1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Moon rising in Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Aug 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

See this is where we don't agree......if we were truly rebuilding we wouldn't be so hesitant to throw Henne in there and let him either sink or swim so we can see if we still need a QB. Everyone is going with Penny because why?.....They believe he gives us the best chance to "win now".

The impression I get from some fans is that they want immediate success but they don't have the patience for it. You can't do everything in one year.

That would be most fans..and our FO......but not me;]

2. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Last year means little right now.......and yeah we have a few pieces but we still have huge question marks. Especially at QB, the most important position on the team

Just my opinion bro, take it or leave it

JS

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why would you throw him in there when you have the luxury of a smart quarterback that can mentor Henne? Also, Henne may not be ready so why play him?

Let him sink or swim to see if we need another quarterback? I don't think that's the right way to approach it, honestly. I think you're forcing the situation. You want to let your quarterback learn from the sidelines and see the types of things he's going to notice when he's in the game. Sitting a quarterback is not a bad thing at all. It seems like you're making it out to be however.

I don't see anything wrong with that. He does give us the best chance to win now because he's the only proven quarterback on the roster and he's the only one that knows the game like the back of his hand. The other two are not ready yet.

You're post above suggests that you may be rushing it. ;)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I have to agree with alen. You start with the trenches, then address the other needs. You cannot have a young QB in there from day one with a bad line.

Many people, IMO, don't realize how lucky Matt Ryan was. He had Michael Turner behind him, who was always an underrated RB, and Roddy White, who was off a 1,000 yard season. If he came to Miami, he would have Ronnie Brown coming back from a knee injury, and no sure talent at WR. He was fortunate to land in Atlanta.

5. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

No idea how u see that

6. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    That kind of thinking is how you end up wasting a good team on a QB like Jay Fiedler

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The defense came alive in the second half. Henne didn't have a great game. It is one game, no need to fire him. Special teams needs to figure out who the final special teams is going to be. If there needs to be coaching change, Tony will make the move. Not sticking up for Torbor, however he lost control. Tony ripped him a new one, and we move on from there. Hilliard isn't that bad, and you need to talk about the Oline didn't set the world on fire either.

Bro there was some good in the game, even though it was a let down from the Panther game. I liked what I saw out of Hartline, Wake, Moses and others. You saw when they came out after halftime they had more fire. Yes there is room for improvement, but the team doesn't totally stink either. Was I let down watching the game yes. Do I believe that the coaching staff needs to light a bigger fire, yes.

I want to see the money we spent on the Oline show some dividends. Henne needs to play his game, and not the dink and dunk game as brother first&goal and I were talking today about. I would like to see him open it up, and have the defense play the field rather then playing in close to the line. This offensive unit needs to crank it up if we are going to have a chance against these championship caliber teams we have on the schedule.:wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he's getting his necessary reps. I'm sure he's gotten a large number of reps in practices and in the pre-season, from what I've seen, he's gotten a good number.

Why? If he gets a legit running game from the base offense, he can do more.

There's going to be growing pains whether he starts now or he starts a year from now. I think when the team is strong and he has all the necessary pieces around him to succeed, he'll be put in the line up and asked to do the job. I don't think there's an issue with that because he'll be well prepared by then. He's going to slowly be used in games. I think Sparano said it last month, that he's going to give Henne some reps in the regular season when we are out of games or we're leading by a large margin. I don't see anything wrong with that. Slowly develop him and then after this year, he'll be starting material. We saw the Patriots do it with Matt Cassel a couple years ago. Cassel saw action in three games in 2007 and when he was asked to take the role of full-time signal caller in 08, he was prepared.

I think the window of opportunity will be open for a while because we'll continue to see the infusion of young talent on the roster.

9. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I missed the first qtr, and part of the second as I was driving home from work. I saw a team that didn't have the same swagger as they did in Pather game.

10. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    You've seen them in 3 preseason games. Give them more time to gel in regular season action, and then we can start talking about how our offensive line is playing.

And if you think they are playing just average, then why do you want to throw Henne in there? Do you want another John Beck situation in Miami?

