1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Boat Helmets, 3rd Downs, and other thoughts on our 3rd Preseason Game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    1. First and foremost, I have to admit this is the first preseason game I watched on HDTV. The others were internet feeds. Have we been wearing these god awful glitter helmets all season? It looks like we stole the paint from a bass boat factory...

[​IMG]

Black shoes I could care less about but sparkly twinkle toe helmets I have a bit of a problem with. :pity::pity: I'm secretly starting to wonder if Steve Ross is a Jets fan whose only purpose in buying the Dolphins is to turn our proud franchise into a laughing stock.

2. I'm a little worried we might see another inconsistent season out of Ronnie Brown. 1st game he was invisible, 2nd game looked great, 3rd game invisible again. I'm not blaming Ronnie for this. I worry that Sparano and company are going to continue to not allow either running back to get into any kind of groove whatsoever. But like last year, I won't complain as long as we are winning games. But I would like to see Ronnie Brown show what he is capable of and, IMO, that will never happen if Ricky continues to get half the carries. It's still preseason, so this could be needless worrying on my part. Who knows if the workload will change in the regular season.

3. Looks like the same old problems on 3rd down on defense. We just can't get off the field on 3rd down. This was painfully evident in one series. I think we had them third and short. They completed the pass, but there was a penalty. Upon being backed up a few more yards, they converted again. Maddening.

4. Pass rush started out slow, but really stepped it up towards the end of the first half and into the 2nd. Wow did Quentin Moses look fast on that intentional grounding play.

5. Looks like this Hartline kid could be for real. Great hands on that kid. Not sure if he earned that offensive pass interference or not. Another camera angle might have shown more.

6. Anybody deep down in places they don't want to talk about secretly hoping for Pennington to be injured so they can see what Henne and his amazing arm can do for our offense should have gotten a huge wake up call in this game. Pennington wasn't dazzling but played mistake free football and put points on the board. Henne was missing throws and that interception was awful. This is in no way meant to disparage Henne. I think he's coming along fine, but that's just what young QBs do and it's what we can expect if he were thrust into the starting role.

I'm sure there's more to talk about but I'll save the rest for everyone else! :up:

2. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Good points. Except after last night I'm even more patient concerning Henne than before. It seems to me that he needs some more time to develop. I think we need Pennington still.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    The helmets have been like that for a few years now. If I'm not mistaken, I believe most or even all the teams have helmets like that.

anlgp likes this.
  4. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    One thing is for sure. When the Green Bay Packers were on the clock at pick number 56 in the 2008 draft, they made the wrong decision. The right guy was chosen one pick later. :up:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090827/PKR07/90827119/1058/PKR01

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Are you sure? I had the exact same TV last year and I swear I never noticed our helmets being sparkly. Glossy yes, but I never noticed sparkly before.

Maybe I just never noticed and I was just paying more attention last night after being starved from Dolphins football for so long? :confused2:

6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No doubts about that at all. I am surprised about Brohm though. I thought Brohm was a great pick at that spot, and couldn't figure out why he was a first round projection a year before and then after his senior year everyone seemed down on him. But I guess there were reasons for his slide, and I guess that's why I don't get paid to make football decisions! And I'm thankful that we have guys in charge that know what they're doing. :up:

7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Ouch!, I was actually curious to how Brohm was doing in GB. Thanks for the article link.

And you're right, it does make me feel much better about Henne. At the draft last year I would've been happy with either QB, now I'm happy GB made our decision easy and correct

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You're correct. They've been around now for a few years and every team has the same thing. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually really like them.

9. dirtywhiteboy

dirtywhiteboy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Central Fl
    they (the helmets) have been like that for years, and yes, they look awesome. they show up more at night, especially if it rains, extra especially if you are watching it in HD.

10. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    This is what I was saying last week about the helmets. They have had the glitter in them for a few years now. Not all teams do this...but some like Carolina, NE, SF, and Jax have it. I would like it if we went back to the old flat white/off white style. Glitter is for girls.

cnc66 and MonstBlitz like this.
  11. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Moses has had a great preseason!

12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You may be right that our helmets have been like that for awhile now, but I know for a fact that not every team has glitter in their helmets. There is no glitter in the Steelers helmets and there are some Jags fans complaining because they just added the glitter this year.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Hmm, maybe not all teams, but a lot of them do.

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The OL did not open up any holes, it doesnt matter who you have back there, if there are no running lanes you'll be lucky to pick up 2 yards.

15. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Actually I think the black shoes are a huge deal and a big negative for us. Yes, a few guys like it because it makes them look more mean, but it provides a huge glaring problem.

Black shoes are EASY to see when stepping on White lines. There will be more challenges for WRs stepping out of bounds now, because it will be much easier to see. We'll no longer be able to get away with a few blown challenges here and there, because the video evidence is inconclusive when you try to see a white show crossing a white line.

I think it was a terrible decision and I hope they change it back next year.

54Fins likes this.
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I was all over the glittered up helmets during the Jags/Phins game day thread.

I don't like it and a few players helmets were hitting the dirt and tearing off the glitter, making it look even worse...

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Henne was off-target on his throws all night. No doubt about it.

However, that interception came on a play where they dropped the DT into coverage, and in Henne's defense... that zone-blitz play has made a lot of QBs look stupid.

He needs to learn to recognize it, no doubt... but, I wouldn't exactly call it an 'awful' play on Henne's part as much as a good play by the defense.

Just my opinion...

calphin likes this.
  18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So I'm not crazy? I swear they are glitterier than they've ever been. I don't recall ever seeing any glitter in our helmets. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's going to be an adjustment.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That pass to Camarillo was a thing of beauty, though.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed.:up:

21. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    last night was the first time i noticed the helmets as well.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  22. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think you guys worry waaaaaaaay to much about our image and fashion :lol:

Larry Little, Vengeful Odin and alen1 like this.
  23. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    The helmets have been like that for a few seasons, I have a very high quality picture of Trent Green with the glittery helmet. That doesn't have anything to do with Ross.

I've been talking with alen and opie about this on another site, our OL is really disappointing IMO and they aren't getting much push. For all of the money that we're paying them, they need to be far more consistent and generate more offense in the trenches. For all of the talk about Grove being a great runblocker and strong at the POA, I just don't see it up to this point. A glimpse here and a glimpse there just isn't good enough when you are being payed like one of the best C in the league.

I don't know of anyone who is rooting for any of our players to get injured, but that was a sloppy game in sloppy weather conditions. Pennington has been erratic as well, I don't think Henne's performance is any more damaging than his.

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    1 TD 0 Interceptions > 0 TDs 1 interception. Granted Pennington had more time than Henne to throw the TD, but that's also longer that Pennington played mistake free football. Well, at least turnover free football.

BTW, can you post the Trent Green picture?

25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Tonight I noticed the Patsies helmets have a little bit of glitter in them but it was just barely noticeable. Maybe that's the way our helmets used to look and now they are extra glittery?

26. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yes the sparkle helmet has been there.

Most teams have it.

It's only visible in certain light. Jags have it as well.

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Holy Moses... I must be blind.. never noticed the glitter... I like to think I have a fairly nice TV as well... anyone got a before and after pic?

MonstBlitz and siciliansith like this.