1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bears: Benson needs to lose weight

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by ATVZ400, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Bears: Benson needs to lose weight
    The News
    Lovie Smith called running back Cedric Benson a "hard worker," but indicated he would like to see the former Texas star lose weight in an effort to gain quickness, according to the Chicago Tribune. While being clear he was not laying all the blame on Benson, Smith said he does not want to see the same player he saw in 2007. "You look at some of those things and change your body up," Smith said. "You maybe play at a lighter weight. You do some things differently." He said he believes Benson is very motivated in part because of the way last season went for him but he also said it's time for him to live up to expectations. "There comes a time when you need to produce," Smith said. "That's where he is. It's as simple as that." Benson continues to rehab from a broken leg and should be ready to participate in the off-season program at some point.

Our View
    Smith also made mention that there are a lot of good running backs coming out in this class, and the Bears have been rumored to be selecting one of them in the 2008 NFL Draft.
    http://www.fanballnews.com/nfl/

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "and should be ready to participate in the teams offseason workouts at some point"

So basically, Luvie is sending a message to a player who is not working out this offseason, or at least is not working out...yet..this offseason.

Man, Ronnie Brown is looking like the right choice as time goes by, he may be injured a bit too much but you cannot doubt his heart and desire to be a good football player.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I know this has been said before, but i'll say it again... Both of ronnie's major injuries are strange occurrences really, and not much could have been done to avoid them. His conditioning isn't the issue. A helmet/facemask on the hand leading to a broken bone... not really much a back can do. Then the way he went down trying to make that tackle on the interception return... just another weird incident, not much he could have done to prevent that situation from happening. Injuries are just part of the game... **** happens IMO.

Ronnie was clearly the right choice, i can't disagree with you there. His power, his heart, and his desire to compete are second to none on this team. :up:

oh!! but about Cedric Benson... Ive got a feeling this could be his last year as a bear. I thought this guy had loads of potential, and im not sure why things havent worked out for him. He was second in line to Thomas Jones(and adrian peterson) the first two years... then he gets hurt last year... really unfortunate for him

4. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I would be worken him so hard if I was the Bears

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Cedric will be fine. They just need to let him be a feature back and give him some support on offense. Their O line was porous this past year and theyr not getting any younger to go along with their piss poor QB play. Give Benson some support and then see what he can do. I am a fan of him and I do think that he can be a workhorse in this league and be a good back. Now I know someone will respond to this post and say he is not tough enough which shows his 3.8 YPC average but you can't expect to raise that with a back who gets touched after only two or three yards. We all agree that the game starts in the trenches but to be a successful back in this league, you have to have good trenches play and he hasn't had that supporting him.