1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best/Fav Console?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Stitches, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, at work today I got into an argument with a guy because he said the N64 was the best system ever. I started listing off numerous reasons why it could not be the best.

So I will ask you all, what is your favorite system? And then what do you think is the best system?

My favorite is probably either the SNES or 360, though I do think the PS3 is the best system (due to versatility).

2. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The N64 did do alot for gaming, it was huge for its time.

I was a huge Dreamcast fan, but I would say the PS3 is my fav.

Although the PS2 is still the king of gaming IMO.

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    To me both the favorite and best has to be the Sega Dreamcast. The system to me is the last great innovative gaming console (I consider the Wii as not a "true" gaming console but more of a peripheral like dance dance revolution since people buy it for the motion detection gaming not the games and no I'm not disrespecting the Wii). First of all the VMU is something that no other console has used or even thought of and the Dreamcast introduced online play to the console world. The Dreamcast was all about the games which I fault the PS3 and 360 for leaving behind (its about an all around system).

The games on the Dreamcast were innovative and fun such as Jet Set/Grind Radio, Shenmue, Power Stone, etc. The Dreamcast wasn't without faults (no reset button) but to me its the greatest gaming console of all time.

Clark Kent likes this.
  4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I never had a dreamcast so I have no opinion, I will say I loved my saturn which had similar software problems.

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    With certain PS3s you can play ps2 games though. :wink2:

And I never said the 64 wasn't huge for it's time I just don't think it is the best system (bad controllers, cartridges, no online, etc).

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    The first playstation and the gameboy.....

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Used to love Dreamcast because I got it for free and had awesome games. My favorite overall is probably ps2 because I don't own a ps3 or XBOX. Although I've played XBOX and don't like it to much for the sole reason of their controllers being so big.

8. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Your missing out. :yes:

9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm guessing you only played with "L" controllers?

10. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    And? What's that have to do with anything?

I mean in the history of gaming the most successful system is the PS2, the "King".

As for the N64, that was slightly before the online movement and bad controllers??? Are you kidding? They had the first mainstream analog stick.

11. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Phin-o-rama likes this.
  12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm saying that about the PS3 because it trumps anything the ps2 could do, that's all. I know it has sold the most ever.

And yes it had the analog stick, but I thought the set up was bad and clunky.

13. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Probably the PS2

Right now its the 360. So many great titles.

14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I fully believe the Atari 2600 is the best gaming system of all time. Laugh if you want, make jokes if you must, that was the best ****ing piece of hardware I ever owned.

Besides the fact it had approximately 942462311778 titles, that games were so simple you could teach your baby sister to play if you didnt have anyone else to go against.

I guess nowadays PS3 is my fav. But the AT2600 will always be #1 in my heart :cry:

Ducken likes this.
  15. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    My favorite will always be the next system

Motion and Phin-o-rama like this.
  16. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Ps1 followed close by the genesis..both came close to emulating the arcade games of the era and RE1 on PS1 was as intense as you could get for its day.

17. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Genesis was great. I used to make fun of my friends with the SNES because their version of 'Mortal Kombat' had no blood in it

18. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    PS1, PS2, SNES, N64, 360, and to a certain extent the Genesis, are all excellent machines.

N64 was great for multiple people (best system for local player ever in my opinion).

PS2 had one of the best libraries ever (online play too which I never used)

360 is just fun... but the hardware sucks in terms of reliability.

19. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    PS3 has probably been the best console I've ever had just because of how many things it can do. I use it for something every day. I can't make that claim with any of the other consoles I've owned. PS2 and N64 are tied for second. Great systems and the PS2has been incredibly durable as well.

Sega Genesis and Dreamcast get honorable mention. I thought about NES but that flashing screen crap that always happened when you tried to load a game was too much for me to seriously consider it.

20. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I love the consoles that I've owned: Genesis, PS1, PS2, PS3, X-Box original and 360.

Ducken likes this.
  21. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Most memorable/nostalgic console for me is still the NES, I highly doubt that will ever change either.

Super Nintendo was a more than solid system that allowed us to mostly play the same franchises we already loved from Nintendo with superior graphics. This is probably the first time I can remember the kind frenzy over graphics to the point that still continues on today.

The N64 was amazing when playing with 3 other buddies.

The PS was revolutionary with the whole CD storage, but I wasn't a fan of it's games beyond Resident Evil & Twisted Metal.

I was very happy with my Dreamcast, but equally as saddened by it's eventual demise. I bought mine at launch, so it hurt even worse.

PS2- Best game library ever?

22. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Man that's a tough question, so hard to compare consoles from different eras.

I think I would go with the gameboy and the original X Box. Gameboy was my fist gaming experience and I loved it. Stayed around for a long time and had a very good game library. The original X Box I pretty much loved everything about. IMO it looked exactly like a gaming console should and I liked the controller (always hated the playstation stuff)

I just loved that thing.

Best console overall would probably be the PS3 though due to its Blue Ray ability to go along with its gaming and other features. Most versatile console ever made...... No if they would just change that chip so it can bistream Dolby True HD and DTS MA I would actually consider getting one. :sad:

23. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I'd go with SNES simply because of the time I played it.

Although NES wouldn't be far behind.

Genesis was cool for a few years but then I got the SNES and that basically killed the Genesis for me.

The Panasonic 3DO though (which I still own) is still one of my personal favorites. From Star Control 2, Killing Time, Space Hulk, Wing Commander 3...man I have had fun on that system and still there are games IMHO that might have prettier graphics but I dont enjoy them as much as the 3DO games mentioned.

24. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Sega Dreamcast. They finally get it right, and then they tank and become every other company's *****.

sking29 and Clark Kent like this.
  25. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    n64 is my favorite i grew up on it. same as xbox. so those are my fav

26. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    For me it was the ps1, I remember the jump from Mega Drive to ps1 plugging in Madden and just going wow! (probably the only time with Madden!) I love my 360 now though but roll on the next console!

