1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armando - Chad Henne still a loooong way to go

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AdamC13, Aug 30, 2011.

1. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You can be both hyper-critical and on target. At this point, let's just wait and watch a few regular season games. Nothing will be elarned from Thursday.

the 23rd and Anonymous like this.
  3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Well if we cant see it with our own eyes, then who the heck is seeing it? You, Mr Armando? :lol:

MrClean, MarinePhinFan, SICK and 2 others like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    More like incompetent, he circled Bess, well someone did the work for Manda, what he fails to realize is the safety to the left of Bess is coming down hill, that is the type of pass that goes for a pick 6.

But surely Mando knew that...

Xeticus, DOLPHAN1, arsenal and 2 others like this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    well then maybe you should go back and study him, view the tape, capture what happens in a millisecond, and slow it down to understand it. :wink2:

What a windbag, this guy.

6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The great QB's make that throw. You throw it low to Bess' knees, or low to the left, etc where only Bess can get it. And was he wrong on Hartline?

Stringer Bell likes this.
  7. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    They better fix the OL, keep in mind every time the ball is snapped one guy is going to touch it for sure, that is Henne so the potential for error is significantly higher therefore room to criticize.
    Watch Brady against the Lions not only did he play badly he looked scared.
    Armando is a dick.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Not quite, if you look at the photo there is a DL in the passing lane with his hands up. The only throw that can be made would be a lob and as Padre said you make that throw and its coming back the other way.

[​IMG]

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That would be the throw to try, "but" here is where Manda's analysis falls down, without the series of pictures he has no idea which way Bess's momentum is carrying him.

[​IMG]

Bess had turned in and the Cb had lost his balance, but notice the safety, the throw can be made, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, and if one notices, Henne just tucked the ball to run with it, with his feet not set no way he should even try that throw.

If Manda was going to complain the Henne tuck and run at the goaline when Hartline was wide open is a better case.

10. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I don't know if the guy's ever gonna get there, but he certainly isn't going to go from a frog to a prince without some bumps in the road.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Great quarterbacks also misses those throws as well.

Hopefully Henne will look at the tape and learn. He still isn't very good at creating extra time with his legs.

12. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    Omar seems like he is beginning to get on board the Henne train. He did the rewind and said Henne played "amazing... awesome".

Henne has also made that play before, I believe in the Pats game in 09 when he tossed it to Hartline. I believe in Henne and I will second fin13 in saying Armando is a dick.

MarinePhinFan and ToddsPhins like this.
  13. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    90% of the QB's in this league still have a loooong way to go.

MarinePhinFan and Pandarilla like this.
  14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Man, Armadito, 10/13 for 175 (including 2 drops) is terrible for just over one half of play despite a break down in protection. TERRIBLE. How dare he not throw for 400 yards in less than a full game!! No QB is going to maximize EVERY opportunity or even see EVERY opportunity just b/c YOU yourself can after the play has already happened. It's easy to irrationally nitpick when looking for every flaw while expecting a QB to have a 100% completion rate and throwing for 800 yards.

[​IMG]
    Darn you, Henne, for not throwing through Incognito and 69's outstretched hand. Darn you I say!! Thank's for drawing that line straight through the defender though. :wink2: (Edited: You beat me to it, VManis)

so not throwing a TD on a broken play equates to being "miles away" from being a good QB? :huh:

MrClean and Paul 13 like this.
  15. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    Also looking at those pictures Carey and Colombo had that DL on a knee. All they have to do is push him back and lay on him. I understand its pass blocking but I think Carey missed an opportunity for a pancake.

Colmax likes this.
  16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That son of a ***** Fasano can block.

17. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Seems to me I recall a guy named Payton Manning throwing a pic 6 in the Super Bowl two years ago on an ill-advised throw. Then there was the Matt Ryan throw near the end of the 2nd quarter in playoff loss to GB last year. Rarely, have I seen such a poor decision from even a rookie.

