1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jack..Benton on James.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 29, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

I've noticed a change in Philbin, he's trying to be nicer to the media for sure.

Like to hear that about the rookie James.especially the " really talented individual part"

Some good stuff in there about this dude from the titans Damian Williams.

Ducken and gafinfan like this.
  2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Why can't we have a receiver w/ a little height?

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Binns.

4. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm loving James' work ethic.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Be a little ironic if Wallace didnt make the team. Shame about that contract.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I dunno. I was kind of turned off by Philbin's saying that he's taken to personally going around for bed check each night. That doesn't seem like the best use of his time or energy, and it doesn't help his rapport with the players the way he thinks it does. I think it just contributes to an image he should be fighting his way out of with the players. In other words, I would expect that the guy who goes around the field picking up stray pieces of paper is the guy who would go around the team hotel at 11pm knocking on doors to make sure everyone's asleep. IMO, it's not a good look.

I'm also not sure I like the indications that Daryn Colledge was signed as a sure-fire starter. It seems he was. If they immediately moved BOTH Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner to the right side, then I think that position is going to be problematic...and I'm not sure Colledge's play at left guard will be good enough to justify the problems you've added. He hasn't been GOOD in a while. If you're thinking that Daryn Colledge represents a positive delta over what the Dolphins had in 2013 that was so atrocious, that's not something I would agree with. And now it's kind of looking to me like we might not expect a positive delta over what we had in 2013 at right guard either. And certainly not center, whether Shelley Smith improves his snapping or not.

The only delta we could be confident in would be Branden Albert. Even JaWuan James, we don't know. Tyson Clabo finished 2013 with a -5.5 PFF grade. Yes he was awful in the first half of the year but he also clearly improved in the back half. Just to give some perspective, Luke Joeckel who went in the top 5 accumulated a -7.7 PFF grade in only 4 games. Eric Fisher accumulated a -21.5 PFF grade. These were the first two players taken in the NFL draft. D.J. Fluker was a #11 overall pick and he accumulated a -7.7 during his year with San Diego. And for all the positive remarks about Justin Pugh or Lane Johnson, they had +1.9 and -2.2 PFF grades respectively...not much different from Clabo's.

So those people that are expecting a serious improvement at right tackle versus Tyson Clabo...I don't know how realistic that really is. You're basically just down to Branden Albert hopefully being better than Bryant McKinney, and hopefully staying healthy.

The other thing that disturbed me and was something I hadn't really thought about...is the pressure on the snapper to be precise. It's not something I had thought of but it makes sense. This was already likely to be a pressure point for Mike Pouncey himself, who had a history in college of some bad shotgun snaps. Because of the things they ask the quarterback to do in this offense, they need that snap to be pinpoint and consistent. That isn't a problem I had anticipated when I suggested moving Shelley Smith over being a good idea, and it could easily be a deal-breaker for that experiment. Even if his snapping does get better, it might not be at the precision level they need.

7. josh

josh Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Raleigh, NC

I could not picture Don Shula or JJ doing it, but my impression of Dick Vermeil or Pete Carol is that they might, but they'd also be trading tips on buying vintage Chardonnays, not criticizing a run play.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem is not necessarily any one thing in isolation. The problem is how completely "in character" it is with Philbin's established persona with the players, because I don't think that's a persona he should want to reinforce. Other coaches with a different persona (because of the million other things they do differently from Philbin) can probably do the exact same thing as Philbin (bed checks) and get away with it.

9. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

Or it could be a way for Philbin to get some one on one face time with players in an informal setting. I would suspect that had he done this last year he would of had a better sense of Martin's mental state.

10. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    It looks like Gardner is taking 1st team Center snaps. IMO, just move Shelley Smith back to RG where he was playing. You might as well improve that position with the person you signed. Either run with Gardner at Center or sign Satele and try to survive until/if Pouncey returns.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I doubt bed check would have given him any sense of that. I would love for him to get more and better face time with the players. But not in that role. I don't think it's good for his persona with the players.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think you shelve an experiment after four days. If you decide to try something you should commit to seeing if the players can improve.

I think it should continue to the 1st preseason game.

13. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    Why? Its not like he is instituting a bed check where there wasn't one before. He is just doing it himself now. For some players there isn't much opportunity to talk with the HC without it being a "big deal".

MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  14. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

eh...I dont know if I totally agree with you on that CK. Was listening to phinsiders....and I think it was OJ McDuffie who made this point....but he said alot of the players will go an entire week without actually having a conversation with the head coach. He said in Training Camp...him going room to room gives every player a chance to get a minute or two of face time with the head coach. Said gives the players a chance to go onto Google and maybe find out some inside info on what Coach likes....then they can use it when he comes around that evening...was said with humor, but I think its a good point. For younger guys...and guys really working hard to make the team, usually the only time they really get face time is when they did something wrong.

Ducken and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Personally doing bed checks is the most Philbin thing I could possibly imagine.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Incidentally training camp roster is 90 players deep. Is Philbin bed checking 90 players? If so, does he really get to spend "a few minutes" chatting up every one of them? That seems to be peoples' impression, but it's not realistic. More like 5 seconds worth of dialogue per player.

I'm sorry it's just so "Here's grampa Philbin making sure I'm not staying up too late playing video games".

That was not the problem a year ago.

17. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, if he makes the team. Doubt he will.

18. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I read it and I never thought he was acting as a "bed checker". I think that's an assumption. Equally plausible that he's touching base and trying to keep his finger on the pulse of the team. Additionally, it's not like has the freedom to behave exactly as he chooses because of last years scandal.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The following statement directly from Philbin is pretty explicit:

20. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    "Bed check" followed by making sure they are OK and busting chops, not followed by had to discipline a guy for playing Super Mario. Totally different tone. My take.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  21. VManis

Nov 10, 2010

But in the context of the entire quote it sounds like he is doing it to build rapport and chemistry with the players.

Obviously with 90 players he isn't going to have any in depth conversation but you'd be surprised how much a simple "nice job today" directly from the HC can go to building confidence in a rookie. One thing I like about Philbin is that he admits there were problems last year and is actively trying to fix them. It may or may not work but I can't fault the guy for trying.

Sceeto, DPlus47, DOLPHAN1 and 3 others like this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    More "BJack" from today:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...es-nuggets-from-camp-wednesday-heat-item.html

DPlus47 and 77FinFan like this.
  23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "OL has problems, offense struggling"

Circa

Etc etc

gilv13, Sceeto, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    the huge difference as to why this oline should be better than last year, is we have move athletes this year, albert and james can move, smith can move, their athletic for their size, clabo, martin, jerry, mckinnie, and whoever the hell we had in there at left guard are not..They can recover better if they get beat..

I saw more mistakes because a lack of athleticism and strength last year than anything else.

lets not complicate the game too much..talent wins, talent offsets youth and in exp.

ive got to feel like colledge will bemore consistent than what we put out there.

ive got to watch some of colledges tape..

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I suspect Colledge will do just fine, he is a pro journeyman Olman

And that is the problem, has been for over a decade, the last out of nowhere OL, or even non first rd draft pick who came to camp and dazzled was DThomas in 08, since then the list is long and undistinguished filled with John Jerry/Joe Toledo types of players

Samson Satele lasted what..1 yr? and played with a torn labrum at that, gone, we then signed Jake Grove who was good..for oh what 8 games?

This yr, watch, much like 02, all Vet players save for James (tho we had Carey then)

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I like hearing that the defense looks good. I don't know if I trust anything Coyle says though.

The offense will struggle, again. We have a ****ty offensive line, again.

27. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    How the hell can anyone tell without tackling? Took awhile to see that the LBs couldn't last season, didn't it??

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    OL will be..wait for it..average

James=Smith=Garner=Colledge=Albert

Albert is the best of the bunch, now look at our depth..uhm..Jason Fox?

Now anyone who has watched the league knows one or two guys will go down, Thomas and Turner are the backups..both w/o positions so to speak

Classic classic Dolphins

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We drafted him in 2007 and he played all that season and also 2008 as the starting Center. He played with torn labrums in both shoulders in 2008.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Pouncey could move last year. Shelley Smith doesn't move as well as he does. Dallas Thomas lumbers as much as John Jerry. Daryn Colledge at this point in his career isn't going to move any better than the combo of Incognito and Brenner/Garner a year ago. In fact, probably worse.

The upgrades in mobility come primarily at tackle. And what JaWuan James has over Tyson Clabo in mobility he could easily give up in lack of experience.

So you're basically down to an upgrade at left tackle with the potential to have overall downgraded the other four.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Colledge graded out well last season, Smith did "okay" at RG, James is a rookie and all that comes with it.

All clear upgrades, the real question is Center fitting into Lazor's System and imo, Philbin/Hickey are being obstinate about bringing in a Vet who can move, or giving a UDFA a shot, the pat hand we are looking at, Garner can play Center he is a poor fit in this system.

Overall, as long as Thomas or Turner does not bounce off the guy he is supposed to block it clearly is an upgrade

James=Smith=Garner=Colledge=Albert is a average OL, which is then an upgrade over the massive failure of 2013

djphinfan likes this.
  32. MrClean

Totally cannot agree with that. Baby J has lumbering down to an art form.

33. MrClean

I agree and I dunno why they are being that way. My guess is we do not sign Satele, he ends up back in Indy, or somewhere else, and is a decent player for them while we struggle at Center until Pouncey comes back. 20/20 hindsight will say why didn't we sign Satele at the same time we signed Colledge?

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is one of the areas the Dolphins always mess up C, they bet on a young player, or a out of position player, focus on it, even if it turns out the other leaks on the submarine that is an NFL season comes up and we wind up with "shouldacouldawoulda"

there are some roster politics going on imo, if we sign Satele and move Smith to RG and play Colledge at LG, it means we have to carry 9 olmen, Turner, Thomas, Garner and maybe Fox,, with our glut at Cb, someone would have to be cut on the OL as unless Turner or Thomas find their inner backup T/G/C, it will be Garner or Fox, and then our backup to somewhat dinged up Albert is?

35. MrClean

IMO, 9 will be the most likely number of OL on the 53 anyway. The player in jeopardy if we signed Satele could be Brenner, who with only 7 games played last season still has PS eligibility.
    If we don't sign Satele, my current guess for the OL contingent is:
    Albert
    Colledge
    Brenner
    Smith
    James
    Turner
    Thomas
    Garner
    Fox.

If we do sign Satele, then I'd guess he starts and Brenner could be waived at final cut and signed to the PS.