1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beijing Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Surprised no thread on this.

There are several areas several events in the Olympics I have a long loved going back to 76 Olympics, watching France, when it’s still in my view the greatest downhill street. It’s just insane. Especially given the ski technology back then. And I love the incorporation of several winter X game sports, love the flying tomato and also just all skiing hand bobsled/luge. And great to see John Schuster as one of the CK flag bearers.

Of course, the elephant in the room is the oppressive, power hungry Chinese government. NBC has done a fair job of criticism given their limitations.

If anyone thinks the IOC chose China for the winter Olympics because of their great winter weather rather than ‘monetary influence’ (ie bribes) on IOC leaders, I know of a 22 mile bridge on the cheap in Louisiana. The IOC has about as quality a rep for its integrity as FIFA; or the Miami Dolphins owner. China’s skiing venues are *entirely* fake snow. (Of course often ski sites use man made snow - if typical natural snow falters; but China is skiing where it hardly snows).

Can’t wait to see future winter Olympics at those famed winter wonderlands of Saudi Arabia and Singapore.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I just don't have any interest. Along with not really being into any of the sports themselves, the fact that a huge percentage of the athletes don't even live and train in the countries that they represent any longer just makes it all meaningless.

Its not the very best of the best overall, and its not the best who are actually from those countries either, but a sort of worst of both worlds meet in the middle compromise of people who have some connection. Almost to the point that they're now free agents in some cases. I can't really stomach NBC's sappy coverage of the whole thing, either.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This and also the CCP can go pound sand

Boik14 and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I would normally tune in for some of the event but not with China. It's disgusting how a blind eye gets turned to grave injustice and abuse just because of the money on the table. Not a surprise, of course, but disgusting all the same. I refuse to watch.

Putting my mod cap on for a second, sharing your thoughts on the Olympics/IOC and China are fine. Getting into overall politics is not - as per usual.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Normally I’d watch for the hockey part, the rest doesn’t interest me as much. But with no NHL and it being in China, I’m not going to watch at all.

6. Pokitren

Pokitren New Member

Feb 7, 2022
    Yes, China is a special country. It has always been special. And with the arrival of communism, it became a strange country. It was successful, though.