1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest Need for 2009

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Nov 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    What are your thoughts about our biggest need for this year's draft? Here's my priority list:

1. Big Fat NT
    2. Tall WR
    3. OLB to play opposite Porter
    4. ILB
    5. Playmaking Safety

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Safety, play making WR (maybe Crabtree) and Center. We need OLB, CB & NT, too. I think that the mantra for our 1st rd pick should be value, not reach for need.

3. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    CB is a must

#1dolphinsfan and Skeet84 like this.
  4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    DB's that close off a side of the field. A good defensive backfield will make the whole front seven run better.

Remember the days of Madison & Surtain? Those two are the reason why the team registered so many sacks & turnovers because the opposing QB had to hold the ball or try to force it into a second or third option.

FinsPensFan likes this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree, but all things being equal, what's our BIGGEST need?

6. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    True, but both JT and Ogunleye have been pretty dominant without Surtain and Madison. One hand washes the other, my brother.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That's a tough one. There are cases to be made for so many positions- OLB, S, CB, WR. My opinion is that Satele is a major liability at C as things stand right now. I think that we could use a run stuffing, ball hawking safety. I keep thinking William Moore. I think that Alex Mack could do wonders for the OL. And when Donald Thomas is back next year, all the better, less of a need for the Center to be protected by his Guard. In my opinion we need a play making #1 WR, and I don't think that Ginn is the answer.

I'm going to have to defer on answering your question, because not only do I not know, I don't have a firm opinion. I just want to see us not reach in the 1st, hopefully filll a need but veer towards BPA. There will be players available in other rounds, especially with our 2 #2 picks, to address needs like NT and OLB in my opinion.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd have to say CB/SOLB are needs 1a and 1b right now. S, NT, and OL would be 3, 4, and 5.

9. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Right now I believe OLB is going to be the first thing addressed in the draft. We are getting little to no pressure from guys not named Joey Porter and that is unacceptable. Being that Parcells and Ireland, especially Parcells, love LB's I would think that would be our first pick. It would not surprise me to see them pick another one as early as the 2nd round either considering Joey's age and lack of depth. Right now my pipe dream is to be able to pickup Karlos Dansby from Arizona and then pick up Clint Sintim in the first and hope some how that Larry English falls to our first 2nd round pick. After that I think NT and FS/SS would be next highest priority. Corner I see us picking up a free agent or two. We need a big, tough possession receiver. I dont think that gets addressed until about the 4th or so.

10. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    OLB, ILB, NT, WR, OT would be my five biggest priorities. Free safety as well.

People that keep saying CB are really missing the point. We have a guy who for he second year running made CNNSI's midseason All Pro team in Will Allen who is as good a corner as there is in the AFC not called Asomugha. Andre Goodman struggled with injury last year, took 3/4 weeks to find his groove this year and subsequently has been in rare form and Json Allen, out of about 50 snaps, had three bad plays against the best WR in NFL history not called Jerry Rice. He gave up three completions when in absolute blanket coverage, as good as any coverage I've seen in a while. He does a very good job in trail technique down the field. He struggles some at the moment on slants and drags, but he's clearly getting better.

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Boomer, curious, are you a Satele-camp guy? Would you keep him @ Center, or would you move him to Guard? Or cut bait?

12. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Exactly how i feel. We need more pressure from other players besides Joey Porter. More pass rushers would make the secondary a whole lot better.

And i want us to draft Sintim in the first round, English in the second round, and sign Dansby/Scott in FA. This would give us one of the best linebacking cores in the league, and we'd have depth as well.

13. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    That's a hell of an offseason and definitely would love to see it happen. Chances are slim but stranger things have happened. If we could come away with Dansby and Sintim, we would, on paper, have a top ten LB core. Scott is a possibility as long he doesn't want a ton of money but I don't see it happening since the FO is probably going to resign Crowder and have money tied up in Torbor. If we can cut Torbor and replace him with Scott that would be fantastic since Scott is a much better special teamer.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    It's difficult because he played so well last year and has been pretty average this. There was talk of moving him to guard in the offseason but Donald Thomas made such an impression......just re-wind and hear what Kris Jenkins said of him. So it's tough. I think Miami might look to add a guy like Antoine Caldwell of Alabama and see what happens in camp, with regards who wins the job, how Thomas comes back and in terms of overall depth.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Age Boomer, our Defensive Backfield, aside from Jason Allen, is NFL old.

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well I believe we need

ROLB
    NT
    FS
    C
    WR

I believe ROLB is the biggest need not sure what should follow.

17. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

LBer or NT.

18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    LOLB.

Unless you believe Porter to be a liability over Roth.

19. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I am sure we will take at least 1 wr and we need some help (Also get younger) on defense. However our biggest need is a great CB to help this team. Thats our biggest need at this point.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm still going with OLB. The CB's have played well and while they aren't the typical playmakers in the secondary, they feed off of a good pass rush (i.e. NYG). Bring in an rushing outside linebacker opposite of Porter and see how it affects our secondary. The Giants brought in several defensive ends and people thought they were crazy. They're secondary isn't the best in the league, but with that pass rush, they create turnovers.

21. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah however its alot easier to find an OLB who can rush than a shut down corner back. Interceptions can change games around. Besides will already have a good pass rush as it is now. What we dont have is someone who can shut ppl completly down. We need a great corner more than anything.

22. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Look at Dallas last night; they are playing a just returned Newman, Scandrick probably had 40 defensive snaps, Jenkins is out, Adam Jones is out, Henry played some. But I'd argue that our corners are better than the Cowboys ones on show last night. But that front 7 pass rush utterly derailed Seattle because Ware and Spencer and Tank Johnson and Bradie James and Zach and Jay Ratliff got pressure on Matt Hasselbeck on every down. It wasn't just about the sacks, it was the pressure down after down that forced low passes, short passes, overthrows, etc. When you can force a QB to not be able to set his feet, then you've won half the battle. The only way the Giants were going to win that SB was if the front 7 harried Brady every single, solitary play. And they did.

And they won.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Outside of Joey Porter, we haven't had a consistent pass rush. Matt Roth has 3 sacks and I think we need a guy who can provide pressure opposite of Porter. You bring up the interceptions and I think you get those off of a dominant pass rush. I think we need an OLB more than a CB because we have three guys, while not shutdown CB's, that are playing well. Do the Giants have a shutdown CB? If they do, I haven't seen him. They have a group of solid players that feed off a dominant pass rush.

24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

First off I don't know where anyone gets off by saying we need a pass rush and it wins games. I am not saying play with 10 corners and have 1 guy rush. I understand the value of getting to the QB and no one needs to tell me that. All I am saying is that I think a rushing OLB is alot easier to find than finding a Shutdown CB. While not all teams have them you can't tell me that a shut down corner is a true value. Some great WR's have really abused us this year

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Your right that its easier to find a rushing OLB than a shut down CB. However, I think we do need a pass rusher opposite of Porter more than a CB. I think we need that more than a CB because, in my opinion, a dominant pass rush can mask a secondary's weaknesses and it helps create turnovers.

26. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    I think our biggest need by far is OLB

Followed by ILB and FS

A rookie WR will do nothing for us as it takes a while for them to come into their own.I would like to get a vetran WR in FA like Boldin. That would make our WR corps look pretty good to me and not use a draft pick.

NT is a need but its not a pressing need. I can live with what we have for another year or a later day/round pick.

We still have more holes than draft picks and we are going to have to choose what we can live with for another year and draft what we can't live with. OLB , ILB , FS are the ones I would target in the draft the hardest.

27. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    1. OT - this is predicated on if we let vernon go, we have no one to replace him, and whoever does immediately becomes the teams weakest link. none of us want to return to the years of worrying about oline, and thats enough to make it my first priority.

2. NT - If Ferguson goes down, our even if he just gets another year older and another year worse, its the lynchpin of the defense, and if a stud is there, you MUST draft him.

3. OLB - for all the aforementioned reasons in everyone else's posts.

4. ILB - zach thomas.

5. ST - they are god awful. no im not dave wannstadt, but maybe a few late round/FA special teams mavens might be a good idea.

* im not a big advocate on drafting WR. Number one, we drfated ted ginn, we dont need another high round reciever, and two, we know better than anyone that quality WRs go undrafted every year. but the biggest reason, three, is that we need a vet WR, no more youth, we need some experience and consistency more than anything, and then maybe size.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  28. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    everette brown would be nice

29. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    ROUND 1

1) Clint Stintim-Outside Linebacker-Virginia
    2) Everette Brown-Defensive End/ Outside Linebacker-Florida State
    3) Sen’Derrick Marks-Defensive Tackle-Auburn
    4) Malcolm Jenkins-Cornerback-Ohio State
    5) Peria Jerry-Defensive Tackle-Ole Miss
    6) Greg Hardy-Defensive End/ Outside Linebacker-Ole Miss
    7) Vontae Davis-Cornerback-Illinois
    8) William Moore-Safety-Missouri
    9) George Selvie-Defensive End/ Outside Linebacker-South Florida
    10) Demarcus Granger-Defensive Tackle-Oklahoma
    11) Rey Maualuga-Inside Linebacker-USC
    12) Aaron Curry-Outside Linebacker-Wake Forest

ROUND 2

1) BJ Raji-Defensive Tackle-Boston College
    2) Larry English-Defensive End/Outside Linebacker-Northern Illinois
    3) Evander Hood-Defensive Tackle-Missouri
    4) Derrick Williams-Wide Receiver-Penn State
    5) Alex Mack-Center-California
    6) DJ Moore-Cornerback-Vanderbilt
    7) Alex Boone-Right Tackle-Ohio State
    8) Victor Harris-Cornerback-Virginia Tech
    9) Rashard Johnson-Safety-Alabama
    10) Juaquin Iglesias-Wide Receiver-Oklahoma
    11) Terrence Taylor-Defensive Tackle-Michigan
    12) Derek Pegues-Safety-Mississippi State

