1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beware of credit/debit card info.....

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by 2socks, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    BEWARE OF CREDIT/DEBIT CARD INFO

I know this is the wrong forum and I expect this to be moved. I put it here so the most people would read it as quick as possible.

You all need to know that many if not all companies you deal with and pay on a regular basis are storing your debit and credit card info regardless of what they tell you.(power company, phone company, cell phone company, Etc)

The biggest problem is that now most of them have sneaked into the fine print the ability to charge your credit card/debit card without your knowledge or approval for any outstanding balance you owe them. It is now part of the terms of agreement that you have agreed to by using their site.

Does not matter whether they have billed you correctly or that you have paid them in full, etc

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    any way to change this?

3. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    do you know how to delete it it won't let me

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im assuming theres a way to contact the merchant and refuse to agree to it, but then you'd have to pay every month manually.

5. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    the easy work around is use your banks bill pay.

I just thought it sh*tty that companies would or could do that to people. I found out about it because of Directv. They billed me for the NHL ticket for 3 months despite over 6 calls asking/then demanding they cancel and credit my account. They refuse and when I canceled their service and went to At&t Uverse, which is awesome, they charged my card for the difference even though I paid them every penny I owed them. I called my bank, no luck so earlier I went and sued them.

6. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Wow, this for real or do you work for at&t? :lol:

7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    No for real. I am self employed. I called in Sept to complain that the NFL ticket had reached $349 for the season and that was the early renewal rate. Of course I was never notified of the new rate up from $299 the year before. Simply billed by Directv. After cancelling the NHL ticket(Sept), I was going to cancel the NFL ticket due to price. I hated to do it......but in this economy........

The agent offered me 1 refund of 65.99(one payment of the 5) and a $20 a month credit for 6 months, making the ticket around $150. For that I kept the ticket. In Oct they billed me and I called......no problem would give credit. Next month comes.....billed again.......called .....no problem would give 2 months credits. Third bill came couple days ago.......billed for third installment.........called and threatened to cancel service......no problem will have all 3 credits within 2 days. That was about 10 days ago..........today went to do some banking and noticed charge on account from directv. I did not authorize nor pay them anything. Went to web site and in bold letters in the middle of the page was the terms of agreement. In the middle of the terms where atalicized letters in red highlighting the payment terms. these are the actual words pasted from the website:

e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.

8. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Use 2 bank accounts and change your debit card every 3 months.