1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Behind the Buzzsaw that is the NE Patriots Offense.....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Heres a GREAT article explaining the Pats offense and as to why its causing defenses such fits......

"Deploying multiple personnel groups on offense is a common strategy used to create mismatches. A coach like the Eagles' Andy Reid will go through six to eight personnel groups in the first quarter to force opposing defenses to identify what he's doing. It's a solid way to gain an advantage, and something that isn't going away, but the Patriots' perfection of one package is spearheading the monster numbers they've posted through two weeks.

The Patriots have primarily relied on what is called "12 personnel" to put up a league-best 1,126 yards of total offense during their 2-0 start. If you're wondering what "12 personnel" means, defenses use coding systems to make offensive packages quick to breakdown in a scouting report. It's a two-digit system that first identifies the number of running backs on the field followed by the number of tight ends. In this case, the Patriots' 12 personnel references one running back, two tight ends and two receivers on the field. Since there are always five eligible receivers, the number of wideouts is assumed after the two-digit number is declared.

There are many other groupings teams can use (see chart to right), each presenting unique problems. However, no one is creating more issues for defensive coordinators than the Patriots.

The 12 personnel package is by no means a new idea. There are several benefits to the grouping, including keeping safeties off outside wide receivers and employing a power-run game against a nickel or dime defense.

However, the Patriots have taken things to a new level by finding a way to present all the problems of several other packages with their version of 12 personnel. Bill Belichick's vision for this dates back to the 2010 draft, when the Patriots selected Rob Gronkowski in the second round and Aaron Hernandez in the fourth.

Hernandez is a hybrid-wide receiver type for the Patriots, and Gronkowski is a legit in-line blocker with receiving skills. That combination gives New England the flexibility to spread both of them out to create a spread set, line them next to the tackles and create a balanced set with run options both ways or put one in the backfield and run a two-back lead or play-action pass. Basically, the Patriots can do whatever they want.

With the versatility they have out of 12 personnel, the Patriots can go no-huddle without making any substitutions and thus don't have to wait for the defense to make changes. That way, New England can keep a defense on the field in an unfavorable matchup.

In Week 1, the Patriots went no-huddle on 30 plays, 12 times coming after they picked up a first down, meaning the Patriots went right to the ball when the chains were moved. Against the Chargers, the Patriots went no-huddle 15 times, six after earning a first down. Many of the 45 combined no-huddle calls through two weeks involved 12 personnel, leaving the opposing defense struggling to keep up, mostly due to Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Read this rest here....after reading this...I can see why we looked so lost at times out there.....
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ffensive-explosion?module=HP11_content_stream

dolfan22 likes this.
  2. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Really not complicated stuff. We were screaming for Miami to do the same thing with but they never really went after a guy like that.

As far as stopping it, it's pretty tough. Have to single up a LB (Burnett or Dansby on Gronkowski) and as far as Hernandez you're pretty much forced to play them in the nickel.

Sceeto likes this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

What really worries me....

Is how do you put pressure on Brady? Blitz....ur dead. Have to almost go 4-3...and hope to get pressure on him with your DE's.....

4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If anything I would say you have to lockdown the WRs 1-1, which we did well enough until Caroll came in with Sapp. Your DL must be capable of defeating their run blocks, making them one dimensional. As far as blitzing it's useless unless it's from a CB or a S and it's a surprise blitz, the CBs being the best choice.

If you play, clean efficient defense you can probably keep them right around 24 (without Welker TD, plus no Caroll-Sapp BS)-27. Have a strong running game or an efficient ball-control passing game. Houston is well equipped to play them. They can score 35 on that Pats D, while using their mobile blocking to leave Haynesworth and Wilfork out of place. On the other end they have a great rusher in Mario Williams who a guy like Solder is simply not strong enough to play against. With decent interior DL like JJ Watt-Cody-Brown rotating constantly they can keep Brady from having a historic night.

5. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I read this earlier. The Pats have the personnel and the best coach in the league with the best QB in the league. They know how to change it up and coach. Wonder if Miami can even attempt to try this.
    Execution is the key as well.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    We did a lot of it in 2008.

But in regards to stopping NE, I think you need to start with a 6-technique over Gronkowski. I don't know how many teams actively use 6-techs. I do know I saw TEN use some of it in preseason.

7. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You have to get pressure from your DL, so you can leave a LB to help cover. You can throw in the occasional blitz in the right situation, at the right time with the right design. The thing is, you are going to have to match them on O. Usually, you are going t have to be able to score a lot of points or at least stay on par with them. If you get behind, that type of O can bury you. I've been one of the ones whom have been clamoring for another good TE. I love the 2 TE set. It gives you so many options for passing and blocking. You can often have the best of both worlds. I loved when we had D. Martin and Fasano. With these wide open Os and the passing game becoming more and more prevelant, it leaves great options for the TE to bust the seams and to to just find space in the gaps in these Os.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I've been saying that the two TE formation was the future for a good two or three years now for many of the same reasons the article is espousing now.

9. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Whats a tight end?