1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back surgery

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by USArmyFinFan, Apr 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I am facing the distinct possibility of back surgery. I was wondering if anyone has any information of experience to share with me in order to make an educated decision. Brief history, I have 2 (maybe more, diskigram pending) herniated disks and some bulging disks. I have a good amount of pain as of now and have trouble doing day to day tasks at times. The Army use’s the new technique where the go in via the abdomen causing less trauma to spinal area.

I have heard good and bad about the surgery; I have time but wanted to gather information now. Any thoughts or advice?

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    The Army's using what seems to be the safer method IMO. I'm sure the doctors will be most informed about the procedure, risks, etc.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  3. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I guess I was hoping (bad way to put it, I wouldn't wish back pain on anyone) that someone here has had it or knows someone who did. I know I shouldn't worry, but to be honest, I can't help but worry.

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, I didn't want to be the bringer of bad news, but I did have an uncle who underwent a back surgery procedure. Didn't really work for him because the pain returned and it essentially was just all for nothing. But there were no complications or any other new side effects.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  5. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I have had one Laminectomy and two Discectomies since '05 (L4, L5 S1 region on both sides). I experienced sharp pains, numbness, pins and needles, spasms, you name it, down my left side, including my lower back, leg, ankle, & foot. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he managed to relieve the pain through surgery. Two years later I had experienced the same thing down my right side and decided to go to a neurosurgeon instead. It took two attempts to somewhat relieve the pain but I still deal with it day to day down both sides and probably will the rest of life. Right now I'm meeting with a pain management doctor and am on a cocktail of medications to relieve the pain. Physical/Massage therapy tends to help in the short term, but the pain sensations always come back. You may also want to invest in a TENS unit to help alleviate pain temporararily. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me anytime.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

My mom has had 12 back surgeries, no ****.

Don't do it unless you feel like you absolutely have to because of the pain.

USArmyFinFan likes this.