That was my point in that post. Put your future QB( Henne) In a position to succeed. Build the lines, have your skill positions set, then put in Henne.

11. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Maybe...maybe not if this FO continues to screw up in FA like they have

JS

12. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    They defenitely did not have the swagger. They looked like they just wanted the game to end before it even began. And, really, you can't blame them. 3 games in 11 days is brutal.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To each their own.

What it will do is make the play action more effective, thus drawing the defense into the box and opening up the field for the wide receivers to make plays in space. It will also make throws easier on Pennington.

The infusion of the young talent does not need to come via free agency. And every management is going to have its flaws and will be wrong on some players. At least this front office is willing to admit their mistake and move on from it, as they did with Eric Green and Ernest Wilford.

14. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    They hit on some FAs, too. Pennington, Bess, Smiley, and Randy Starks.

Trowa likes this.
  15. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    And if Henne can't cut it?

Then what?.....Pat White?....to me thats a joke.

We're obviously not going to agree on this so we'll just have to see how things shake out

JS

16. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I understand your point bro, but this was a game when you had to get a good feeling about your first string and see things clicking. If you can't see your 1st string clicking, and then you have to turn around and evaluate your 2nd and 3rd string. It makes for a long night. Maybe this is why Jeff Ireland has been working the phones to see if he can upgrade this team or perhaps make trades for players we are going to release. :wink2:

Anonymous likes this.
  17. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Fine, then. Agree to disagree.

jetssuck likes this.
  18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Add too much money spent for Grove and totally wasted money on Wilson to that. These things add up and leave u with no wiggle room under the cap

It was good debating with u bro but I need to hit the sack, have a good weekend everyone;]

JS

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You're going to overspend often in this league because of the inflated market. Every year the prices go up. And I think you're simply ignoring the fact that Wilson could have success here.

Lol, alright, if that's what you think.

Likewise. :up:

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    time to move on?:crapstrom:
    this post is beat & off thread
    the single star rating
    says it all:yes:time to move on

21. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    23rd really you think we will not contend this year from one bad preseason game. We still won the game too. Everyone needs to relax I mean really I know the 3rd preason game is suppose to be like a dress rehearsal but just relax. Just because we did bad in this game does not mean we will do bad this whole season.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend RonnieBrownTown:
    we still have practices & game four to fine tune the team
    anything is possible & the team is very competitive

however

I think as the offensive line goes, so goes this season
    if the Orca-5 live up to expectation, the running opens
    if the running game opens, the passing game opens
    if the offense is dominating the field, our defense rests
    entering the playing field fresh to punish the other team

that's what I think

by game four of the regular season the Orca-5 should hit their stride
    if not, the year may not go so well for Miami

my expectation all along , since the very beginning of the NewRegime in Miami
    has been that by 2010 we would be a serious contender. I have hope for 2009.
    :up:
    @ the very least, it will be an agressively competitive, interesting season

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I would never call a win the worst game I've seen as for Dolphins games. I'd take a butt ugly win over a pretty loss any day of the week.

I can think of 15 games in 2007 that were IMO all worse than that Bucs, without a k, game the other night.

I've been a fan since 1967 and can remember a lot worse games. I'm sure some of the other old basterds around here, like Marty maybe, can remember worse looking games as well.

dolphindebby, late again and cnc66 like this.
  24. MrClean

Are you a chick? I think bi chicks are so hot. If you are a bi sistah, that would be even better, I'd enjoy meeting up with you. Even if you're Asian, I'd rank bi Asian chicks right there with the sistahs. :yes::yes:

As for whether or not you are bipolar. I'm not a shrink, like our buddy Shouright, so not professionally qualified to say. However, in just this thread, your opinions and feelings about the team appear to be all over the map. IMO anyway. If not bipolar, perhaps manic depressive or schizophrenic. Even if are, as long as you are bi sistah or Asian chick, I'd be willing to overlook it. :up:

keypusher, HolliFinFan and cnc66 like this.
  25. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    ^^best.post.evah.^^

ahh, thanks Marvin! :hi5:

MrClean likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

Has to be one of the most random posts ever.

