1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beasley - Advanced Stats Show Ryan Tannehill has regressed in Year 4

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article49594120.html

The argument here is that if you replace Tannehill even with a below average QB, you would be getting more efficient play.

We are paying Tannehill franchise QB money and he is performing poorly, well below the average QB at best, and a backup at worse.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015

ummmm....
    Tannehill played WR in college + Tannehill didn't have enough starts in college + Tannehill had Sherman for a HC in college + Tannehill's WRs dropped passes in college + Dolphins owner Ross sucks + Dolphins OC Sherman sucks + Dolphins WRs drop passes + Dolphins WRs always run wrong routes + WR Wallace sucks + Dolphins OL sucks + Dolphins OC Lazor sucks + Dolphins DC Coyle sucks + Dolphins run/pass ratio sucks + Dolphins running game sucks + Tannehill is "forced" to throw short + Tannehill is forced to stay in the pocket + Tannehill doesn't get to audible + Tannehill''s QB coach Taylor sucks + Dolphins HC Campbell sucks + Dolphins OC Taylor sucks + other QBs who won Super Bowl's early on were given many extra years to learn, grow and turn the corner + other QBs have great HCs + other QBs have great owners + other QBs have great GMs + other QBs OCs are awesome + other QBs running game are great + other QBs defenses are great + other QBs all get to audible + other QBs defenses don't let the opposing team score in the 4th quarter surrendering the lead + other QBs WRs never drop passes + other QBs have great OLs leaving them with all day to throw and never miss a block + QBR isn't valid + Win/Loss records don't exist + YPA doesn't really matter; THEREFOR Ryan Tannehill is a GREAT QB!

dolphin25 and Limbo like this.
  3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    LMAO I was going to quote that.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    This would make a great signature for you Fin-O. It will be even funnier when Tannehill is relegated to Henne status in a few years.

5. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I know QBR is invalid and all these stats, facts and other tangible items/empirical data are irrelevant because Tannehill can't be held accountable as the entire organization has failed him. Even the ushers at the stadium have failed Tannehill.

Rick 1966 and dolphin25 like this.
  6. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015

I'm not rooting for that to happen...but it is the path we are headed down at the moment.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So, given how bad our coaches were (they got fired), and how bad our QB has been, and how ineffectively our run game has been used...

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining why we have almost the exact same record as Seattle in games where the opponents score 20 or more points?

Or would you guys rather just sit around and massage each others egos over supposedly clever insult posts?

Canad-phin likes this.
  8. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    I think the biggest culprit for this is.......

Tannehill played WR in college + Tannehill didn't have enough starts in college + Tannehill had Sherman for a HC in college + Tannehill's WRs dropped passes in college + Dolphins owner Ross sucks + Dolphins OC Sherman sucks + Dolphins WRs drop passes + Dolphins WRs always run wrong routes + WR Wallace sucks + Dolphins OL sucks + Dolphins OC Lazor sucks + Dolphins DC Coyle sucks + Dolphins run/pass ratio sucks + Dolphins running game sucks + Tannehill is "forced" to throw short + Tannehill is forced to stay in the pocket + Tannehill doesn't get to audible + Tannehill''s QB coach Taylor sucks + Dolphins HC Campbell sucks + Dolphins OC Taylor sucks + other QBs who won Super Bowl's early on were given many extra years to learn, grow and turn the corner + other QBs have great HCs + other QBs have great owners + other QBs have great GMs + other QBs OCs are awesome + other QBs running game are great + other QBs defenses are great + other QBs all get to audible + other QBs defenses don't let the opposing team score in the 4th quarter surrendering the lead + other QBs WRs never drop passes + other QBs have great OLs leaving them with all day to throw and never miss a block + QBR isn't valid + Win/Loss records don't exist + YPA doesn't really matter; THEREFOR Ryan Tannehill is a GREAT QB!

9. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, except even exceptional play by Wilson in some of those games has still resulted in losses.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Circle jerk thread right on schedule.

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Nobody is rooting for that. I hope Resnor and FinD mock me for the next decade.

dolphin25 and Fin-O like this.
  12. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    We might have 3 Tannehill threads in parallel now. Not sure I've actually seen 3 before (2 yes, but 3?). Anyway, it's entertaining. Grab some popcorn dude!

resnor likes this.
  13. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm sure Wilson had nothing to do with their victories either.

dolphin25 likes this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Wouldn't mock you. You're not a troll, you're just wrong. Some other people though.......