ROUND 3

1) Antoine Caldwell-Center-Alabama
    2) Dorrell Scott-Defensive Tackle-Clemson
    3) Tyrone McKenzie-Outside Linebacker-South Florida
    4) Domonique Johnson-Cornerback-Jackson State
    5) Kevin Barnes-Cornerback-Maryland
    6) George Hypolite-Defensive Tackle-Colorado
    7) Louis Murphy-Wide Receiver-Florida
    8) Cody Brown-Defensive End/Outside Linebacker-Connecticut
    9) Brian Robiskie-Wide Receiver-Ohio State
    10) Andrew Gardner-Offensive Tackle-Georgia Tech

30. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Top needs?...
    pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.
    Right now Porter has no reliable pass rush help.
    Pressure the QB and our DBs will look like all stars.

ssmiami and alen1 like this.
  31. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    A great CB could give the pass rush extra time to get to the QB. We could do this all day long. Pass rush will not always get there however a Corner (Unless hurt) would always be on the top WR to shut him down.

He would be a great OLB. He is going to be a Star in the NFL. Best player on Florida State

32. calfishman

calfishman Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 27, 2008
    NT just became a bigger need. Solai just got suspendend again.

33. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    we must have CB

34. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    NT is a huge need even with him on the roster. Ferguson only has so much time left, Soliai has done nothing in his two years here, and Randy Starks simply cannot man the nose full-time. The position is important enough--and our need for quality personnel there great enough--that we could address it in the first round.

I'd really like to see next year a rotation of Ferguson, a beast rookie NT, and Randy Starks, with the rookie playing his way to the starting job by this time next year. As Ferguson ages, he'll be best used as a rotational player or in 4-man fronts.

But we also need to address the pass rush. We need someone opposite Porter to take the heat off, and that person is not Matt Roth.

35. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Good point. Jason Allen's been improving but it'd be nice to have another young CB to groom under Will Allen, who's already an 8 year vet. I wouldn't call it the biggest need yet (unless Will decides to go gun-happy again).

My order of preference would go NT, tall WR with decent hands and speed (anything sub 4.6), ILB (especially if Crowder leaves), OLB, CB.

36. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    1) NT

Guys like Jenkins and Haynesworth are the reasons why their teams are #1 and #2 in the AFC. That pass rush up the middle along with their dominant run stopping abilities are priceless.

2) OLB

The Matt Roth experiment has run its course. He's just too slow and not athletic enough for this position in this league. A huge liability in passing situations both in coverage and in the pass rush. We desperately need a significant upgrade.

3) FS

I believe our biggest liability in our Defensive backfield is R. Hill. He needs to be replaced. and even if the Rook doesn't beat him out, he'll add nice depth and be there to take over in 2010.

4) OT/C

Add depth the the OL. If we keep Carey, then go a big strong C. If we keep Satele as well have him compete for C or RG.

5) CB

except for J. Allen, our guys are getting old. Bring in a new CB for depth and to compete for a starting position in 2009 and moreso in 2010.

6) OL

Draft best O-lineman available. We've been pretty lucky with injuries so far. Next year we may not be so lucky and our lack of depth cannot be exploited.

This is assuming we re-sign Crowder. And with respect to WR, I'm more of a believer in fixing this through Free Agency. Ginn's been coming on. Camarillo has exceeded expectations and Bess will continue to improve in the slot.

Pick up a decent WR through Free Agency, hope he doesn't suck like Wilford, and I think we're set there.

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It would not surprise me if we went CB in the first round, so far this seems like a lean year at CB though.

CB/OLB/DE who can play up or down would make me happy a good Safety would as well, we have been lucky that Jeremiah has not been injured this year.

BTW, does anyone think Mike Huff is salvagible? I have a feeling the chaos in Oakland has stunted his maturity into a good Safety.

38. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    If we went CB in the 1st round, either Parcells is being kept in a janitor's closet or someone really good drops to our spot/a lot of players in the front 7 that they wanted gets taken.

Taking a flier on Huff wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. At worst, he'd give us great depth.

39. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    NT could possibly fill a bit of the passrush need. If you can get NT that can get into the backfield ala Hayneworth that would certainly help out. Could kill 2 birds with one stone to a degree, then bolster the LBs and secondaries with the rest of the draft.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with the OL as well, though I doubt we see a RT/C get drafted in the first.
    We will likely attempt to address 1-2 positions with upper echelon players via FA as well-will be interesting to see who hits the market.

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Expect right tackle to be taken care of either with Carey or free agency. Another need such as WR may be taken care of with free agency.

1- SOLB
    2- NT
    2- FS
    3- WR

Would not surprise me in the slightest. The ILBs we have are fairly solid. The 3-4 DEs are good and we have depth. Our CBs aren't the worst. If we re-sign Goodman and watch Jason Allen progress we're actually decent there. I'm not opposed to a draft pick but it's not a first round need.

If you get a great CB he can shut down one WR. If you get a great OLB he can shut down the entire passing game. It's that simple...

As for NT, if you don't have one and you are a 3-4 team you're better off just switching mid-game to a 4-3. You're done just like we were against the Ravens. If you secure both the front seven and offensive line you ensure a decent amount of success every year. I'm convinced that the offensive line if healthy, plus a decent free agent WR and familiarity on the offense would do wonders by itself. It's the defense that needs to improve into something greater.