Armando Salguero: Rolando McClain sucks. (uses U.Draft videos)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Section126, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, how you or I may feel about Crowder has nothing at all to do with McClain's potential as an NFL ILB.

2. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Armando continues to show how much of an idiot he is. I'm surprised people still read his articles.

3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    McClain is nothing like Crowder at all. Totally different skillsets. Like night and day really.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But you can't use him in man coverage so you either limit your 3rd down D or take him out. That's not a wash.

5. MrClean

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/2010DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Rolando.McClain.htm

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He's hyping McClain up alot. First pick in the draft? I doubt it.

7. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
  8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agreed bro.

I can't get past the comparison to DeMarcus Ware. Rolando McClain wasn't a college DE, as Ware was. I'm pretty sure that Rolando's future is at ILB, and he's nowhere near the pass-rusher Ware is - not understanding that article all.

As good as McClain is, no way he's the 1st overall pick.

Anonymous likes this.
  9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't agree that McClain is a 2nd round prospect but I'm sure that it's possible, even probable that he's not on every team's top 32.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5712

Rolando McClain-LB - Player Feb. 27 - 12:40 am et

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards.
    McClain's speed and agility testing will be key because it's believed he may not run better than 4.7 in the forty. 4-3 teams want middle linebackers to have sideline-to-sideline range. McClain may be billed strictly as a 3-4 inside 'backer if he doesn't excel in movement drills over the weekend.
    Source: Move The Sticks on Twitter

I know some believe he's the next Ray Lewis, but it is fair to note that this opinion is far from universal.

10. MrClean

I don't get it all either. Just putting it out there as another viewpoint. Drew likes to go against the grain a lot. I'm certain he does not believe McClain will go 1st, he is just saying what he would do if he were picking. Either Suh, Bradford or McClain. I found the Ware comparison odd as well. He also talks about moving McClain all over the place in the front 7 from down to down, which isn't something Ware does, so it seems contradictory to the Ware comparison. One thing I like about Drew, is he does not claim or pretend to be a scout. He even says he is not. He considers himself just a guy who like many of us, loves to watch football and analyze the players, and then just gives his opinions based on his personal observation.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  11. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    We couldn't cover TE's last year. We struggled in the middle of the field. We have our banger ILB that can cover the run in Crowder. We need that guy that can make reads and cover the extra receiver and McClain seems like that guy. If he's there, I say take him and roll the dice with the next pick.

Xeticus likes this.
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see why you think he looks like that guy. McClain has great instincts and size, but he lacks speed. He's not a guy who's going to play on all three levels. He is very good at the middle level, especially in a zone. On the first level he's not a great blitzer. I agree with Boom's description of him as an "interference blitzer". He also isn't going to play the third level b/c he's not overly fast or athletic enough to stay with guys deep.

13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Those are all the reasons we need him, because we lack that kind of guy on this roster. We have a banger ILB in Crowder, we dont need a blitzer in the middle for our type of 3-4. Our 3-4 has both ILBs hovering the middle, not attacking the QB but surveying the field. Crowder covers the RB while Ayodele covers the QB. Problem is, Ayodele is like a Crowder-lite and isn't doing well in his role. If anything, Ayodele should either be on the strongside OLB spot or backing up Channing Crowder. McClain is the guy we need to spy the QB, make reads and put our guys where they need to be. Crowder is the guy who though he has learned from Zach Thomas, he needs to be the type of LB who just plays instead of thinking too much. McClain needs to be the brain of our defense setting guys up and making reads, something we miss from the ZT days. McClain will develop faster than most LB prospects some want, like Brandon Graham and Brandon Spikes. I really do think he's going to be the next Ray Lewis in time.

14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You know, with the disparity of views of McClain, it makes me wonder what some people see in him that others clearly don't. I also wonder about his reputation as being superior in all respects to Brandon Spikes. I think Spikes might be a better linebacker for us based on that alone.

But besides that... using the #12 pick on an ILB seems a waste to me. The position isn't nearly as important as it once was, and Crowder is already pretty good at quarterbacking the defense. (Great? No. But good? Yes.) If McClain is the best player on the board at that point, sure, grab him. But will filling ILB help the defense more than, say, filling ROLB? We have NOTHING there, and the free agent crop at OLB is pretty sad.

Signing Karlos Dansby and drafting an OLB is a superior scenario to drafting Rolando McClain.

DeDolfan likes this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You don't take guys like that at #12. If they're not going to blitz and be able to cover on the third level, you can just get a guy in the mid rounds who'll have roughly the same impact.

texanphinatic likes this.
  16. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, more and more I'm starting to agree with that strategy.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yeah I am starting to have second thoughts on Diehard.