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  15. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    res, not Wilson again. Please don't go there. :wink2::pointlol:

dolphin25 likes this.
  16. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think (or at least hope) that most people would agree he has regressed this year. I consider myself a pretty big Tannehill supporter, but I'll definitely admit that this year has been disappointing. However where I think the argument differs between the pro vs anti Tannehill sides is whether this year is an indicator of the beginning of the end. Personally I don't think a one year regression really tells us anything, and it is still certainly possible for him to keep improving as a quarterback. Hell even Andrew Luck was having a down year this year before he got hurt. At the end of the day Tannehill still has those moments that show you he can be a really good player. It just remains to be seen if he can ever put together all of the pieces.

DolphinGreg and Fin-O like this.
  17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    What are you even arguing about?

I haven't said anything negative about Wilson in regards to this.

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    This isn't about Wilson.

19. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You don't think a regression from mediocrity is worrisome?

dolphin25 and Bumrush like this.
  20. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    All true.. but luxury of time is something we don't have. Tannehill's probably getting a new coach and new scheme next year (assuming as is likely we keep him because of his contract), he might get more competition at the QB position, etc.. So clock's ticking for him too. He has to use these remaining games to change the perception of what people think he can and cannot do. Was it the OC's fault? Prove it.

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Bpk and Fin-O like this.
  22. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Glad you joined us [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Tannehill reminds me of Ronnie Brown. The debate is essentially the same.

When Ricky came back, I don't give a damn how much I wanted Brown to be the guy, Ricky wuss hands down the more instinctive, natural runner.

Bpk likes this.
  24. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Sorry, I thought you were the first to bring him into this thread.

"Just when we thought Wilson was out, they pull him back in"

dolphin25 and Fin-O like this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't think anyone would argue that or argue that there are other QBs in the league that are more instinctive passers.

There are none on the team currently however, nor are there any that we know can play in the NFL available.

Sceeto likes this.
  26. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I asked a question about team records when opponents score 20 or more points. I even specified that Wilson had played very well in those losses. I thought it was interesting.

27. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Nahhh. Leave him out of the thread. You know where that will take us. It's been done to death. Please use another QB

djphinfan likes this.
  28. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It came about because someone posted up their stats.

I didn't go looking for this information.

29. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That's so passive aggressive of you.

:tongue2::pointlol:

Fin-O likes this.
  30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm not being passive aggressive. I was, actually, trying to avoid this supposed comparison of Wilson to Tannehill, by specifying right from the get go that Wilson had played great I'm those games.

I was actally surprised that they were that bad in those games with Wilson playing at a very high level.

31. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    It came out because someone posted up their stats in this thread?

32. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You know what I'm talking about bro. Not a good idea....for whatever reason.

33. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No, another thread. I posed the question there, got ignored, and then they came in here and posted that mocking wall of text by Adam.

So I posed the question here, too.

34. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    A good way to avoid the "supposed" comparison is not to even bring his name up, but if you really really want to, then have at it bro. I still dig ya'.

Fin-O likes this.
  35. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I didn't bring him up to begin with.

I believe finsfandan did. He was the one that posted to screenshots of Tannehill and Wilson's season stats and records.

36. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    In this thread?

:favre: :lol:

Finster and Fin-O like this.
  37. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    every qb regresses in their career. it's what happens the next season that counts.

38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't think the "advance stats crew" was ever actually favorable toward Tannehill. His DVOA was 18th last season and his DYAR was 12th but that's the best they've ever been in what we all recognize as his best season as a professional. Both middle third ranks, not very good. In 2013 he ranked 27th and 26th respectively, and in 2012 he was 25th in both. What I remember is him being highly ranked in PFF's subjective grades which were even less reliable back then which is saying something. QBR has its flaws and I recognize ESPN owns FiveThirtyEight which makes the use of QBR an editorial imperative, but he's never done that well in it either. The best he has ever done in ANY/A is 21st, bottoming out at 27th one season.

Traditional statistics have never been that friendly to Tannehill, let alone advanced ones. Beasley is being lazy considering he can look at Tannehill's previous DVOA and DYAR values and see that the very same stats he used to indict this season have NEVER been kind to him. He's doing a disservice to legitimate advanced statistical analysis by pretending like it has ever liked Tannehill. I can see a lot of people picking up the idea that these stats aren't legitimate.

Stitches likes this.
  39. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    HAHA!Thats funny.
    Sadly I have to rely on tannehill tonight and parker,plus josh brown for 36 points to win my fantasy playoff game.Hopefully he won't let me down against the worst pass defence in nfl.

40. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    This. The only stats that've really been friendly to him over the years are yards and cmp%, both of which I'd consider volume type stats that are a function of how often he throws and how short he throws. A look any deeper into his efficiency shows you where the trouble is. His YPA, Points per Attempt, and TD rate are all subpar as well. Tannehill supporters shouldn't want to touch that stuff as they make their case.

Finster and dolphin25 like this.