In watching Rodgers the other night against the Colts, and despite going 19 for 23, I was surprised at how inaccurate he was on some of this throws. Threw a 5 yard out behind a wide open receiver resulting in the receiver going out of bounds for about a 3 yard gain. Had several throws that Henne gets flamed for.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Farve had five years in a row where he made a stupid throw that hurt his team in the playoffs.

Still, Manning, Ryan and Rodgers all have more good throws than Henne that help color the perception they are good quarterbacks.

Henne is going to have to make more good throws to change his perception, especially for touchdowns.

jdang307, unluckyluciano and AdamC13 like this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think its a fair play to criticize him on.The problem is once he felt the pressure he took his eyes off the defense. He needs to trust what he feels in the pocket and hang in there. Some of it is situational football as well, because taking a sack there wouldn't have done anymore harm than scrambling for one yard. At the least, you'd like to see him throw the ball to Hartline in a spot where only he can get it. He could have also hit Bess as well, but it would have required a throw to a certain spot that may have led Bess back out of the end-zone.

jdang307 likes this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Ideally, you'd like to see him move up in the pocket and create his own lane. He had more than enough pocket to work with there.

Rhody Phins Fan and jdang307 like this.
  21. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I actually look at this as a good play by Henne. One of my criticisms of Henne in the past is that he was slow in his decision making process. I have been overly impressed with the speed in which Henne is making his decisions this preseason. He dropped back, went through his reads and decided the best play was to be conservative given the context of the game rather than take a risk and make a game changing bad play.

Henne runs it in (which he has had success running this preseason) and Miami is up 14-3. He doesn't make it and Miami is up 10-3. He throws a pic 6 and Miami is down 10-7. Sometimes the best decision is to decide not to throw it. I think that was the case on this play.

MrClean and ToddsPhins like this.
  22. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    It's highly analytical and on-target. Henne did play well Saturday, evidenced by his rating. But he also did not maximize his opportunities, as stated accurately by Salguero, evidenced by the lack of scoring.

Nothing wrong with it.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Look where his feet are pointed SB, basically parallel, he is going to have to step forward to set them, then fire the ball into decent coverage.

I'd bother to log in to the Herald's blog and tell Mando what a tool he is making himself into on that one, but he should already know that and why give him more hits?

rtamigo likes this.
  24. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I thought this comment was the most telling by Odinseye:

At least Armando is progressing as well. As I've never seen him use still shots before. Beat writers have a learning curve also. In this instance, he may be a little off base though.

25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    See you guys are explaining why Henne didn't make the throw. That, to Armando, is why he isn't great. Good, not great. that's all he is saying.

I'm never one to agree with Armando but Henne has missed throws. All QBs do, even the great ones. But Henne isn't great. The great ones will find a way to make those throws.

One step to the right and he has a lane. is it because his feet are not nimble enough to do that? Fine, but the great ones will do it. Brett favre hucks it while stumbling 5 yards and is inches from the ground. Tony Romo whenever he runs is looking to throw it.

henne whenever he runs pulls his head into his turtle shell and barrels ahead. Ben is always looking to throw even when running. Who puts their head down on a football field?Look at henne, he's 5 yards from the line of scrimmage but his head is pointing almost to the ground (exaggeration I know, but he's not scanning the field or else he'd see Hartline).

Tell me, who is to the left of Henne in that photo that could tackle him? Why doesn't he slide to the left while waiting for a WR, instead of putting his head down and barreling ahead?

So yes, Armando is right. He's not there yet.

EDIT: You tell me, if a lob to the back pylon right there isn't a darn good idea with only Hartline in that frame?

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Henne may or may not be "there" yet, however Manda is pushing the wrong cart on that play as evidence of anything, especially when the photos are not posted in series, from the snap to the tackle, someone drew a red line for the poor dear as if a laser like throw is going through the DL's outstretched arm, and I suspect Henne stepped that way to throw to Bess, DL stuck his arm in the throwing lane, so Henne took off.

27. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    You bring up a great point. The average QB last year put up the following numbers...

327 of 539, 60.75%, 3,544 yards, 6.57 ypa, 23.5 TD pass, 16 int, 82.24 QB rating.

