Barry Jackson Florida Sports Buzz: Fins RB chatter

76 repliesLocked

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 11:28 AM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

We see where this staff's priorities on character have gotten us so far. Mired in mediocrity.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on o-linemen here. I'm just reading the opinion of the writer that McKinnie grades out better than Colombo, coupling that with what I've heard about Colombo getting owned so far in camp along with past instances of this FO using the Dallas pipeline instead of searching out more talented players and drawing some conclusions. Maybe Colombo is the better of the 2, I don't know. Doesn't change how I feel about Ireland and company taking the easy way out with Dallas connections. There are better players out there worthy of this FO's attention.

Blitz, its the beginning of the 4th year, lets give them a fair chance with their guys in this critical 4th year, in other words, being mediocre thru 3 years {winning record} from the rebuild that was inherited is fine man, actually, its as good as anyone has ever done, I just want to see what this talented group of players can do in their 4th year without sh^%ing on them every chance someone gets..don't believe they deserve such harsh criticism before the 4th year has transpired because of the reasons stated.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 11:30 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Just curious, but can you check PFF for how Colombo did in 2009 and 2008?

Colombo was #25, in 9 games, in 09, and #52 in 08, in 16 games. He was above average in pass protect and run blocking equally in 09.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2011, 11:35 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

Blitz, its the beginning of the 4th year, lets give them a fair chance with their guys in this critical 4th year, in other words, being mediocre thru 3 years {winning record} from the rebuild that was inherited is fine man, actually, its as good as anyone has ever done, I just want to see what this talented group of players can do in their 4th year without sh^%ing on them every chance someone gets..don't believe they deserve such harsh criticism before the 4th year has transpired because of the reasons stated.

DJ, with all due respect, I'm only ****ting on one player (Colombo), but you're right, let's see what he does in games before I completely throw him under the bus.

I'm all about EVERYONE having a chance to prove they belong this year. Sparano, Henne, etc. And we do have a lot of talent on this team. Vontae, Wake, Long, Marshall, Dansby, Bess, Misi to name just a few.

But I see this FO making some of the same mistakes that have helped lead to the past 2 mediocre and failed seasons. I hope Chad Henne can pull a Drew Brees this season as much as the next Dolphin fan, but it doesn't change the fact that going into this season with Henne as our uncontested starter is risky, arrogant, and more of the same of Ireland and his mentor Parcells before him not placing the appropriate value on the QB position.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 11:35 AM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Bryant McKinnie would not be able to start anytime even remotely soon. He's just a massive piece of **** right now, and frankly, he's probably not that big of an upgrade over Marc Colombo circa 2009.

Dis, in all do respect, you're saying he's "probably not that big of an upgrade" over Colombo. Isn't any upgrade a good thing?

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 11:44 AM

"Southbeach wrote:

Dis, in all do respect, you're saying he's "probably not that big of an upgrade" over Colombo. Isn't any upgrade a good thing?

Not if you're holding a roster forever waiting for him to get into shape he can practice in, much less play in.

I think people are also kind of not at all thinking of Murtha. The guy is from what I've seen and heard holding down LT well. He's probably your RT once Long comes back.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 11:55 AM

Sure, I will beat my chest with my Arian Foster comparison on draft day....actually ill take 3/4 of an Arian Foster if I may.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2011, 11:56 AM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Not if you're holding a roster forever waiting for him to get into shape he can practice in, much less play in.

I think people are also kind of not at all thinking of Murtha. The guy is from what I've seen and heard holding down LT well. He's probably your RT once Long comes back.

I highly doubt it. The problem I see with that is, If they planned on starting him at RT, they would have him playing RT right now. and letting someone else play LT til Jake gets back.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 12:03 PM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

I highly doubt it. The problem I see with that is, If they planned on starting him at RT, they would have him playing RT right now. and letting someone else play LT til Jake gets back.

Why?

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 12:06 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Not if you're holding a roster forever waiting for him to get into shape he can practice in, much less play in.

I think people are also kind of not at all thinking of Murtha. The guy is from what I've seen and heard holding down LT well. He's probably your RT once Long comes back.

