator who knows his stuff and I say CC will have a pretty good year.

26. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, let's go all the way back in "ancient history."

The season before last, Crowder had 113 tackles, 92 solo, and 6 for loss.

I have to believe his new coach, and surrounding talent, will make him better. However, I can deal with what he did the year before last.

27. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

I can't stand Crowder much either, but unless Dobbins plays better then he did in Minny I'll give Crowder at least 1 game to show me what he's got in Nolan's D.