1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what point does the economy affect the NFL ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PMZQ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I know I will still get my NFL Sunday Ticket, but I have read that Huizenga is already kvetching about a slowdown in season-ticket renewals, and blaming the economy.

So when do we finally see a trend towards reducing of NFL salaries ? How is the NFL going to deal with a shrinking economy ?

2. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The economic ramifications of the recession we're currently in will be felt in all American industries. Organized sports (or entertainment if you prefer) are no difference. There are several mitigating factors that could change the shape of the American landscape as we know it. And there's no easy fix to it. Especially not a $600 check from the govment that pays for 1 months rent, 1 weeks worth of groceries and 1 trip to the gas station (if you're lucky.) But when you get into that discussion you bring up several political and social arguments that are best served kept off this board.

The biggest factor most will point to is rising gas prices. And that plays a vital part. With the rising price of gas all modes of transportation are becoming increasingly expensive. And that does play a factor in the Dolphins inability to sell tickets. When you're faced with the premise of paying your bills or going to a football game it's not a hard decision. And when you've been providing an inferior product for the better part of the past decade (as the Dolphins have) you're even less likely to get people to shell out their hard earned, and decreasingly relevant money.

But to answer your initial question, we're already seeing the ramifications of the "shrinking economy," as you put it, in the NFL and all sports leagues. Whether it be the University of Miami president lobbying for a 13th game on the schedule to increase the amount of money coming in, the NFL pushing for a 17th game on the schedule, or the reluctance of the owners to renew the existing salary cap. Under the current CBA teams are required to spend a certain % of the cap which this season I think is roughly 65 million. I'm no financial prognosticator but I believe that if that requirement is removed you will see a decrease in player salaries.

At this point it's hard to tell what's going to happen. Economic scholars can't predict the economy. And lord knows I'm not one of those by any means. We can only hope that the frivolous spending of the past 8 years will be rectified with the new presidential regime. In that case let's pray we don't elect Obama (yeah, I said I would leave the political part out, but come on.)

3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    You bring up several salient points, especially the gas situation, and I think it affects the Dolphins & Marlins, and the Hurricanes this year once they start their games in the Dolphin Stadium this year.

Dolphin Stadium is farther from the bulk of the population than any other stadium I can think of in the US. I live in central Miami-Dade County near Coral Way and just west of Coral Gables, and its a 25 mile trek to the stadium. That is a lot more $ I spend on gas that fans in other places never have to spend. Its another factor that makes it easier to just not go to the games. I think this is a HUGE factor in the Marlins poor attendance.