1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we going to lose draft picks?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins_Fan_87, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    If the dolphins are guilty of several things like ordering incognito to toughen up martin. And were complicit in some events, how harsh a penalty will we get?

2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I hope it's a second rounder. Then it won't really matter.

3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Little by little, I think the NFLPA (and whomever else is investigating) will show that this situation is much ado about nothing. While it certainly seems that Incognito crossed some lines, Eric Davis and Shawn Merriman made good points on this morning's show of NFL AM (which also featured surprisingly even-keeled coverage by Omar Kelly).

Obviously something was amiss, whether from leaders or the actual players involved, but Merriman points out that these things should have essentially stayed in-house and handled in-house (which typically do). Philbin, as Kelly pointed out, was criticized by players and others in his inaugural season for tearing apart this "leadership council". In year two, THE PLAYERS chose those in this council. Incognito being one of those chosen. Incognito certainly garners this respect from his peers, regardless of the staff's possible apprehensions.

Both Davis and Merriman noted that a coach bringing a veteran player to the side to get a younger player playing a similar position mentally ready for football is nothing out of the ordinary. Davis notes that toughening up younger players involves, sometimes, the vet pushing the buttons of the younger player. This sometimes involves pushing players to that veritable ledge, only to be brought back by that vet to show how tough a game football can be (as a teaching tool). When a player is tired and pissed with the game on the line, as a vet, you want to know that your young player will overcome the circumstance and stay true to football technique and principles. I think Incognito did not quite have a grasp on how far he could push Martin, and this lack of understanding, regardless of how often these things happen in NFL environs, almost entirely falls on Incognito. These principles of 'toughening up' younger guys is not dissimilar to those I witnessed while I was in the military. You need mentally tough individuals to stay true to the training and priciples of the organization when the sh*t hits the fan.

While Incognito seemed to push too far, I would like to know more from Martin's side of the story. Omar Kelly pointed out that it is not as if Martin was overly intimidated by anyone noting one of this year's first TC brawls was between Martin and Starks, who is a beast in his own right. Maybe a little more communication from Martin to Incognito was needed, and maybe this did happen? Maybe Incognito chose to ignore Martin's request to stop his antics?

The NFL will certainly have its hands all over this, and probably mandate some sort of sensitivity training in the future regarding similar matters.

I still do not think anything should, or will, happen to the organization regarding draft picks, etc. I also do not think the coaching or FO staff should be touched until the end of the season. Unquestionable support from the big man through these types of situations can play a big role in the direction this team takes. Reasonable infighting is to be expected when many bright and powerful individuals work under the same roof.

Let's see how this team, from top to bottom, handles this throughout the season. It will speak volumes on what type of individuals run this organization, and hopefully instill some of that lost pride I once had being a young Dolphins fan watching Marino master game-winning fourth quarter drives.

I certainly hope this all blows away and everyone involved learns from this, hugs it up, and gets this team ready for a shot at the playoffs.

DPlus47 likes this.