1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiophile question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stitches, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Would people recommend getting banana plugs for connecting my speakers to my receiver, or do you find them to be unnecessary?

2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    what? make more clear what your exact question is. you mean RCA/patch cables? regular speaker wire? fiber?

3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

it depends on the gauge of the speaker wire and how clean you can twist the bare wire. the heavier the gauge the more i would suggest banana plugs. if you are only using 24-16g and are careful with your twist then the plugs are not needed. as far as making a difference with your sound, it really wont affect it, in fact bare wire(un-corroded) will transfer signal better. :up:

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I got 14g wire, and thank you. I am in for some banana plugs.

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Speaker wire.

6. DOLPHAN1

no problem. i assume that you are using a high/er grade wire like something from Monster, for example. if that is the case then make sure you are careful when stripping the jacket from the wire and try to maintain the direction of the twist if possible. most name brands have special twisting for sound travel. Monster has a dual wrap that transmits lower frequencies along the center in a more straight twist, with a tighter second layer wrapped around the core for higher frequencies to help keep the frequencies travel time similar. the two sets of frequencies arrive at the voice coil at the same time.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Monster Cable is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too overpriced for me.

I bought my cable from monoprice.com

If you have never been, I suggest giving it a look. Much better prices than monster, and no loss in quality.

www.monoprice.com

8. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I like eggs.

9. DOLPHAN1

you would be AMAZED at the markup on Monster products!:pity:

there are other more affordable brands out there. i usually use Acoustic Research when i can find them.

10. DOLPHAN1

sunny side up, over easy or scrambled?:lol:

11. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Scrambled or not at all.

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I used to work at Circuit City (in movies/music/games dept), and our biggest discounts came on cables and wiring. The mark up on those things are insane.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :hi5:

14. DOLPHAN1

:up:

13 years Best Buy myself. Home and car audio, Video(tv's, cameras, dvd/vcrs) computers, media/fun 'n games and services/Geek Squad. the markup is usually around 70/75% and some cases 85/90% for cables. it was insane! i'd buy my cables and what retailed for $100, i'd get for $18...

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, that's why I go to monoprice.com. No mark up it seems, just have to pay for shipping. I would have liked to stay at circuity city, but they wouldn't let me work part time/weekends, and I had accepted a co-op at the time that was paying $14/hr (made $19/hr just as recent as this past spring). So I was like, whatever, your loss.

I worked 14 hours on black friday the year I worked there. BLah. That day was not fun.

You still work at BB?