1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Lie: Big Ten

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by DonShula84, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Big Lie: Big Ten - College Football - Rivals.com

2. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Couldn't agree more with JoePa

Line ‘em up and play ‘em

:up:

Stitches and Oboy like this.
  3. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    It's a shame the rest of the conference doesnt see it that way. They have a nice formula (scam) to get one of their teams in the title game though, so I understand why they wouldnt want to mess w/ that.

Oboy likes this.
  4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Penn State will get demolished by an SEC team (Florida/Georgia/Alabama)

I think Texas loses and gets skipped by the Sec champion.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

A one loss Big 12 team is better IMO than a 1 loss SEC team.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ofcourse they would....:pity:

7. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    really? i dont think any team can "demolish" penn state

that better not happen, if texas loses to baylor, kansas or texas a&m. then i think they will get jumped but, if texas beats texas tech i see no way they lose again....i really want texas in the championship game. they are going through a tougher stretch right now than any team in the SEC

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Even if they get by Texas Tech they'll have to play Missouri again in a Championship game. The Big Ten protects its teams too much to avoid any potential late loss that could cost them.

Even if Texas loses to Baylor or Kansas at the end of the year I still think this 4 week stretch they're coming out of, and the Big 12 Champ game should be enough to get them in the title game. I dont know if it will, but it should.

PSU could be a really good team. It's hard to know because their schedule doesnt challenge them.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Big Ten protects their teams?? Ridiculous qoute of the week....I mean was it not the #1 and #2 teams in the country battling it out with the LAST game on their schedule 2 years ago?? Laughable comment.

Penn State has played on the road at Ohio State and in Madison where Wisconsin had only lost once in three years, plus they play at Iowa(top 30) and Michigan State wich is 21st in the BCS..

Maybe not as challenging as a big 12 schedule or even an SEC schedule but certainly no cupcake.

10. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    The article explains it all

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    One sportswriters opinion is all of a sudden a "fact" because you happen to agree with it??

Good philosophy.:knucks:

12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes the SEC has no idea whats its like being in bad shape :rolleyes:

I guess the Big Ten should just sit and twiddle their thumbs because they don't appeal to the masses :(

I wish a playoff would happen but it probably wont the BCS system is flawed. Until then why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

13. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    It's obviously opinion, who stated it was fact? The article is support for the opinion I posted...see how that works?

Way to address the point though. :knucks:

14. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Your conference has continually been one of the road blocks to a playoff system :lol:

Like I said I dont blame them for taking advantage of the system. But it doesnt mean they cant be criticized for it.

Oboy likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I addressed the point in teh previous post....remeber, the one you replied with"this article explains it all"

Back on topic the Big Ten is down right now...yes, but not as bad as some would hope and by no means does the Big ten "avoid" late season risks Ex: OSU vs Michigan

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Hey if I was in charge I would add another team preferably Pitt, or ND (:shifty:-) then have a conference title game. That would fix the Big problem.

Oboy likes this.
  17. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    The lack of a title game is how they avoid risk. They cant change the schedule mid season to avoid playing a good team at the end, so you dont get bonus points for that, sorry.

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Could be argued that PAC-10 is the same way, despite all teams playing each other, only 2 or 3 are worth anything it seems. Just like the Big ten recently.

I'm pretty sure the Big Ten has tried multiple times to add ND too.

19. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    JT believes that a team will be added to the Big Ten within the next 5 years with a split and a conference title game.

20. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    :no:

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Big 12 has high powered offense I seriously doubt a SEC could play defense. I seriously doubt any defense could stop Texas, Oklahoma, TTech, Mizzou.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  22. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I would say the samething about the Pac-10. And ND not joining the Big Ten cant be blamed for how they run their conference. ND isnt joining, they need to get over it and find someone else.

23. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You have the right to your opinion, but others may say they have not played anything worthy of a HS Defense either. So... who is right? We won't know. :no:

Unfortunately until we get a playoff all we (as fans) can do is have our opinions of how one team will fare against another. Two years ago EVERYONE thought OSU was going to DESTROY UF. I also remember most people (myself included on that one) thinking USC was going to Destroy UT when they played. That is one of the fun things about College football.

