1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BCS Rankings - Title Game

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by GISH, Dec 2, 2007.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    As a Buckeye faithful, I am ecstatic. Not only does OSU get their shot at the title, but they don't have to play WV. I think LSU is gonna have a tons of touble stopping OSU's runningbacks.

My question is, does LSU deserve the #2 spot? if not why does Georgia or Kansas?

Both Georgia and Kansas didnt even make it to their conference championship game. LSU won the SEC. I'm glad it ended up this way, because I didnt feel like Kansas or Mizzou were ever true contenders. If Pitt didnt beat WV, then WV would have been a huge favorite against Mizzou or OSU. But thank god for Dave Wannstedt.

Thank you Wanny. I'll try not to bash you as much anymore.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's funny; I called LSU/OSU weeks ago before the recent chaos. Looks like I may be right after all.

It'd be great to have Glenn Dorsey come to this team fresh off a national championship.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Or James Laurenitis, Vernon Golston, or Malcomn Jenkins

4. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yea, OSU vs. LSU would be the "correct" matchup IMO.

Fact is, OSU only has 1 loss . . . and tho the BIG 10 is not up with the SEC, Pac-10 or Big 12 IMO . . . . OSU won that conference, and they deserve the title shot.

LSU lost 2 games this year, both in triple OT . . . that is tough. They beat Tennessee . . . who beat Georgia . . . and they smoked Va Tech . . . they won today with their best offensive player and defensive player on the bench with injuries . . . u gotta give them the shot.

Kansas only has 1 loss, but they played NOBODY, except Mizzou . . . who they lost to and who Oklahoma beat twice.

There isn't much of a debate here IMO . . . its seems obvious that is should be OSU - LSU, atleast IMO thats what it should be.

They need a playoff . . . 8 teams.

OSU, WVA, LSU, UGA, USC, Va Tech, Oklahoma and the other atlarge would be either an undefeated Hawaii team (tho they are gettin smoked right now) or Mizzou/Kansas . . . this way u get all 6 conference champs . . . and 2 at large teams. Would have been perfect.

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Dan Connor is better than James Laurinaitis. Also, all three will be gone when we pick again at #32. Unless we trade up. And if we do, I want Connor.

6. MiamiMan147

MiamiMan147 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    This year is going to produce the weakest national champion in a long time. What is it now, 11 upset wins by unranked teams over top 5 teams? There simply is no elite team in the country.

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I think LSU has one of the most talented teams on both sides of the ball that I have seen in a while . . . if healthy. Dorsey has been unhealthy for a while, and they have had skill positions players nicked up all season. There QB is now hurt as well.

IMO, better than Florida last year . . . and that is saying a lot (Florida still was very young on offense) . . . If I'm OSU, I don't want LSU . . . they will have a month to heal, and it would be like a HOME game for them, being in New Orleans.

8. MiamiMan147

MiamiMan147 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    LSU is very likely the best team in the country... and they lost twice to unranked teams, including one with 6 losses. When was the last time a 2 loss team got to play in the NC game? I can't remember one.

9. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007

To be fair, Kentucky was ranked, and it was in Kentucky. The Arkansas game, hey, they probably have the #1 player in the country, and he had an amazing day.

Good question tho about 2 loss teams . . . I'm guessing maybe Nebraska in 2001 when they played Miami. Well maybe they had only 1 loss when they played, but they lost to Colorado the last week of the season, and then Colorado lost in the Big 12 game and Nebraska moved up.

It probably hasn't happened in ages . . . but I know I rather see a handful of teams over a team like Kansas.

10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    L-S-U, L-S-U!

Big LSU fan, can't wait to see if they make it into the title game.

11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Well, if it's LSU vs. Ohio State there are several statistical measures that point to Ohio State as the likely champion.

For one thing, the YPPA Differential is huge edge to Ohio State. They average 7.8 offensively and allow just 4.7 for a net of +3.1. LSU is 7.1 offensively and 5.5 defensively for a net of +1.5.

The leader in that stat has won the BCS title game many years running, including so-called upsets like Florida over Ohio State and Texas over USC.

The last time the leader in YPPA Differential lost was Miami against Ohio State in '02. The Canes had a terrific net of +4.4 (8.7 offense and surreal 4.3 defense) while Ohio State was excellent but not quite as good as Miami, 8.9 offense and 6.2 defense for +2.7.

Aloing the same lines, Matt Flynn does not have national championship caliber numbers. His YPPA is a lame 6.7. As a team LSU, as I mentioned, is 7.1.

I know it's been at least 10 years since a national champion averaged less than 7.8 YPPA. It may be much longer that that. I went back 10 years recently, then stopped checking.

Boeckman is right in the standard ball park, at 8.0

12. corran105

corran105 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    To be quite honest, in this slew of ridiculousness that was college football this year, its disappointing to see that its still going to boil down to the typical powerhouses in either USC, LSU, OKL, or OSU.

13. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    With Hawaii winning now (what a game Brennan had) . . I would serve this up as a playoff.

1. OSU (1 loss, conference champ . . . only team that can say that in the BCS conferences)
    8. Hawaii (undefeated . . . they deserve their shot)

4. UGA (maybe playing best ball, but didn't even win their division in the SEC)
    5. USC (playing great ball, but loss to Stanford? nah they can't be ranked higher than this)

3. Va Tech (should have only 1 loss, but to LSU)
    6. Oklahoma (2 head scratching losses, in what I feel is an overrated conference, reason for #6)

2. LSU (#2 based on 2 triple OT losses and being champ of best conference)
    7. West Virginia (reeling after Pitt loss, but the team NOBODY wants to face in this thing)

That would be some exciting stuff right there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think VT may get the title shot if not Georgia

15. zackattack54

zackattack54 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Go Buckeyes !!! If it is OSU/LSU you will see the better defensive player in Ghoulston over Dorsey.

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    VT isn't getting a shot at anything. LSU beat them.

17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    would you have Tennessee here if they won the SEC?

18. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    LSU shouldnt get a shot either.

19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    As an OSU fan, Im begging for LSU.

If LSU has trouble with McFadden. Then they are sure to be in trouble against Chris Wells. Wells is a sophomore and is on his way to a Heisman season next year. OSU's pass rush is gonna give LSU nightmares. If they think they can use Hester on draws and screens, think again. OSU can eliminate HEster very easily. It's only when the QB can make those types of plays that OSU struggle to stop the misdirection. LSU wont be able to sell out on to stop the run because OSU will burn them deep. LSU only has one WR that is any good, and I consider Manningham better than any of their wideouts. OSU shut Manningham down. For LSU to have any chance, they will have to be on their best game. They will have to get huge numbers on the ground, and will need to master the QB draw and RB draw option. I think even with a healthy Dorsey, OSU runs all over LSU. Wells is that good. If they break containment on one play, they are done, its a TD. They couldn't contain anyone from Arkansas.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Why not? West Virginia and Missouri will plummet, West Virginia moreso than Missouri. Ohio State moves up to #1, and the teams ahead of LSU after the falling of WVU and Missouri are Virginia Tech, Georgia, and Kansas. LSU beat VT, Kansas isn't going to be slotted ahead of the SEC Champion LSU, and Georgia didn't even win the SEC East. Oh, and LSU won last night. That kind of counts.

If there's any sanity left in the BCS, LSU will play OSU for the national championship.

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    There never has been any sanity in the BCS, I would rather see Hawaii get a chance before LSU. Georgia and VT are ranked ahead of LSU. No way LSU deserves the chance.

This year is even more reason for a playoff.

22. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    actually, after thinking about this more clearly, I have decided that USC and Michigan should play for the title.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hawaii won't get in for the same reason Kansas won't get in: the level of their competition. Hawaii should be ranked top five, and should get a truly prominent bowl game, but they won't get a BCS bid.

VT should not be ranked ahead of LSU. Take out the SEC championship game, and the two teams have the same record, 10-2. But one of VT's two losses comes from an LSU blowout. That moves LSU clearly ahead of VT in my opinion. As for Georgia, LSU won the SEC championship game--Georgia didn't even make it. There is no rule that states a team has to appear in a conference championship game to appear in the national championship game, but it certainly helps your argument. Oh, and Georgia has two losses as well.

LSU vs OSU.

24. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    They would be in the playoff of course . . . LSU wouldn't . . . I probably wouldn't have them #2 . . . but they would be in there. Probably #3

25. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Oklahoma deserves a shot IMO.

Glad WVU didn't slide in there, although that allowed OSU to back there way into the big game.

Georgia didn't win there conference so I think they should automatically be out, even though they are hot right now.

USC is hot right now too.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They can play each other in the Sugar Bowl. Neither should appear in the national championship game.

27. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007

Yeah thats pretty much what I meant.

Looks like it will be Georgia/Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl and USC/Illinois in the Rose Bowl.

28. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007

Illinois? You are kidding, I rather see a 3 loss Florida team in there than Illinois . . . what the heck is going on. Does it really have to be Big 10/Pac-10 in the Rose Bowl?

What are the 10 BCS bowl teams?

OSU, LSU, UGA, Va Tech, Oklahoma, USC, West Va, Hawaii, Kansas and who? I hope not Illinois . . nothing against the Zooksters, but geez I wouldn't have thought they would be going to a BCS game.

29. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This has been such a wacky year.
    Oh and LSU will beat OSU 41-14.

30. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I didn't say thats what I wanted. :)

I meant thats what would likely, and has, happened.

Florida was the highest ranked team not to be in the BCS. :(

31. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    nah, I know that is what u meant, I was actually using your post as a suprise to me because I didn't know they were in the talks for a BCS bowl, and it has happened . . . very suprising . . . they are talented tho.

32. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Lou Holtz just said Florida will be the most impressive team of the bowl season.

Can't wait til next season. :)

33. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    So will OSU be able to break the 0-8 streak vs. the SEC with LSU having the home crowd advantage???? :)

34. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Can't wait to see OSU get spanked again.

35. djfresh47

djfresh47 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't stand Holtz. Florida is young with talent and i've got no problem with that point. Just seeing him dress up and try to give "pep" talks and sounding like he's going to spit out his dentures annoys me.

LSU and Oklahoma have the best two arguements to be in the title game. It could've gone either way with them. Georgia didn't win SEC and USC was ranked too low so that eliminated them. I think Georgia and USC are playing the best football in the country.

An arguement can be made for any of those team. Though I think the team that has something to gripe about is Mizzou. From what I get out of the CFB honks that it wasn't the BCS that didn't take Mizzou it was the bowl game because they've got a choice. The Rose Bowl went with tradition but I think it's a mismatch. I think Illinois is going to lose big.

36. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Nice post. I can't stand Holtz either. Between the spitting and the fact that nearly every school he leaves goes on immediate NCAA sanctions with him getting off every time...

Boy, every year I think we've seen the ultimate reason for a playoff, and then the next year gives us an even better reason. Such a toss up between LSU, OU, USC, and OSU/UG. Sorry for all the OSU fans who think I'm not giving them enough credit, but they lost to the best team the played this year, and that was a three loss team. I don't think OSU has a much better argument than Kansas or Mizzu, they just play in the weakest conference in the BCS.

Missouri got screwed big time. No way should Kansas have gone in front of them. Pathetic lack of common sense.

I guess the Rose Bowl just isn't going to take a SEC team. Last year LSU was ready to travel big time for that game. This year Georgia would have done the same and it would have given us a great game. Shame.

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I call Shannigans!

Probably not

38. djfresh47

djfresh47 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I the playoff works. This is my dream scenario that'll never happen but top 10 BCS teams. Since the schedule should matter and teams should be rewarded 1 & 2 get a bye. The plus one would help but not this year. I believe Georgia and USC would be left out.

I'm not a fan of Boeckman and LSU and USC are 1A and 1B in terms of talent. Tressel is a good coach and I think Miles sometimes lets his emotions get in the way of his thinking. He's got balls but I think Tressel is a better coach and has to put together a gameplan to atleast not embaress OSU and Big 10. Illinois is going to be out-classed and because of the conference rule of only 2 teams to a BCS game they got in ahead of Mizzou also. I get that but ASU has an arguement about not getting a look.

39. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Ga and USC wouldn't necessarily be left out. The +1 isn't a four team playoff. What it would do is play all of the "traditional" BCS bowl games, then match up the top two rated teams left from those games for the National Championship.

Plus one is so much better than what we currently have, but an eight team playoff would be ideal IMO. There's nothing really wrong with 10 teams, other than it would only leave one week of between the conference championship games and the first week of the playoffs. Not exactly the end of the world, but pretty crappy for taking finals. Then again it doesn't stop the Big Dance.

It should be ASU and KU that are disappointed. Mizzou being left out behind UK is criminal. However, I agree about ASU. I don't get how they are left out for Illinois. The crappy explanation I heard is that the BCS was only created to match up the top two teams, and the respective bowls can choose the at large teams of their choice. Since the Rose Bowl gets first choice, they went with the traditional Big 10 team, and couldn't choose a Pac 10 team either. At that point ASU was screwed because KU, UGA, and Mizzou were all going to be picked ahead of them. That only leaves Hawaii, which is this year's Cinderella.

I'm with you on Miles. I do not think he's a top tier coach. He's had either the #1 or #2 talented teams each of the last two years, and they've under achieved. Now that can happen even with good coaching, but his in game decisions would make me livid if I were a Tigers fan.

40. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Haters up in this thread.

Btw

Ohio St is faster than LSU according to the 40 yard dash comparison.

And here is a team comparison from Scout.

LSU Offense

Average Height: 6'2
    Average Weight: 260lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.78

Ohio State Offense

Average Height: 6'4
    Average Weight: 266lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.83

LSU Defense

Average Weight: 234lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.65

Ohio State Defense

Average Weight: 237lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.62

--------------------------------------------

LSU O-Line

Average Height: 6'4
    Average Weight: 306lbs
    Average 40 time: 5.04

Ohio State D-Line

Average Height: 6'5
    Average Weight: 278lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.81

VS

Ohio State O-Line

Average Height: 6'6
    Average Weight: 316lbs
    Average 40 time: 5.12

LSU D-Line

Average Weight: 287lbs
    Average 40 time: 4.84

Thanks to the Ohio St forums on Scout for that.

Though I still get the feeling you think LSU is going to kill Ohio St.