1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Defensive Line In The NFL?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I think you could make an argument that we have the best D-line in the league.

Today these beasts dominated.

6 sacks
    28 hurries
    18 hits (depending on your source)

47 rushing yards allowed.

2 Forced Fumbles including a strip sack.

A bunch of tipped passes leading to incompletions and INTs.

And a bunch of penalties costing the Browns a lot of yards, including lots of key first downs and even a TD off the scoreboard. Soliai was overwhelming Cousins to the point where Cousins drew, I think, three penalty flags trying to deal with him.

This is a CRAZY dominant D line. Wake, Starks, Odrick, Shelby, Soliai, Jordan all showing up big time. The linebackers also getting to mop up Weeden when the D-line was keeping his blockers busy.

Is this the best defensive line in the NFL?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    More than 18 knockdowns by the end I believe.

Bpk likes this.
  3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Soliai wants that money! dude was ballin inside today.

wtf is with cameron wake. he is just an animal. You can't overstate it. You cant over sell him. You cannot, within the english dictionary, define his burst. it is godly. like a lion pursuing a wildebeest. He's majestic yet powerful. I...idk hes really good.

4. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    If our defensive line is the best in the Nfl, how does this Offensive line rank, did we get around 10 yards of rushing?

jw3102 likes this.
  5. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    The defense as a whole looks dominant. With all that pressure by the d-line, secondary is gonna see a lot of forced, rushed, tipped and inaccurate throws. Just like today. They just need to pay attention and catch balls.

That was impressive today.

Phyl likes this.
  6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes. Without a doubt.

Bpk likes this.
  7. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It was an outstanding defensive effort today, especially by the defensive line. Of course we all knew going into the season that the defensive line was one of the top units in the entire NFL.

My concern remains the OL and the RB's. The Browns are a solid defense, but the OL had trouble all day opening any holes for the running backs. It appears this team is only going to go as far as the passing of Tannehill and the defense will take it.

Hopefully the OL will come together over the next few weeks because rushing for less than 30 yards a game isn't going to get it done over the course of an entire season.

Bumrush likes this.
  8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Watch how the Browns play next week and it will truly show you how much we physically beat them up.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Cameron Wake is unfair. Bunch of savages on this defensive line.

Bpk likes this.
  10. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Anyone have a GIF of Wake's bullrush on that blocking RB? That was hilarious.

Pariah and mbsinmisc like this.
  11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The run blocking did suck, but you still have to credit the Browns DLine with the run defense as well. That wasn't safeties coming up to assist as Wallace kept them honest. Hoping Watkins will be an upgrade over Jerry going forward.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    There's a legitimate argument that they are. Not even sure who's comparable right now. The run blocking made the Browns look like they were on our level. The DL being so damn great is exciting because it makes everyone else's jobs so much easier.

I also loved how ball hawking we were. Looked like we were going for takeaways a lot which is nice to see. A lot more focus on big plays, which just makes for more entertaining football.

13. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Niners have a damn good d-line too.

14. Bpk

Well, the 49ers line is amazing, and they added Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier in the draft, both amazing pass rushing prospects.

15. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    As I posted in the game thread. Blocking Wake with a back?

[​IMG]

Sumlit likes this.
  16. Bpk

Exactly!

By the end of this season, though, I think ours will prove more dominant.

17. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Exciting to see Dion Jordan get the pressure and incidental facemask on his first play. If Weeden hadn't tucked his chin as he cowered that would have been a sack for DJordan on his first ever pro play. Really looking forward too seeing him when he is completely healthy. Gonna bolster an already impressive defense (apart from Wilson).

18. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Top 5 D overall..wait till the rookie CB's start to play..
    We should lockup Grimes long term by the midway point.

Bpk likes this.
  19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    they are top 5, but if they're truly the top Dline in the league, we'll see their impact these next four tough games.