MrClean and late again like this.
  27. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    For the purpose of being informative as well as fair; Bi Polar Disorder is a more updated term for Manic Depression.
    Individuals with the diagnosis cycle through depressive episodes as well as manic episodes. Frequently they're separated by periods of normal mood.....
    kind of like fervent sports fans. :lol:
    23's ok he's just worrying a little too much at this time.

Oh, and who are you calling OLD????

MrClean likes this.
  28. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Ahem, I've watched them for over 30 years. I graduated in '67 from high school. So, I don't consider myself or Marty an old b. We've aged like fine wine.(sort of)
    Anyway, carry on, that's just my 2 cents worth. :tongue2:

29. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I would love to see what you would have posted if you were a Colts & Manning fan after 4 preseason losses, the year they won the SB over Da Bears.

Relax, take 2 valium and post again in the morning.

It may have been ugly, but that only serves to give Sparano & staff lots to use to yell at the players, incentivise them, etc. There were lots of things I hated about that game, but after all we did win the game, and believe me, Tony & staff gave a lot of players an earful during, after and in practice based on that game.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  30. MrClean

I'm quite sure you've both aged like fine wine. In Marty's case, perhaps MD 20/20, same as me. Actually basterds is meant as a term of endearment, so I hope you were not taking alarm in that. I'm also a bit of an inglourious basterd myself. :knucks: :wink2: One good friend of mine in Oregon and me used to always call each by "hey ya basterd" He was the old basterd by virtue of being 10 yrs older than me, and I'm the young basterd, even though I ain't young by most comparisons. Sometimes I'd call him bas for short, or maybe bass with a sea in front of it. Sea Bass, you may remember as the nemesis of Lloyd Christmas, a somewhat obscure reference not lost however on my friend. :lol:

31. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    So your buddy is 108 years old? Damn! :lol:

32. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    nonsense both of you have at least aged as well as that wine in the box does.......

late again likes this.
  33. MrClean

We count our years by methods to not necessarily include the Julian Calender. :wink2: To find my friend's actual non Julian age, I'd have to know when Papa Peaches was born, and base it from a fixed real number from that reference point forward. :up:

late again likes this.
  34. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    You and I are about the same age and have been following the Phins about the same amount of time. Remember 0-34 against Buffalo in 1980? Or 3-23 against Buffalo in 1999 when we had like one first down? Or 0-23 against the Jets when Fieldler threw a ton of INTs? Or hell, Super Bowl XVII, when apart from Cefalo's TD and Freeman Walker's KO return, we had almost zero offense?

As for both teams looking this bad, well, you may have me there. But I'll bet if someone made us look at all the preseason games going back to the early 70s, we would see plenty that were this bad.

I'm not happy about it or anything. It really was awful. But it doesn't worry me much.

35. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    STOP STOP STOP...:omg: You've got my head spinning. :lol:
    I'm just going to take you at your word, brother.
    I'm okay. You're okay. That sort of thing, y'know?

dolphindebby and MrClean like this.
  36. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    No alarm. Just fun
    I liked Merlot myself. (the cheap kind. LOL)

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So if you were Jewish, by your method you'd be what...4,000 yrs old or something?

38. MrClean

No. We do not use a special Jewish calender.

Just because I am a basterd, and somewhat inglourious, you think I am also a Jew? :wink2:

39. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    empty barrels make a lot of noise:taz:

late again likes this.
  40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The point is, if you saw that game as the 'sky is falling', you should probably take a chill pill and relax...no superbowl champions were ever decided in the preseason. No 0-16 teams were ever decided in the preseason either...

The team in general played poorly. There were some bright spots. I thought the best thing about the game was the way the 1st unit offense came out of the gates at the half time. You highlighted the poor points very well, except I'd be a little more lenient on Henne. He didn't play like Penny has nor did he play as poorly as Beck did for us...

A little moderation is in order at this time...after last years' preseason, who'd have thought we would be 11-5 and AFCE Champions ??

late again likes this.