1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belichick is a genius

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by miamiron, Apr 26, 2009.

1. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Grabs 12 draft picks this year and even manages to
    get Jacksonville and Tennessees 2nd round picks for next
    years draft....simply amazing

HAD TO ADD THAT HE GOT ANOTHER #1

mi2cents likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Belichick is an *******.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont understand how he gets so much, especially when other teams give up so much less. I mean, the Jets got a basement bargain deal for Sanchez really, yet NE is snagging second rounders for chump change this year? I dont know what they do, but its crazy how they get max value all the time and seem to be able to move at will.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Belichick has all these GM's on camera doing something dirty.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    he will only be a genius if he turns the picks into something.

6. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Yep I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday and it continued today as I saw what they accomplished.

I so want that guy to get a case of the Jimmy Johnson's and retire.
    He will keep that team top caliber until he's gone IMO and it kills me.

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dude, he's already established as a football genius.

many people were waiting for him to fail with Cassel, and he still turns in an 11-5 season. Against tougher teams than we faced as well.

8. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They have had draft issues recently though. His ability to engineer trades and to coach are awesome, his talent judgement isnt perfect though. I have to also say, Ive never seen a team catch as many breaks as the Pats.
    Really, the entire city of Boston recently. Its like one of those massive domino patterns just falling in a crazily complex way. We keep waiting for someone to remove the one domino that stops the train, but it just wont happen.

9. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Agreed.

I think he's able to trade down and trade for next year's picks successfully because he doesn't reach for a need or a player he "loves". Teams trade up because they target a specific guy. He doesnt do that. His teams usually don't have glaring needs that MUST be filled. So the rich gets richer. I hate him too, but I respect him.

cnc66 and charlestonphan like this.
  10. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    How many of those 12 picks make his roster? Less than half? Half?

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  11. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    How to accumulate extra picks in every draft for dummies.

Step 1: Trade down from 1st round for extra picks.

Step 2: Trade those extra picks for higher future picks.

Step 3: Laugh and walk away.

Step 4: Wait one year then repeat steps 1-3.

SICK, New Era and Clark Kent like this.
  12. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Not that we needed a constant reminder that he is the best football mind in the game today. If he was a chess player, I would let any computer play vs. him. Then we might win...

He really is a great football minded guy. He sees things that others don't on a regular basis. I know he cheated...but he is the best in the business...sorry TUNA.

13. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    I knew I should have read your book first. I read Rick Speilmans and thought it might work...

Step 1: Trade 2nd round picks for 3rd string QB's. That's where teams hide their really good QB's.

Step 2: Trade DE's in their prime away for aging WR's and 3rd down scat backs that won't last a season.

Step 3: Get the local paper to find work.

Step 4: Convince your next team, that it was not your fault.

Step 5: Repeat the process over and over until you get FIRED!!!

Gotta be honest here...your's sounds a lot better to me. :lol::lol::lol:

His had 5 steps...so I thought it would be better.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    If you cannot have the best... You can always be happy with #2.

In Tuna We Trust...

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    he actually hasnt done too much damage in minny.

16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yet

UCF FINatic likes this.
  17. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Exactly

18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Love him or hate him, he's a genius. Pure and simple.

19. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    a guy can be an utter jerk and also extremely talented at what he does, Bill Belichick is the textbook example of that.

20. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well we beat them last year we can do it again.

21. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It would feel even better to do it this year for the following reasons:

1) Brady is back: no excuses
    2) They can't say they were ambushed by the Wildcat
    3) If JT signs with them, I will want to beat them worse than ever.

22. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    hitler and manson were also "called" genius's for what they did.
    Am I comparing him to them? No, not really, I think he's been lucky and knows how to cheat better than most.

23. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I think Belichick is a good coach but more importantly he's a lucky pos. QB's like Tom Brady are special and Belichick and the Pats are lucky to have him. In 2007 with Brady they went 16-0 in the regular season. Without Brady they went 11-5. Now I'm sure thats not all down to Tom Brady but the Patriots are MUCH better when he's there. It's easy to look like a genius when you have a HOF QB.

I think this shows how important it is for our defense to get on Brady. They don't have Matt Cassel anymore so Brady is their offense. Our guys have to sack him, hurry him and harass him. The QB is important to every team but Tom Brady makes good coaches look great.

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Exactly, I am a big JT fan but if he signs with NE hes the enemy no doubt about it. I think we will do well against them this year, I think we match up very well against them. Hopefully we can make it so they are watching the playoffs on TV again.

cnc66 likes this.
  25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Whose the one that drafted Tom Brady?

Bill Belichick. :up:

I dislike him as much as the next guy but I have respect for what he's done - aside from the SpyGate issue. He's a dam good talent evaluator and an even better head coach.

26. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I think he can do this largely because his team is so full of talent that he doesn't need any one player badly, any one position badly, etc. So he can afford to trade down and deal picks, whereas a team like Miami needs every pick it can get. It doesn't take away from him being great at drafting (because that's how he has a talented team in the first place) but it makes it understandable.

anlgp likes this.
  27. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He is also an established cheater too. The point I was trying to make is we shouldnt be kissing his bean bag because it looks good on paper.

Agua likes this.
  28. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

this is exactly why. that and other teams happen to trade him second rounders like they're going out of style :confused2:

29. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    To be honest Id say hes at best above average evaluating talent. His last few drafts have been so-so in terms of players still playing and starting for the team. Hes also had some FA busts. He lucked out on Brady (nobody can say they thought he was a HoF when he was drafted). He totally lucked out on other things such as the tuck rule, the Moss trade etc. Half a dozen incidents go the other way and the Pats are just also rans.
    Hes a superior and HoF coach, but anyone thinking luck hasnt played a huge factor for that team is crazy.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I just saw this. Somehow.

I think he has few flaws when it comes to talent evaluation. Everyone does. He struggles with the drafting of wide receivers I believe. And I don't think he lucked out on Brady. I still think that Brady is a product of Bill's system than the other way around. Bill put in a very effective system and is an excellent game planner. The guy's been learning how to read defenses since the age of eight, there's a reason he's so damn smart and so effective on Sunday's. I also don't think the addition of Randy Moss was luck. He got him for a fourth rounder, which any team could have done the same if they were willing to part with their fourth round draft choice and willing to take on Moss' ego. He's like the Jose Mourinho of football.

I'm not going to argue if he's had luck or not because I think everyone has a bit of luck when they have success, like the tuck rule that you noted. However I think it would be unfair to say that he's had success because he's "lucky".

Bpk and late again like this.
  31. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That team has been luckier than any other in the NFL this decade. That said, Bellicheck is a HoF coach who has capitalized pretty much every time he was given an opportunity. He is a topflight coach, and a 1st ballot Hall guy unless they dig up even more quantifiable cheating, but I think some people praise him as the be all end all of coaching which I disagree with.

32. Bpk

Their luck runs out November 8th, 2009.

dolphindebby and cnc66 like this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly. I don't keep up with something like that mainly because I haven't watched football that long and because I refuse to believe a team can win multiple Super Bowl's with luck. I simply believe that doesn't happen.

Completely agree there.

Well I think he deserves the right to be praised because of what he's done. He's had success just about everywhere, even in Cleveland he had them in the playoffs one year. I question that he should be mentioned in the same breath as the Vince Lombardi's, though.

I'll say this though, for all the questionable praise that some give him, I think it goes both ways with the hate that he gets from others, especially when it comes down to a conversation about his success with the Patriots and his (lack of) success with the Browns.

34. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Let's not give him too much credit for drafting Brady. He passed on him 5 times like the rest of the league and took him right about where most people had him slotted. Of course that doesn't mean the guy isn't a genius because he is, but I don't think people should kiss his feet because he drafted Brady where he did.

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not giving him credit for drafting him. My post was kind of a smart *** post, which I apologize for to the original poster. What I am praising Bill for is developing the offense around Tom Brady and making him successful despite what others may have thought.

sports24/7 likes this.
  36. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The way to defeat a well coached team is simple, in fact since Bronoo Nagurski steamrolled guys before cracking the brick walls in Wrigley Field when football used to be played.

The other team...manhandles them, they punch them in the mouth over and over and over again, all the schemes in the world do not make up for increased physicality.

Bpk likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What do you exactly mean by that? Are you saying that technique and quickness can be beaten by pure physicality?

38. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    It's a saying and belief within the game. That mantra has been used by BB twice to win SB's. Once against Buffalo and against the Rams. Yeah, we'll give up yards to your athletes and scheme, but can you take the punishment we'll inflict upon you for doing so. It's a battle of wills in many ways, and it is an age old defense against a better schemed and more talented roster.

Another way to look at it may be this way "nobody's pretty when they've had the **** knocked out of them". - Brian Gelzheiser (former teammate at ILB) :lol:

It's used in all sports. Look at the Lakers vs Pistons a few years ago, Detroit was the more physical team despite the Lakers having Shaq......what happened. Last year even when the Lakers played Boston, Boston beat the crap out of them physically.

Bpk, alen1 and anlgp like this.
  39. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    only on a Dolphins board to you have close to a debate over whether or not Bill Belicheck is a genius coach or not

they've redefined greatness in the salary cap era. he's easily a HOF coach, maybe the best ever to walk a sideline.

And he's done exactly what he's supposed to do, which is take one of the best QBs in the game, and win multiple SBs. Shula couldn't do that

it really sucks we're in the same division as them

40. Bpk

Yup. It's about schemes, plans and sophistication losing out to brute physical superiority.

The famous Mike Tyson quote sums it up best: “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.”