When Murtha can do the same, at full speed and pads, I will be impressed. Until then, I believe McK is a VG option.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2011, 12:14 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Why?

Well, my question would be why wouldn't he? He is a young guy that if they plan on his starting, needs reps at the position he would be starting at. Him getting LT reps isnt the same as the right side. If Carey goes down for the rest of the preseason would you expect them to shift Pouncey over to RG until he gets back?

No. Unless they expect Long to be out longer then expected, then I understand it. But it is more important to get him reps in the position he would be starting then having him on the left side just so the OL looks better when it doesn't matter...in the least. Especially considering all the time off.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2011, 12:20 PM

I believe that if McKinnie were in shape he would be a clear upgrade at RT. The guy is just a blob at the moment and his lack of conditioning is the reason why no team is beating the door down trying to sign him.

If he were in shape he wouldn't be available.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 12:27 PM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

Well, my question would be why wouldn't he? He is a young guy that if they plan on his starting, needs reps at the position he would be starting at. Him getting LT reps isnt the same as the right side. If Carey goes down for the rest of the preseason would you expect them to shift Pouncey over to RG until he gets back?

No. Unless they expect Long to be out longer then expected, then I understand it. But it is more important to get him reps in the position he would be starting then having him on the left side just so the OL looks better when it doesn't matter...in the least. Especially considering all the time off.

The difference isn't really that important, and they've said Colombo and Murtha will compete for RT. It's more important to get potential starters on the field, in 1st team reps than the exact position.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 12:41 PM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

Well, my question would be why wouldn't he? He is a young guy that if they plan on his starting, needs reps at the position he would be starting at. Him getting LT reps isnt the same as the right side. If Carey goes down for the rest of the preseason would you expect them to shift Pouncey over to RG until he gets back?

No. Unless they expect Long to be out longer then expected, then I understand it. But it is more important to get him reps in the position he would be starting then having him on the left side just so the OL looks better when it doesn't matter...in the least. Especially considering all the time off.

I don't think taking LT reps for a couple of weeks would necessarily be less productive for his development than taking RT strictly. Also, you want to get him experience at LT, because he's most likely moving there if Long ever gets hurt. But I also think the biggest thing they are doing is trying to see what Colombo is capable of at RT. They've seen plenty of Murtha over the past year, but they've seen very little of Colombo.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 10, 2011, 01:20 PM

I think people are dramatically underestimating what kind of problem McKinnie is right now. It's not the kind of situation where he's simply too big and will just be limited athletically because of it. The guy is a huge health risk. If the Vikings kept him, he'd be on PUP or IR more than likely. Despite his suggestions that he'll be ready to play in 2011, it's been suggested that the Vikings doctor suggested he play next year. If **** like his cholesterol being nearly 400 is true, I doubt he'd even be cleared to practice anytime soon.

The Aqua CrushThe Aqua CrushNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 01:23 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I think people are dramatically underestimating what kind of problem McKinnie is right now. It's not the kind of situation where he's simply too big and will just be limited athletically because of it. The guy is a huge health risk. If the Vikings kept him, he'd be on PUP or IR more than likely. Despite his suggestions that he'll be ready to play in 2011, it's been suggested that the Vikings doctor suggested he play next year. If **** like his cholesterol being nearly 400 is true, I doubt he'd even be cleared to practice anytime soon.

Not to mention if we did sign him, he would have to pass a physical, which by the sounds of it wouldn't happen.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 03:27 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Bryant McKinnie would not be able to start anytime even remotely soon. He's just a massive piece of **** right now, and frankly, he's probably not that big of an upgrade over Marc Colombo circa 2009.

Question is: will McK have an awakening after realizing he's on the verge of being a washed up nobody and decide that he no longer wants to be a massive piece of ****?

