1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news going in to Detroit - Michael Thomas, S, Out for Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Saw it on Twitter.. Ian Rapoport. Chest injury.

2. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago
    #Dolphins versatile S Michael Thomas is out for the season with a chest injury, source said. Big loss in nickel & special teams.

3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I don't remember him getting hurt, tough break and a bigger loss for us than some might not realize

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Great story last year and solid this year. Big loss, especially from a depth perspective.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Tough break. I like him and thought he was progressing.

6. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    Well that sucks.

7. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Need to stay healthy, don't like this kind of news.

8. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Time for Aiken to step up....

VanDolPhan and Bumrush like this.
  9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

His loss will be felt on the coverage teams, especially. Typically one of the first guys in on the tackle.

He is also a glue guy that tends to rally others with his fins celebration

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    core special teams player and pretty good at it too....next man up

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pissass..

12. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    fixed...

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Aww man that sucks. I really like him and his passion. He was turning into a nice contributor.

14. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    intererested to see if we put rashaan melvin on the active roster from the practice squad

15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    bummer, but we'll inevitably have injuries. better than an injury to starting 22.

16. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
  17. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Knock on wood we've been incredibly lucky this year with injuries. I'm going to miss Thomas, he's a gamer who makes plays. Someone needs to step it up.

18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Think we give Chris Clemmons a look? Knows the defense

19. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If hes willing to assume that role, Id be totally for it. Worked with Daniel Thomas.

20. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Thomas was really good on special teams. Ugh.

21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Miami played that game with Chris McCain and Lowell Rose deactivated, and I think both of them have certainly shown things on special teams this year. Hopefully they can mitigate some of Michael Thomas' play.

That said, I did like that Miami went to using a 3 safety look yesterday and it was very effective. In sub packages they would have Thomas come in and drop either Jones or Delmas into the box or flat to show a lot of blitz looks. That could be where Thomas' loss hurts most. I do like Walt Aikens and hopefully he can step up.

22. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    This is terrible news..his play was really starting to come on and we will miss his great attitude and growing play. God Speed in your recovery Michael and Walt it's time to step up..if Clemons is available we should pick him back up.

23. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Total Bummer.

I love this kid. Love the way he plays the game and it is a killer losing a key special teams player.

24. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Not my favorite Dolphin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody call Myagi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    RoninFin4 likes this.
  26. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know why they wouldn't given Jamar Taylor a crack at the slot CB/FS position. You ain't really using him to do sweet **** all else, and I'm not sure he'd be worse than Jimmy Wilson and Thomas.

djphinfan and RoninFin4 like this.
  27. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It speaks to the depth that the organization now has. When was the last time we mourned the loss of a backup safety/ST player?
    How many players on this roster can we say aren't contributing at all, save for some high draft picks from the Ireland regime last year that are not performing?

28. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I said above he's my favorite Dolphin...I hate seeing any player get a long-term injury, but one of the guys that plays with heart EVERY play and never quits, those are the ones I really hate to lose. Ellerbee, didn't so much mind that one...we upgraded, Michael Thomas, loss of a CONSISTENT contributor, gutt-wrenching (to me).

You're right...we have a lot of depth in a lot of areas...it's a nice place to be, I give a TON of credit and respect to Hickey for his youth-movement and the impact it has had, and will hopefully continue to have.

And the way we cut people to let them play around with some other teams' practice squads, just to bring them back when needed...priceless.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Never heard of him. Chris Clemons is out there though. I'd sign him. :up:

30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

You left out the best player on the team, and the best DT, who were both signed while Ireland was GM.

31. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Really like this kid. Solid player and he's all heart. Outside of his ST work he may not be a key contributor but he always seems to be in the thick of things. Never seems like a guy that is picked on by opposing Qb's when he's on the field and that should say something.

32. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Re-watched some of the San Diego game last night, and at one point Miami had a package with 4 "safeties" on the field as they brought down either Jones or Delmas in the slot in a blitz look, with Jimmy Wilson in the other slot and Michael Thomas deep with whoever wasn't brought down between Jones and Delmas.

I know Taylor got some looks against Chicago and Jacksonville. I think Boomer intimated that he's got the goods talent-wise, but his technique isn't quite there yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a starter instead of Cortland Finnegan down the road this year or certainly next season.

Disgustipate likes this.
  33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see the reaction to losing Thomas as disproportionate. He was a key STs contributor playing 70%-80% of those snaps and depth in the secondary at a minimum on defense. He was also an emotional catalyst for the team. That's a significant loss. Not as significant as losing a starter on the two main units but still a significant loss. And it's not like anybody was acting like our team was suddenly doomed. The responses just acknowledged that it hurt our team some to lose him to injury.

Tin Indian and djphinfan like this.
  34. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm suspicious this isn't another situation where we've got a young player who is a totally viable contributor is getting marginalized due to stubbornness and some bizarre set of principals. Even if he's an unfinished product, he's one who isn't getting victimized in any sense on the field and is on pace for like 200 snaps this year while guys with less upside and ability are consistently out there in roles he could plausibly be expected to fill.

I'd like to see him taking snaps from Finnegan, but I really don't expect it even if he's performing pretty well.

35. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Bummer...kid was tearing it up on special teams and provided some great depth.

36. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wonder if it's a Kevin Coyle thing, or a thing he picked up from Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati. He's had a penchant for playing veteran DBs over younger guys dating back to Cincinnati. I remember him playing Nate Clements and Pacman Jones over Brandon Ghee, a guy they thought was pretty talented in 2011; unfortunately for Ghee he was derailed by injuries. This was after Leon Hall was injured that year.

Prior to that they'd always seemed to play vets over their young guys, even if they weren't that effective. Roy Williams comes to mind.

Even now, they play Leon Hall and Terrence Newman on the perimeter over Darqueze Dennard and Dre Kirkpatrick. Hall might warrant a starting spot, despite his injury history, but at this stage Newman doesn't. Kirkpatrick has been a bit of a disappointment, but Dennard has shown well when he's been on the field. I'd argue Dennard has played better in the slot than Pacman Jones has as well. That being said, their whole defense has slipped mightily with Paul Guenther at the controls; injuries have certainly played a part, but there are times they've looked just plain bad.

37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's an overall culture thing. I think you're seeing it with guys like Rishard Matthews, Shelley Smith, and a couple other lesser cases offensively over the years.

38. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He's the biggest one, IMO. Hopefully back-to-back games with TDs will get him in the mix more. He seems to be getting more snaps over Hartline and/or Gibson in the redzone anyway.

Good shout on that!

I'm hoping I can watch the parts of the San Diego game I missed tonight. I'm interested to see what Dion Jordan did, though it sounds like it wasn't much.

39. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You are right about this. I really do not understand why Rishard is getting such limited playing time, especially after the job he did last year given the opportunity that he had. I think that him and Tanny click on the field and he is a tough receiver with good hands and should always be the first choice in this offense over Hartline. I am hoping to see his playing time increase drastically.