1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better refs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Aug 10, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    As everyone here knows the refs can be very subject to question on play calls at times. Some of the refs are very consistant I should say most of them. Let's rewind to last years game against Pitts. When a ref has access to make the correct call from reviewing a play and they can't get it right why should that ref be in charge of any game? My point here is I believe the NFL should take the time to redo the way they employ and manage the refing.

Like many jobs the best employees should get the top jobs and the better pay.
    NFL should have the financing to employ and manage these job positions to be some of the finest that there is.
    Grade the refs and let their grade dictate the pay scale. If there's a dud in the bunch fire him / her.

I want to see the Dolphins games called correct not lopsided. Enough of this holding for him is ok but you can't do that. Make the same call either way. A ref should see no team colors or logos just call the game.

If this sounds like a rant sorry not my intentions I am looking for others thoughts. The NFL should take the oppertunity to make the refing better.

gandalfin likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, I think it's pretty clear the NFL isn't prioritizing that too much. Right now more realistically I think we should be hoping we're not going to start the year with replacement referees who are by and large unqualified.

Larry Little and Stringer Bell like this.
  3. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I also think it inexcusable that the NFL still has not employed full time refs and is even engaging in a contract dispute with the part time ones. Now we have a bunch of scrubs (no offense to the less experienced, less effective temps that I'm sure are trying) that may end up officiating regular season games in 2012. The NFL talks all the time about the integrity of the game and yet they have the audacity to take this stance? The Commish really needs to show some strength and do something about this travesty. We as fans are going to be the ones to suffer, of course. Good thread!

dolfan32323 likes this.
  4. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Hahaha oh the replacment refs... Watching some games yesterday you could tell how clueless they were. They call an offsides on #96 on one of the teams then the commentators were laughing because #96 wasnt even padded up to play. On another play there was pass interference on brandon marshall, who wears #15 now, and they call it on the defense but say "Pass interference, on the defense, # 15" Needless to say nobody on the defense was #15.

As much as I agree that they should fix how the refs call the games they dont seem to care about that at all right now. I hate the refs ever since that Pittsburgh game though... :tantrum:

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The refs really have a tough job...the best time to hear about a ref and how he is doing his/her job is NOT to hear about them at all... By and large, the regular NFL refs do a much better job than we and the media give them credit for. Face it, the most we've heard about many of the refs is "Wow, that guy has big guns" or "I love the way that guy says 'First Down'!" There are a few incidents each year, but most have really been about gray areas in the rules, not about whether a certain ref called it right...(Megatron catch, Brady rule, etc)...

That may or may not be the case this year with the replacement guys/gals...We'll have to wait and see. The thing is, most of us don't really know what the dispute is at all...is is pay related ?? Is is the league stepping on guys for bad calls ? What is the issue...likely it's pay related and that simply has to work itself out, but this whole thing has really been on the back burners, especially with the Saints cheating issue going on...

steveincolorado likes this.
  6. Larryfinfan

The real question was, was there an offsides and was Marshall guilty of PI...in both cases, the calls were right...missing the number is a real none issue as it pertains to those folks doing their jobs...

7. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I believe its a money issue.

The regular refs could be a lot worse, granted, but lets face it. The NFL is huge, and it's a huge money making machine. It's high time to take steps to ensure that the officiating has the highest standards possible, and full time refs is a way to take a big step in the right direction. The league can certainly afford it.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's pay related. The NFL referees CBA expired and they wanted a raise commiserate with what they got the last time they renegotiated their deal. The NFL wanted to give them less and locked them out.

Meanwhile the NFL hires a bunch of third rate scabs, lies about their credentials, and we still don't have full time referees.

gandalfin likes this.
  9. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'd like to see how many of you could do it? I'm a football official. I don't do college because I don't have the time, but I have officiated 2 of the highest level high school games in my state (Super Bowls). These officials are all 1-AA college guys and girls (Shannon Eastin a 17 year vet is the first female to officiate an NFL game) with years and years of experience. It's easy to sit at home and think you could do a better job. I say go for it. Take the courses, pass the exam and then stand on a field and be responsible for watching, at minimum, 9 guys at one time where on any play there can be 5 things going wrong. Have at it. The NFL isn't getting the highest level of college official because those guys aren't giving up their ACC, Big East or Pac10 schedules on the hopes that the NFL officials will stay out the entire season. Those officials have their schedules cemented months in advance. Hell, I've had an entire high school varsity season set since June. NCAA D1 refs would give up tons of cash and chances at bigger games to be fill in refs for the NFL, it's not worth it to them. So if you THINK you can do better, then by all means get out there and officiate some football. You see how easy it is with 5 coaches running up and down your *** all night trying to get into your head to see if they can take advantage of you, all while calling the game in front of you. It's not as easy as false start and offside. Show some respect.

Larryfinfan and Stringer Bell like this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I do agree that these replacements refs aren't very good.

But, I don't see how full-time refs would be an improvement. I believe that part-time refs opens up the pool to more qualified guys.

Stitches likes this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Intentional grounding number 10 of the offense. After the ball was snapped, the player kicked the ball through the uprights on the far end of the field.... Oh... Wait... The firldgoal is good.

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't have any delusions about my ability to competently be a referee, but I don't see how you can look at the week 1 preseason mistakes that were made and think that it's an acceptable trade-off.

The refereeing was bad. There's a good argument that the replacement referees were not put in a really winnable situation. Most of the criticism has been leveled at the NFL for needing to find replacement referees to begin with. They should not be in this position.

13. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I didn't see anyone post they can do better themself.

Do you think the NFL could afford to make this job worthy for high quality personel? (Refs that don't have to take on a second job)

Could they make a system to reward the better refs?(no they aren't all better)

You seem to have not really read or understand the thread. NFL should be the elite.

No I have no respect for a ref that can stare into a moniter and blow 3 games in one season from being hard headed.
    I respect all the ones that do the best job they can though.

14. Larryfinfan

It was?? Outside of forgetting that he was in Atlanta and a couple of guys missing a number or two...were there any real issues ?? Any controversy ?? I'm not siding on the NFL in this issue. They need to keep the reffing as tight as they can and more than likely can't do it with the replacement folks, but the quality of calls were not what I'd call 'controversial' or 'missed' at all... I'll qualify that with the fact that I've only watched 3 games so far...but I don't see it... If you want to beat up on the NFL for allowing this, that's one thing, but to insinuate the reffing was mistake-infested...??? I haven't seen it Dis...

LandShark13 likes this.
  15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, it was.

http://deadspin.com/5933558/how-bad-were-replacement-refs-last-night-lets-examine-the-video-evidence

16. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    There were some awfull calls last night but these guys are getting a crash course on national tv.

One that stood out to me was a touch back on a kick off. The ball never even reached the endzone. They ended up getting it right.

17. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    The league doesn't need full time officials. It's not like MLB where your working every night. I back the officials, always have and always will. In a league that makes 9 bil a year, then yea, the officials should get paid more. After all, the league wants the officials to do more also.

18. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I'm with you on this one. Each year the refs always go through this replacments or not. Its preseason for them as well.

19. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I think the refs do a good job overall but when they do make a mistake it gets scrutinized a little harder with millions of people watching them screw up a call.I am glad millions of people don't see my mistakes.

steveincolorado likes this.