1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armando: Ross will offer Philbin a contract extension

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    There is plenty of evidence that strongly supports the science behind motivation. There is nothing fantasy about the primary responsibilities of a head coach.

2. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I'd like to see the science of motivation applied to the 2014 Miami Dolphins to show that decreased motivation, as attributable to the head coach, was responsible for a lesser number of wins than would be expected given its level of talent. It all sounds great in theory, but when you actually have to support it objectively, you're bound to struggle.

3. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    For every example someone can point out to support the notion that the team could've done better with another coach, another example of the good coaching it had could be nominated to counter it, and we'd be no closer to having any certainty with regard to the effect Joe Philbin had on this team in 2014.

When we talk about teams with comparatively little talent that play very well, or the converse, where a team with tremendous talent plays poorly, it's far easier to support the notion that the effect of coaching was paramount in either instance. When we have a team with average talent that plays at an average level, however, it makes the effect of coaching far more uncertain.

And that's not to say that Joe Philbin didn't do a poor job; it's only to say that we can't know for certain either way under these circumstances.

4. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    You literally had players state that Philbin failed to motivate them. Beyond that, last season a player quit and subsequently attempted to sabotage the team. Not only were players not motivated to play, they were motivated to bring the team down.

5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    You have yet to prove the team had average talent.

There also aren't many examples of "good coaching" you can cite. The only redeemable trait of Philbin cited thus far is being organized. He certainly isn't respected by his players.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  6. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    We also had this:

So how much weight do we give these sorts of sentiments versus the ones you mentioned, and what does that say about using such sentiments as the means by which to evaluate the coach? Again, when you have a team with average talent that performs at an average level, it removes the most reliable method of evaluating a coach -- an over- or underperformance with regard to talent. When the team performs as expected, we're reduced to quotes from players and other such subjective evidence, whose weight or meaning can't be determined with any certainty.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...to-miami-dolphins-in-2015-20141221-story.html

7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't go by sentiment, I go by actions. Players going AWOL. Players making obscene gestures toward the staff. Players yelling at the head coach. What a player says on record is not very going to be useful information.

8. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The team had average to slightly above-average quarterback play, combined with a number of Pro Bowl and AP All-Pro players that's far more consistent with a non-playoff team than with a playoff team. The overall team DVOA was 15th in the league. All of these things point toward "average." I'd like to see a case made that the team had something other than average talent.

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The bottom line is Ross has made another mistake. And we fans have to suffer for it.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    All the measures of talent you use also include the effect of coaching, and can't be used. Having average QB play is an indictment of Philbins inability to develop Tannehil beyond an average level. You need to use something independent of their performance on the Dolphins. Maybe their performance elsewhere or something utilizing market efficiency.

11. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Like I've said before, we can go 'round and 'round about this, and what will happen in the end is a philosophical difference of opinion regarding the effects of coaching, versus the effects of individual talent, on players' and teams' performance. And that difference of opinion can't be resolved with anything definitive. You're giving coaching a far bigger coefficient in your regression equation than I am, and neither of us can be proven right or wrong.

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I wonder if the extension would give Tannebaum power over Philbin and then allow Tannebaum to fire Coyle.

13. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    That's what we said last year.