1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best site ever?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Sep 22, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hey did you know that if you were to Google "thephins.com" it says that it is the fastest growing Miami Dolphins forum site?

Crazy huh? What do you think we should do to keep it the fastest growing forum site?

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Have the Dolphins win some games.

gilv13, McLovin and steeda like this.
  3. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Seriously, It's a great site. Mods do a good job of maintaining a civil atmosphere. We as members should try to maintain things in that regard and keep it a "friendly" environment that is open for discussion by all. I do not care for posts that attack or put down any post in a internet shout down style. We should try to keep that stuff in check no matter how aggravated we all may be.

gunn34, USArmyFinFan, McLovin and 8 others like this.
  4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think we should do nothing. Anyone else remember when this site started, there were a bunch of knowledgeable guys on here, posting informative stuff? Now, most of those guys post mainly in Club, and the mains are on their way to becoming the other site. Getting big is great, I guess, but it brings in alot of garbage, that just gets recycled into new threads everytime a new poster shows up, and wants everyone to hear their "new" thoughts on Tannehill, or whoever.

gunn34, PhinFan1968 and Alex13 like this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    More Fin-O equals better ratings.

jdang307 and bigbry like this.
  6. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    :ban:

j/k....

or am I?

7. steeda

steeda Active Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I love this message board. Kudos to all of the excellent posters and staff for making it happen!

8. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    We really not focused on becoming the biggest site but we are interested in being considered the best site .If you look at our membership you will see a hard core group of Dolphin fans who in one form or another have been together over two decades .Many of us probably spend more time here than with our real friends .

In addition this hard core group are participating in the forum all year long .There is very little dropoff from season to off season.

Utmost in our minds is to keep the respectful and friendly atmosphere of the site.We are not interested in getting more hits or clicks at the cost of sacrificing the quality of the site .

Bpk, gunn34, USArmyFinFan and 20 others like this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good grief, what an ego. :no:

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    e-go

11. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    The path to supremacy lies in how well the folks get along and how much intelligence and effort is put forth in the contributions of each poster.

I came from a forum that I visited for 4-5 years. That forum flowed with hate. Eventually the most valuable posters left and all that was left were the daily ranters and the wise-a$$ jerks who picked fights. There were establish opinions and anyone who didn’t join the extremists was persecuted. Posters were allowed to get really personal and debates often became disputes and that animosity would boil over into other threads.

For the most part, this forum sees less of that which is a testament to the character and intellect of its posters. I’ve disagreed with folks here and wound up agreeing with those same people the very next day on something else. That is a HUGE difference-maker. However, we still see certain topics veer off into 10 pages of nonsense in which 2 small groups are arguing back and forth without attempting to find any common ground. How many times have you heard the following:

Critic: ‘Tannehill is an average QB.’

Apologist: ‘Average QBs don’t throw for 4,000 yards, 66% completions and a 2.25 TD:INT ratio.’

Critic: ‘Those stats reflect a conservative offense that can’t win games. Good QBs win.’

Apologist: ‘Winning is a team stat.’

Critic: ‘Alright, the most important individual stat is YPA and Tannehill sucks at that.’

Apologist: ‘His WRs aren’t helping him out.’

Critic: ‘Nonsense, he’s had ample talent and the stats show that. Tannehill just isn’t delivering reliably.’

Apologist: ‘You can’t deliver reliably when you’re constantly under pressure.’

Critic: ‘You’re constantly under pressure when you don’t move around.’

Apologist: ‘No QB has had to move around as much as Tannehill.’

Critic: ‘Well, if he doesn’t elevate the players around him, he must be an average QB.’

Apologist: ‘Average QBs don’t throw for…’

Here are a few tips off the top of my head that can lead to improved posting:

(1) Try not to debate things which you have debated before.

(2) Try to recognize when arguments can’t be resolved with the available information and be willing to walk away at that point.

(3) Avoid hot topics in which you or someone else has already made your case.

(4) Use the “Thanks” button to avoid posting redundant points of view.

(5) Don’t be a caveman – don't support your first argument with a re-worded version of the same thing!

(6) Contribute an original thread every once in awhile, even if the topic seems stupid.

(7) Do some digging in the stats once in awhile, a surprising stat or revelation will present itself.

(8) Be open to using the "Ignore" feature. Some personalities just don't mix and that's okay.

(9) Recognize that exchanges diverge early. The first quasi-insult either gets ignored or the exchange is doomed.

(10) Go back and read #5 again.

gunn34 and USArmyFinFan like this.
  12. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Ya, I have to hand it to the mods. They're a cut above the absentee ones I've seen on other sites.

13. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    I hate being mushy gushy, not my style at all. But I have been to other sites and they were awful and mods were disrespectful. I have had a couple run in with mods here but they were respectful in telling me to tone it down and im probably a better poster here now then I was when I first came here because I respect the mods here for being imo, excellent mods and I think this site is a tight nit group of posters which is also great imo. This site reigns supreme over the rest.

Its also not a "deadtown" where there is like 5 total posts per day (like a site i visited) and not a forum where its overloaded with a ton of angry, hateful people and over the top homers (like a site I visited). This site is actually pretty balanced in viewpoints and nothing is really too over the top on either side.

jdang307 and resnor like this.
  14. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I've been impressed by this site.

15. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    spend some time in the Lounge.

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I love this site. TONS better than FinHell. If getting bigger means we get FH creep showing, no thanks, but I'd agree our mods are a cut above those guys.

The Club > * If you don't have a membership, I'd personally recommend getting one...it's VERY valuable, 1000x worth the money.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  17. MutinyOnTheBelafonté

MutinyOnTheBelafonté B Squad Leader

Sep 6, 2015
    Davie,Florida
    The mods are a reason I left that dumpster fire of a site. Some were unbelievably moronic and completely unfair. This place doesn't need to be the biggest. Being the best should be enough IMO.

I might actually get myself a membership. Places like this need to stay alive so other Dolfans don't have to be subjected to turd message boards.

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Stop the obvious misogyny. Probably get rid of the POFO.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. So he really means, more Fin-O means LESS ratings, less love, less everything.

20. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You wouldn't believe the stuff that gets shared in there. Amazing stuff not just inside stuff, but great analysis too.

But first you have to prove you are not Armando.