1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bengals@Dolphins game thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This game very much followed the same pattern as the last couple. The Dolphins look like the better team by a significant margin for a section of the game, and then give it away through a series of implausible big plays, bad refereeing, 3rd down ineptitude, capped by a late game sack cycle. Only they won this time. I'm not sure this represents a shift in fortunes as much as probabilities evening out.

Ryan Tannehill played a pretty solid game. In the grand scheme of things, I'm happy with pretty solid when it breaks a cycle of poor play. He threw a couple of questionable passes, but he also lead a pretty good game tying score and we didn't see the Tannehill Death Cycle of the last couple weeks either. Bad pocket presence was at a minimum as well.

Lamar Miller is a guy I think could be pretty special if he were handled better. A better run scheme and dedication to running it and I think he could potentially be a premiere back. The last couple weeks his outside rushes have been excellent- He extends the play almost completely to the sidelines to the point you're expecting a minimal gain, and he turns the corner for a 10-yard gain sometimes untouched.

Michael Egnew is a pretty solid fullback.

I'd like to see Charles Clay get some chances to rush the ball outside of short yardage, because he looked pretty good doing it. He was a > 5.0 yard rusher in college, and you can very much get a package advantage by having him as the single back in pass-oriented formations. Doesn't hurt that he might be the best pass blocker on the team.

It's nice to see Mike Walilace have a solid game where he doesn't **** up badly. He even caught > 50% of his targets.

What was the pass interference call on Hartline? We didn't see a replay at the game.

The offensive line played pretty well this week, in both phases. Nate Garner generally isn't very good off the bench, but had a good game spelling Incognito as well. Bryant McKinnie has been a pleasant surprise as well.

Cameron Wake may not be here as long, and won't end up meaning as much to Dolphins fans, but I think there's a good argument he's more dominant than Jason Taylor was in his prime.

I'm a little bit unsure how to take the play of Randy Starks and Paul Soliai. They're playing the best football of their careers. They are doing so in a contract year, which is kind of suspicious, but both players have been in the same situation before and not responded this way.

Olivier Vernon is the most improved player no one is talking about.

I'd like to see all of the linebackers playing well at once. It seems like it's just one at a time while the other two aren't great. This week Ellerbe is excellent in coverage, while Wheeler struggles.

Brent Grimes will be remembered for the long interception, but he had a pretty godawful game in terms of missed tackles. He had what, five? Did he have two on the Bernard run?

If Dmitri Patterson could stay on the field, he'd be a huge boon to this team. The guy is tied for the league lead in interceptions and has played in 33% of the defensive snaps this year.

Reshad Jones continues having a very mixed season.

I'm not sure Sturgis really represents a notable upgrade over Dan Carpenter, at this point.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I still say if Grimes pick didn't go for 6, the defense would have looked better in the 3rd quarter, since they were gassed being out there so long.

The call on Hartline was as bogus as every other bogus call on us this year. Just one more travesty of officiating.

I'd like to see Charles Clay get to rush ALL short yardage runs instead of Miller, Thomas or passing.

I think Sturgis had the yips. I think once he's past them, he'll be better than Carp.

xphinfanx and gunn34 like this.
  3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Great summary, as always.

The Brian Hartline interference was an instance where Hartline got a little handsy but he was nowhere near taking Jones out of the play, it looked like a typical receiver/corner hand battle and he got called for it. What's frustrating for a Dolphins fan is you see an egregious push-off from Aaron Dobson to Dimitri Patterson last week and nothing gets called. You see Jimmy Wilson going for a pick on the Gronkowski throw and that gets called, fast forward a week, Jones is riding Hartline like he's breaking a mustang and nothing gets called. Where's the consistency with these calls?

maynard and xphinfanx like this.
  4. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    My responses in bold.

MrClean, GMJohnson and Disgustipate like this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Grimes had more good plays then bad ones. He gassed twice on the one run, but balled out the rest of the time. I hope we sign him before the season ends.

xphinfanx likes this.
  6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Grimes wasn't brought here to tackle. He did make a few tackles at some crucial stages. His effort last night was amazing. You could see how much he wanted to win. Wake is the same type of player.

The most disappointing player last night was Wheeler. He's the one you expect to make the tackle in the backfield, not Grimes.

Hartline got screwed twice. He was also interfered with and didn't get the call.

Ohio Fanatic and xphinfanx like this.
  7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think clemons has been pretty solid this year.
    Did pacman jones have pictures of the refs naked zebra party? WTF first he gets the call for the small pushoff then he gets the no call for the raping of hartline. At least I thought both of those plays involved him.

Finfangirl and xphinfanx like this.
  8. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Egnew's run blocking was pretty good. There was one play where he drove a linebacker from the numbers o out of bounds, effectively playing to the end of the whistle. It's nice to see him on the field, hopefully he can be worked into the passing game soon enough.

Hartline's OPI was bogus. We saw DBs slipping on the field all night. When Pac-Man slipped it was right after contact with Hartline during his break, so it looked worse than it was. I wish Hartline was strong enough to toss DB's around like that.