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just get a receiver that can handle HDMI audio and you won't have to worry about bitstreaming. Optical toslink can't handle uncompressed audio anyways. :up:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  28. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I already do. I have a receiver that has both HDMI and can decode all the audio formats, which is why I want a Blue Ray player that can bitstream everything straight to it so I can get it the raw code instead of having the PS3 read it, down-mix it to PCM and then have my receiver decode that and remix it again.

I figure if I have to pay $400 for a player it had better be able to bitstream. :pointlol:

29. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Sega Genesis was the system that returned me to video gaming....

30. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    SNES. Despite the censorship, the ridiculously bad translations, and various other issues, it's the best overall gaming machine I've ever owned. Games like Chrono Trigger and Lufia 2 remain at the top of their genre, IMO.

The PS1, however, is a VERY close second. It gives the SNES a run for its money in every category, and can actually be considered SNES2 of sorts. Likewise, the PS2 gives the PS1 a serious run for its money as well.

I'd also like to mention the most overrated systems: the NES, the original Gameboy, the Dreamcast, and the Wii.

31. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Blasphemy my dear sir Blasphemy :pity:

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No, it's not. It really is overrated. Half of its good games were PS1 ports.

The best game in the Dreamcast library? Jet Set Radio.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Sorry, those are blasphemy.

Even though the NES was a horribly made console that pretty much broke one everyone, it is the system that is why we have systems. Plus it has a lot of classic games. Best 8 bit system there was even with its very painful controller ;).

I don't see how the original Gameboy can be over rated. It had great games such as Metroid 2, Final Fantasy Legend II and of course Tetris. Plus it is the reason there is a hand held market.

The NES and the Original Gameboy are two of the greatest systems known to man at their time. Better than the mastersystem and the horrible game gear

34. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Agree with SNES. I could play SNES for hours even with the next gen consoles out. The games I aways enjoyed were the Donkey Kong Country series, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Tecmo Super Bowl, and Turtles in Time IV..

35. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    To each their own I guess (just like I haven't ever liked a nintendo system) but I could name several great Dreamcast games.
    Overrated in your book underrated in mine.

I never got to play the mastersystem but always wanted to. As for the game gear yeah it was pretty bad as far as battery life goes but it had some solid games (basically ripoffs of genesis games much like the psp rips off PS2/PS3 titles today but still good). Actually to the truth I still used my game gear still with an AC wall adapter and its my only handheld. Anytime I can talk about the game gear I have to do it. :yes:

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The original Gameboy is overrated because, well, it is. 99% of the games that came out for it were absolutely awful, a joke in every sense of the word. From the awkward Super Mario Land to the extremely primitive RPGs to the horrific NES ports, it was a nightmare all around. It was popular by virtue of the fact that it was cheap and no one ever put up decent competition with it.

The Final Fantasy Legend games were crappy ports of the SaGa games on the NES (never came to the US.) Metroid 2 is the worst game in the series (and after Fusion, that's saying something.) Tetris is available on everything, it's not a plus for the Gameboy.

And let's not forget that the thing hung around for about four years longer than it should have. There is no reason why we had to wait until 2001 for the GB Advance (and 2003 for one with a backlight.)

We're not talking about systems at the time of their release. We're putting each system in context and competition with each other and deciding which one is the best.

DKC2 remains one of the best games I've played. Mario World was a fresh change for the series, and it paved the way for the format seen in Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy. Other great games include Super Metroid (the first fun game, and still the best, in the series), Lufia 1 and 2, Breath of Fire 2, Actraiser, the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma trilogy, Harvest Moon... hell, I can go forever.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  37. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    :no:

Absolute insanity.

The NES completely turned Atari on it's head and pummeled it into the ground endlessly. The SNES was only successful due to the sheer immense popularity of the NES. It is no coincidence that the best selling games from the SNES were sequels to their respective NES franchises, and those that weren't direct sequels still banked off the big names that only were popular due to the NES(Mario Kart).

I have always been a gameplay> graphics guy(not saying I don't enjoy good graphics...) and the SNES did not offer much in terms of gameplay over the NES beyond a couple extra buttons. The slow CPU of the SNES surely had something to do with the relatively stagnant progression in the game play from NES-SNES.

The Gameboy? You are calling the first successful portable gaming system overrated? Man, thats pretty damn funny since both of it's competitors failed miserably by comparison with the Sega GameGear & Atari Lynx. Do you really think the PSP would have ever been made had the Gameboy not sold over 100 Million units? Let's face reality here, portable gaming was started by Nintendo. Sure there were plenty of other portable games out there, but Nintendo reinvented it all and they deserve credit.

How could the Dreamcast be over-rated when it basically only had a cult following? The thing barely sold more than the Sega Saturn and they probably had about the same shelf life & non imported game selection. If anything, the Dreamcast would be a lock for the most under-rated system of all time.

The Wii has raped this supposed "next generation". I can understand your sentiment of it being "overrated" though, as I do see many flaws that cannot be overlooked such as game library/3rd party support as well as having graphics that aren't too much better than their previous console.

Console era wars!:sidelol:

sking29 likes this.
  38. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Mario World = Capitalized only on the popularity of Mario Bros from NES..You talk about that game paving the way for Mario 64 and Galaxy, yet give no credit in the same manner to the original work that was far more successful & popular.

Super Metroid = See above, Disagree completely about first fun game. The original Metroid was great.

That's your opinion which you are entitled to, but people who actually owned a dreamcast felt otherwise.

Here is the best selling games.

sking29 likes this.
  39. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    i would say 360....

though i never owned a nintendo anything other than gameboy and super nes