I'm not saying that's gonna happen, but it's possible. He might not contribute now, but if there are injuries mid-season, he could be ready to step in. It's not like we don't have the cap room for a risky insurance policy.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 03:30 PM

"bkbuffet wrote:

I was listening to a local sports radio show yesterday. They reported that in addition to being over 400 lbs, McKinnie supposedly has a Cholesterol test at over 400 as well. I don't have a link or anything but if true he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Edit: found link: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bryant-McKinnie-trolling-for-work.html

That seems about right.

I weigh 180 and my cholesterol is 180...... so 1 mg of cholesterol per 1 pound of body weight. He's fine.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 03:33 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Not if you're holding a roster forever waiting for him to get into shape he can practice in, much less play in.

I think people are also kind of not at all thinking of Murtha. The guy is from what I've seen and heard holding down LT well. He's probably your RT once Long comes back.

I was under the impression that Murtha wasn't a bad player, that he simply was a bit of a tweener who needed to fill out a beat, strengthen his base, and solidify his technique b/c the quickness and athleticism were already there.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 10, 2011, 03:38 PM

• Lex Hilliard has been running very hard, and how he fares in preseason will help determine if Miami feels compelled to sign a more accomplished third back. (Thomas' play also will factor into that decision.) The front office wanted to see Hilliard late last season, but the coaching staff never gave him a carry.

This is the kind of **** that annoys me.

Front office wanted to see Lex; I wanted to see Lex; playoff hopes were gone; the team was injured and we were playing practice squad WRs/TEs, but the staff grips onto aging RBs like they're life support, never giving Lex a shot.

He had a chance to see playing time last year in order better prep him for this year (and to provide us & the staff a better indication of what to expect), and they totally don't take advantage of the opportunity. Brain fart move IMO.

bkbuffetbkbuffetNew Member
Aug 11, 2011, 08:11 AM

"ToddsPhins wrote:

That seems about right.

I weigh 180 and my cholesterol is 180...... so 1 mg of cholesterol per 1 pound of body weight. He's fine.

Cholesterol is not in any way related to weight. It's like blood pressure, there is a healthy level no matter it you are 2 years old and way 20 lbs or 40 years old and 400 lbs. The guidelines per the mayo clinic say a health level is below 200 no matter your age or weight. Him being twice that is insanely unhealthy.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Aug 11, 2011, 08:30 AM

"ToddsPhins wrote:

This is the kind of **** that annoys me.

Front office wanted to see Lex; I wanted to see Lex; playoff hopes were gone; the team was injured and we were playing practice squad WRs/TEs, but the staff grips onto aging RBs like they're life support, never giving Lex a shot.

He had a chance to see playing time last year in order better prep him for this year (and to provide us & the staff a better indication of what to expect), and they totally don't take advantage of the opportunity. Brain fart move IMO.

Frustrating, yes, but coaching staff was playing with their jobs on the line. Hard to fault them. Given that they still failed, it's even more frustrating. Let's hope they don't fail again.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 11, 2011, 08:40 AM

"ToddsPhins wrote:

I was under the impression that Murtha wasn't a bad player, that he simply was a bit of a tweener who needed to fill out a beat, strengthen his base, and solidify his technique b/c the quickness and athleticism were already there.

I think he has everything you need from a physicality standpoint. He is big enough, strong enough, easily athletic enough and then some. He just needs reps to refine his technique and show he can stay off the injury report.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 11, 2011, 08:42 AM

"bkbuffet wrote:

Cholesterol is not in any way related to weight. It's like blood pressure, there is a healthy level no matter it you are 2 years old and way 20 lbs or 40 years old and 400 lbs. The guidelines per the mayo clinic say a health level is below 200 no matter your age or weight. Him being twice that is insanely unhealthy.

I think Todd was kidding. But you are totally correct though. I'm 290 lbs and my cholesterol has never tested out over 150. I get it checked every other year.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 11, 2011, 09:58 AM

"MrClean wrote:

I think Todd was kidding. But you are totally correct though. I'm 290 lbs and my cholesterol has never tested out over 150. I get it checked every other year.

290 mr. C?...whats up with that sir?

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 11, 2011, 01:42 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

290 mr. C?...whats up with that sir?

No kiddin. I'm not used to seeing him on a diet.

This thread is locked.