9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    If we could just call the game over at half time these last two games we would have a good looking team.
    The second half has just looked like a different team the D needs a real chance to breath a few first downs would really help.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I really liked what I saw out of Miller. That's what I hoped to see from him all year. I never expected him to be a bell cow, but I thought he could be that 15 carry guy that had a high average and fewer tackles for loss than we had with Bush. I don't think he was stuffed behind the line except for those few plays where we tried to run the zone stretch in the second half. I really wish they'd burn that part of the play book.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    People keep talking about Dion Jordan's lack of snaps, and it's a valid discussion, but Olivier Vernon deserves to be on the field too. PFF gave him a +2.9 rating with 5 hurries last night and he was a bit banged up. Mike Mayock was giving him a lot of love. He's vastly improved.

We have so many guys on that line that can do so many good things and that's what is most important, not snap counts. Rotating all these guys also keeps them fresh in crunch time and it paid off last night.

What a great win. I'm still on cloud 9.

Mainge, maynard, GMJohnson and 3 others like this.
  12. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think Clemons may be the brains of the secondary. Multiple times I noticed him putting Jones in the right position.

Dolfan330 and Mainge like this.
  13. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I feel like Clemons has been a much improved player this year.

Dolfan330 and Nappy Roots like this.
  14. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Since he's been the start even his first season he was making calls back there.

15. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Man i could feel Sturgis' butterflies through the tv screen at the end of regulation. He's a young dude, he needed that one to go through so lets hope its all uphill from here.

The Rev and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  16. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Most notably on the safety.

17. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, I haven't talked about Sturgis, but that kid came up HUGE. I think it was pretty obvious his confidence was shaken, yet he pulled himself together to nail what is up to date the biggest kick of his career.

18. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    AND he plays on special teams.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Credit to the coaches for sticking with this even after those outside plays weren't working too well for a while.

20. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Good point. I saw that he played over 100 snaps last night. Insane.

21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'm not saying he's as good as Aldon Smith but the Niners found ways to get Smith in the game his rookie year with 0 starts. Dion Jordan has to get some snaps somehow.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't think its a matter of "finding a way". I think this staff is hesitant to start rookies....especially when the spot is already adequately filled.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That Tannehill to Hartline pass on the last drive was so sick. Protection held up, Tannehill threw a dime and Hartline continues to be a magician with his feet on the sidelines. Really happy for Tannehill. He's taken so much heat the past few weeks and he came up HUGE last night. Clutch.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't think we can. Seems like I read there is some rule of free agency, when you sign a UFA to a 1 yr deal, you cannot extend or resign him until the next new league year starts.

25. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Patterson, when he plays, looks great, imo, maybe our best DB. Close coverages when he presses and on slants, makes nice breaks on balls, he doesn't seem too bad at tackling, and he's had an instinct for the ball. His INT last night was really good, but it didn't match the degree of difficulty of the two he had in the Cleveland game. But then, he went down again last night, and all of a sudden RJ Stanford is manning the right CB spot. That's a drop-off. For whatever reason, Patterson just seems like a guy that cannot stay on the field. While I think he can be pretty top notch on the field, he's not a guy I can believe in long-term.

Here's hoping he can for the stretch run, though, because we're a better team with him out there. In fact, we have really good corners when Patterson and Grimes are both out there. (Last night, with Patterson's INT before halftime and Grimes pick-six, those two guys basically accounted for 10 of our 20 points in regulation.)

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  26. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

when they showed him walking on the sidelines after that he looked as if maybe he had a finger poked in his eye or something. Just a guess, but he was doing wonky things with his eye. hopefully minor

Finrunner likes this.
  27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I've read a few comments in other threads how all our linebackers stunk last night, and that is really untrue.
    Ellerbe had by far his best game of the season, especially in coverage.
    Thrown at 7 times, allowed 3 catches, for 15 yards, 3 passes defensed, and the one int. QB rating is 10.7. That is a good day's work by any measure.

Rocky Raccoon, Dolfan330, evz and 3 others like this.
  28. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    He didn't get any sacks or TFLs. Must mean he sucks. :shifty:

29. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    But I feel like he didn't play well. Isn't that worth something?

Jaj likes this.
  30. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The deep ball to Wallace in overtime (that resulted in desperation PI against CIN DB) was the first time all season that Tannehill finally threw the ball further than the point where Wallace was....and instead actually where he would end up with his speed. I hope to see more of that....throw it farther then he is, and let Wallace speed catch up to the ball. Without that PI it was a TD in stride for sure.

Rocky Raccoon, btfu149 and MikeHoncho like this.
  31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's hard for me to explain but I feel like I know when a kicker gets in a slump..remember when he missed the first kick I believe it was a 58 yarder, I saw him try to kick it too hard and he came out of his rhythm, I think thats the last thing he remembers when he lines up for the next pressure kick, and it goes away when the kicker finally trusts his swing and hits it pure, kinda like the stroke he put on that clutch 46 yarder to tie the game...I kind of relate it to the golf swing, if you do something forced and out of rhythm, you might lose your feel and swing for a bit...he should be good to go now.

32. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Not if your name is Stevie Wonder.

33. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I got worried when i saw Stanford out on the perimeter. What does Jamar Taylor have to do to beat out Stanford? Seriously.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  34. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Whatever it is, Dion Jordan probably has to do the same thing to get a few more snaps from Vernon.

35. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Olivier Vernon just turned 23 , I liked him a lot coming out , and like him as he is getting some experience at a very young age. He makes plays around the line of scrimmage , said it when we drafted him , defended him when he was criticized , he was a very young draft pick , and his best days are still ahead of him , he is a football player imo.

FanMarino, MrClean and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  36. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Dmitri Patterson changes the defense, the dude NEEDS to stay in one piece.