1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ drive replacement

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Clipse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to replace a faulty BenQ drive with a new one? Been looking all over. From what I've read you can't just take the DVD drive out and put a new one in, you need to do some flashing. Unfortunately I'm a noob and know nothing about flashing.

2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    With a BenQ it's super simple as long as you have the proper SATA chipset on your motherboard. I bought a $13 PCI card to do it. It's as simple as connecting it and running your favorite Drive hack app into pulling the key. Then flashing it on the new drive. While you're there, you might as well flash it to play backed up games ;)

Clipse likes this.
  3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'd prefer if you spoke to me in English :lol:

How do I know if I have the proper SATA chipset? Drive hack app? Not trying to hack my system, just replace a broken BenQ, with a new BenQ, to fix my open tray error. From what I read the DVD Drive is "married" to my system. What I'm confused about is how to "Marry" my new drive to my system.

4. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Would it be possible to just take the whole motherboard off my old drive, and install it onto the new drive? Or would it be easier to flash?

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Another thing, the motor next to the laser barely spins at all. Think that may have something to with my open tray error? I'm pretty sure that motor is supposed to spin.

6. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No offense to you, but if that's jibberish to you then you probably should not try to do this yourself :)

Here's how it works. Your 360 has a secret code assigned to it. This code allows it to talk to the other parts on the 360. This includes the drive. You would hook your drive up to a PC via a SATA cable and use a special program to pull the secret code off of the dvd drive. Then on the new BenQ drive, you'd use the same tool to put the code into it. Thus making the 360 think it's the same drive installed.

That being said, I recommend you buy the drive then offer a 360 "guru" $20 to swap drives for you. If you're lucky he'll do an entire mod job while swapping it out for you for pretty cheap. I'm sure on Craigslist you can find someone in your area offering to mod your 360 for $30-$50. These guys all should have the know-how to do this. Call em and see what he says.

Hope this helps.

Clipse likes this.
  7. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Ahh I see. Looks look I'll need to buy a SATA cable then. Would this be easier than just replacing motherboards? Also heard I'd need to replace the firmware as well?

8. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Wow. Now my Controller seems to have broke. Just blinks and doesn't do anything...

9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    After using Craigslist, just going to call some of these folks tomorrow and see if they're willing to swap out the drive for me. Thanks for the help though. Too bad I'm such a noob and don't understand none of this "flash" talk :no:

10. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Educate yourself, brother. You got a console you want to find stuff out about? Google that console's name followed by the word "scene" and you're in business.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Forums are a beautiful thing. This is how I learned.

Clipse likes this.
  11. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, this is the safest route. Flashing a 360 isnt hard... Especially on a BenQ. But have to have some sort of knowledge in the world of computer insides.

Clipse likes this.
  12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. In this instance, instead of flashing, I just swapped the PCB board of my old drive onto my new one. Luckily I have experience in this type of thing, so knew what I was doing as far as soldering goes. Open tray error firxed. Though I have to wonder if I could've gotten away with just buying a motor as the one on my old drive would barely even spin.

That being said, couldn't wait to finally play my 360 again. But... Now my controller won't even work :no: Just blinks, and blinks some more, and blinks some more... Tried syncing a million times, tried unplugging the power cord, tried plug and play. My controller seems to read my 360, as I can turn on the 360 by pressing the guide button on the controller, but the 360 doesn't seem to want to read the controller. I'm thinking maybe faulty RF board, but since it won't even connect with the plug and play, not sure.

13. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you have the worst 360 luck ever...

You'll RRoD as soon as you fix the controller.

Clipse likes this.
  14. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Wouldn't surprise me.

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So Mor, you're saying it's not as easy as taking the DVD drive out of my (banned) console and putting that drive in place of a drive on a different console that has a bad laser (I think it is just a bad laser)?

I have to get some damn code. Fuq.

16. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    With a BenQ, it's SOOOOOO easy man. Dont worry

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not sure what either drive is. When I get around to it (I'm in no rush), I'll PM you. :up:

18. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    if it's Samsung or BenQ, hooray... Simple.

If it's a LiteOn (especially the new LiteOns) you're F'd unless you buy some special tools

19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Well, fixed my controller... Was on Amazon about to place an order on a new RF board and a new power supply, when I decided to unplug the 360 out the wall and put it in a different socket. Works like a charm now. Weird.