Not only do QBs average 1 interception a game it is easy to go back and find 2 or 3 passes that theoretically could have been picked off.

What I think Henning's play-calling did as much as anything is prevent Henne from making good throws or big-play throws like we are seeing this preseason (Hartline, Marshall). I recall last year opposing DBs saying they knew what patterns the WR was running by the formation and didn't have to guard deep. Our WRs didn't really have a route tree but more like a route bush or route plant.

I think in Daboll's offense we are getting to see that Henne will have a chance to make the good throws you referred to.

MrClean and ToddsPhins like this.
  28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The defensive backs also said they could dictate who Henne throws the ball too.

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Thats part of the problem:lol:

jdang307 likes this.
  30. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah, because his feet are planted in the ground right, instead of sliding over to the right, or just standing still (look at the next frame where that DT is clearly a few yards to the left which means he was on his way there in this frame). He had to slide to the right maybe, 3, 6 inches? ;) And unless henne a right hand somehow throws the ball from his left side of the body, there is already a lane there.

To defend Henne in this frame is reaching, in my opinion.

No. not throwing more TD's than INT's in a season is miles away from being a good QB. He's not there yet. he's better than he is last year. But he's not there yet.

MrClean and ckparrothead like this.
  31. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    If that throw results in a pic 6 not throwing it does maximize our scoring.

If not maximizing our scoring is the point of good or great player then perhaps the article would have been more appropriately written about Marshall and his fumble toward the end of the half. Probably made the difference from Miami taking a 10 to 14 point lead at the half instead of being tied.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    That D-tackle did a good job containing Henne on that play. Henne's feet are definitely better this year but that picture doesn't real tell the real predicament he was in. Maybe a Vick or Young could make that scramble but Henne will probably never have those tools to work with.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO this will take time since it's an aspect of the game that's related to experience and learning from those experiences. Honestly, how many times did Henning allow Chad to throw inside the 10 last year? Not to mention, his feet were still a work in progress at that time.

Chad needs to see more reps in this situation in order to develop the ability to make outstanding decisions in the redzone since it's entirely different than playing from our own 45 yard line.

34. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The problem with that play was pretty simple. The early reads were fairly covered and the line collapsed. Had the line done a better job, Henne had Hartline coming open. If that's Tom Brady behind the Pats' offensive line, he has all day to sit back there and throws a TD. He'd probably be able to take a smoke break before he chose what receiver to hit.

ToddsPhins and Ronnie Bass like this.
  35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Chad Henne took a step this preseason. He has many more to go. I talk about QB Rating a lot. But that's really only the first step, being accountable for your own performance. Eventually you have to be accountable for your offense's performance too, and that's where you start to find that even a decent QB Rating isn't enough if it means your offense only scored 10 points in 7 drives.

rdhstlr23 and schmolioot like this.
  36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think that first screen cap shows pretty clearly that he had Davone Bess breaking for what could have been a touchdown. A franchise starter at QB probably hits that pass, even if it means needing to be active with his feet inside the pocket to get the open lane.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    No, that's not what Armando is doing. He's using 2 snap shots of one play in an attempt to reduce Henne's entire outstanding performance down to being "miles away from being a good QB". That's a load of crap IMO.

If you used still photos to exploit all of Josh Freeman's mistakes or poor throws Saturday, you could make him look like he belongs on the bench. You could do that for every QB in the NFL this preseason.

What about all the opportunities that Henne DID take advantage of? Those far outweigh the couple he missed, and THAT'S what makes for a great QB b/c no QB is hitting on 100% of them.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That franchise QB probably doesn't have 3 WRs versus 7 in coverage, while he has seven guys protecting him at the line and still breaking down. Jake Long will be a big relief to say the least.

Paul 13 and Frayser like this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah, it WAS just ONE PLAY....... so in order for you, Armando, to support your opening statement you had to pull in 2 plays from the Carolina game b/c you had no other ammo from the TB game to support your biased, hack-journalist opinion.

40. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    ToddsPhins likes this.