Now about the Big Ten? Are they taking advantage of the system and their conference being weak? Yes. Do I blame them? Heck no. However, Don is right, if they are going to take advantage of the system they sure as heck can be criticized for it. Not just taking shots at the Big Ten. I think the Pac 10 is doing the same right now.

Personally I think EVERY conference should have a title game. PERIOD. That way it pretty much guarantees at least one tough game on a neutral field.

Motion likes this.
  24. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Who in the SEC has a defense? Certainly not LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida. Notice its the power houses......

We may see a 12th team added in the Big Ten it just wont happen as fast everyone wants it to.

25. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    What is your definition of "Having a defense"???

Florida is 6th in the nation in scoring defense and passing defense.

Alabama is 5th in yards against and 2nd in rushing defense.

South Carolina is 4th in pass defense.

etc.......

Sorry, Try again. :wink2:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortab...table=overall&stat=overallPtsGm&dir=ascending

Themole, HardKoreXXX and Oboy like this.
  26. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Point being a good offense can't be stopped. Don't go by statistics, game isn't played on paper :wink2:

27. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Well if thats the point, that would apply to quite a few teams now wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Bring on the shootouts. :up:

28. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes it would.

They make for entertaining games.

29. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I guess there is no such thing as a good Defense.. :no: Silly me.

30. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Not against a great offense at the collegiate level. I'm sure the Georgia vs Florida game will be a high scoring affair.

31. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What happened to Ohio St.'s offense two years ago against a good D? A good defense ALWAYS stops a good offense my man. Look at the Super Bowl last year.

Oboy likes this.
  32. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    What happened was are biggest threat on offense was out for the game after the Kickoff.

What happened to the supposed best defense that game?

Also don't compare Pro defenses to college. Its hard to find a defense that will dominate every game in college.

33. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Fair enough on the college to Pros point. But lets be honest, it didnt matter of Ginn was in the game or not, OSU had no shot.

Smith was getting hit every time he dropped back to pass and the defense was horrid.

And I, for one, never thought OSU had a good defense. They were ok, nothing special. Thats not a knock against them, more of a knock against the Big 10. The only high-powered offense they played that season was Michigan who put up a decent amount of points.

Point is, you cant compare what teams do within their conferences to that of a national level. The SEC is the dominant conference right now. In a few years it may be a diff conf. but right now SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone Else

Oboy and Fin-Omenal like this.
  34. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    THE SEC has some competition with the Big 12. I don't think there is a team in the SEC that could stop some of those offenses.

Yes but on paper Ohio ST had the best ranked defense going in thats why I said games aren't played on paper.

Your right we still would have lost because Florida dominated the trenches. Ginn probably would have little impact but he was the only playmaker on offense that be a game changer. Smith is a great QB if he gets protection but Ohio St never faced a line like Florida all year.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  35. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The only thing I'll say about the Big 12 is that when they play superior D's they seem to struggle.

How Oklahoma didnt put up 100 against Boise in that Bowl game a couple years ago I'll never know. How they looked so bad aginst WVU is also a mystery.

Is it a Bowl Game thing? Or is the defense in the Big 12 just so bad it makes the offenses look that much better by comparison?

Hawaii last year (I know they're not Big 12) is a perfect example of what happens when teams like that play an SEC team. Hawii's offense smoked people, then they had to play Georgia...

If Texas plays an SEC team and puts up 40 or 50 I'll eat crow, but until then I just think the D's in that conf. could handle those schools. Like you said, its all about the trenches.

36. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think Hawaii could have beat any other opponent that was in a BCS game they just do not have the same amount of talent. I wasn't drinking the Warriors kool aid I knew they were going to get smashed.

Oklahoma is just choking late they could have been in the NCG last year but they blew it.

Well I guess its a waiting game :up:

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Come on, that isn't even a fair comparison.

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Then by comparison you have to say the SEC has enemic offenses because they are traditionally low scoring conference games...

39. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    A lot of teams struggle to score in the SEC. It all goes back to recruiting when you look at it. The SEC has the best athletes by far and that's not even up for disscussion.

How did you like those enemic offenses the last two title games?

40. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    :lol: Interesting, kind of ironic you would make that statement in a thread about the Big Ten. I assume you haven't watched much SEC football lately?