BlameItOnTheHenne, mbsinmisc and Bpk like this.
  20. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I absolutely agree, BPK, but it kills me to know on O we had only 20 yards rushing.
    It's gonna take a lot more D from us to compensate for the rushing deficiencies.

21. Bpk

Time for me to go look up the stats for the Trent Dilfer Ravens season.

22. Bpk

Hm. That team ran heavily and passed by necissity only sometimes. Our team is pass first.

This is gonna really come down to Tannehill's TD-INT ratio and our defensive takeaways.

To win a Superbowl as a dominant defensive team with a so-so offense, you need to have far fewer offensive turnovers than defensive takeaways.

The 2000 Ravens were +23 on turnovers for the season.

On our current pace we would end up +32.

23. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I think the Browns OL is better than the next 4 opponents but we face better QB's. Should be interesting to watch.

HULKFish and Bpk like this.
  24. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Anyone find a gif of Misi destroying Weeden on that untouched blitz? Layed the wood on poor Brandon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

HULKFish, Stitches and Bpk like this.
  25. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I love how people use a thread that is clearly about the DEFENSIVE line to complain about the offensive line. Trolls...:pity:

Forget Sharknado...It's WAKENADO!!!

26. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Maybe Geno Atkins.

27. mbsinmisc

mbsinmisc Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Murrells Inlet SC
    I'll bet Brandon Weeden feels 30 years old tomorrow.

Bpk and Pariah like this.
  28. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

And along with that, there was some quality special teams coverage (I almost lump ST in with the D most times). Those 2 phases were wins, 'twas why I predicted 23-13 with stellar D play, good ST play, and average O play. I think it panned out just like that...only because the passing game was on fire and the run game was...did we have a run game?

Edit: I'm gonna get out there early and call a 27-16 win over the Dolts next week.

Bpk likes this.
  29. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I'm feeling, at the very minimum, #1 red zone defense again. If last years team did it, I think it should be money this year.

Man what a freaking game by the defense, i'm LOVING it.

30. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Before today I would have called you nuts, and I still think its a bit of a bold prediction, but the colts got pretty beat up today at home... by the freakin' raiders no less

Bpk likes this.
  31. darefugee

darefugee Active Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    I love our guys, but will reserve my answer until I see how many points Drew Brees hangs on us. And Matty Ice. And Brady, and Roethlisberger. If we do good against those boys, we're awfully d**n good.

32. Bpk

I wouldn't want to be hit ONCE by an NFL lineman. Weeden absorbed around 25 of those hits.

Stitches and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  33. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pretty sure they were the best defensive line in Week 1, at least.

Although it helps that the Browns threw like 64 pass plays in one week of football.

The more sh-t changes for Brandon Weeden, the more it stays the same.

Bpk likes this.
  34. Bpk

Not to derail my own thread, but does anyone know how many times Ryan was hit (including sacks) compared to his avg per game last year?

35. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Ya... He looked physically beat up after his last drive. Walked to the sideline and just kind of slumped over by Chud. Have tip the hat for taking that many shots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

36. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    It's up there. Helps to have good secondary play too.

37. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    LOL...slow down there skippy, thats like me throwing a strike in the first frame and screaming I'm on pace for 300. Neither is happening. :tongue2:

38. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think there is a case to be made here that we are number one DL. It's early still but I do feel we have a champpionship caliber Defense and the all stars of our defense are our D linemen. And its not only our starters but our depth as well.

Bpk likes this.
  39. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Who was #75 for the Browns, yesterday?
    Damn, did he get his *** whooped and then some. I almost felt bad for him....

I can only hope with all the hoopla going on with Paul and Randy, we continue to dominate and get past the personal issues soon.

40. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think we have the second best defense behind the 49ers. Difference between ours and their defense is Patrick Willis. But every other piece, we have just as good of pieces around our MLB other than Willis. Next year I expect Dion to be our Aldon Smith.

Bpk likes this.