1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest need in the passing game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Apr 6, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Wanted to get some of your guys thoughts on realistically what our biggest need in the passing game is. I have been a fan of Tavon Austin and what he can bring to our team. I mean he is a game changer in the mold of Percy Harvin hopefully not with the injury issues. And I get a feeling Davone Bess might not be a long term option which is a shame cause he is a good player and even better guy. Still, his salary is expendable and he isn't the home run threat Austin is but he is a Top 5 slot receiver and i believe that to be true.

But what are we missing well let's assess cause we defiently got a alot better thanks to our offseason acquisitions.

Mike Wallace - He is or #1 that is not debateable. While his contract is high, it is what it is. But, I don't believe he is a one trick pony. He can run the route tree for the most part aside from the slant (not too sure if he can might be wrong). But what excites me the most isn't what he himself will do but what he brings to our team and our offense. His speed is something we haven't had since Ted Ginn but thankfully this guy is a football player not a track star. He will open up things underneath for Bess (whoever our slot is)

Brian Hartline- A very strong #2. Him and Tannehill have chemistry and I am happy we brought him back as he is a good player and really will be our version of Jordy Nelson without the size our speed but its not like he is weak on either aspect.

Davone Bess - Pretty much said what I had too but he is an ultimate professional but is expendable and isn't a gamebreaker. Still, hope he is here for the year.

Brandon Gibson- wasn't too keen onthe pick but after assessing further he is a good player. Not a burner by any means but he has great hands and just picks up first downs which is exactly what we need. He is our poor man's version of James Jones. I believe he plays ont he outside but people say he can work out of the slot.

Rishard Matthews- Like what I saw but who knows. Hope he gets a chance to develop.

Armon Binns- Think its basically between him and Matthews for that final receiver spot. I like Binns size and skill set but there was a reason Cincy gave up on him.

Dustin Keller- Love this signing and not just to spite the Jets but I just think he gives us a seam threat at Tight End. But he is not a blocker, and doesn't have great size.

So, after that my question is what are we missing. To me its simple a Red Zone threat with size. While Tavon Austin brings a gamebreaking dynamic that we don't have from the slot is he really need or more of a luxury.

So, what are our options?

To me it comes down to 4-5 Players and they are all Tight Ends as WR I think we are set:

Tyler Eifert- I love this kid. He is a huge target with good but what I like most is for the Notre Dame games I watched he lined up on the line and split out. He really goes up and attacks the ball. He also seems like a capable blocker. Still I feel 12 might be too high for him but if we could trade down. I wouldn't pull my hair out by any means if we do draft him.

Zach Ertz- Thought I liked him but kind of cooled off on him. Don't think he is a good as Fleener but he does have great size. Still dont think he is the blocker we truly need. Round 2 would be an option if he is there at the 2nd pick of that round I feel it could be a good pick.

Gavin Escobar- Not too high on him at all. Seems slow and doesn't really block with aggression.

Vance MacDonald- Didn't know anything about him until the combine. But he really has wowed me and Rice has had a good history of Tight Ends. I wouldn't be against him with 2nd round at that 2nd pick.

Travis Kelce - If we dont get Eifert this is my guy. He plays with a mean streak and I see a little bit of Jason Witten in him. He has good measurables and really seems like abetter blocker than receiver at this point still he has great size. I hope we really take a look at him.

Tell me your thoughts?

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Travis Kelce with 2B would go a long way in getting our passing game right IMO.

3. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    An efficient offensive line. They ain't playing 7 man footfall out there!

GMJohnson, gunn34, Hurricane and 3 others like this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You may very well be at the point where improving pass protection and the run game will have a better effect on the passing game than making a big commitment for another eligible receiver.

KB21, NCFINFAN, Larryfinfan and 4 others like this.
  5. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What the Dolphins are missing in the passing game is a complete WR. Don't take that as me knocking Wallace. He's been one of my favorite WR's to watch for a few seasons, but as much as he brings to the table I don't believe him to be a complete WR. He is not a precise route runner, that's simply a fact. I think he's better than some give him credit for, but it's not an area he excels at. Hartline does a lot of things well, but I wouldn't call him a complete WR either. His inability to create YAC is a weakness.

There are a lot of good WRs in this draft and I believe there are a handful that can become complete WRs if they realize their potential. I wouldn't put Austin in that category because he just isn't big enough to do everything you need from a complete WR, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't draft Austin. What he does do gives your offense a major weapon with a rare skill set and I believe it would fit in well with the other parts the Dolphins have collected. If a complete WR is the target though I believe there are options in rounds 2 through potentially 5. I do think you can get some of the things a complete WR brings with a big time receiving TE though, and a guy like Eifert would fill that role.

6. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the biggest need in the passing game to me is simply reps ... RT needs many reps with Wallace, Gibson, Hartline, Bess, Matthews, Keller, Clay and Egnew -- much more than just OTC and TC ....

On the offense, there are 3 question marks:

- who is going to play RT (I will go off the 'assumption' that Martin will play LT) ... I just seriously doubt that we are banking on Yeatman to step in with zero experience. I also don't really want Martin back at RT either (like Wake at RE ...) it's not where he needs to be.

- what does the staff want to do with DT .... lots of hope with Miller and I think Gray will show us something this year as well ... but no sure thing.

- we have Keller this year, but what are we doing at TE for the future ... still some hope for Egnew, but Clay is not the future

leaving Defense out of this ... the only MUST we have is @ T .... and it must be someone who can step in and start. It would be a big surprise to see Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson still available at 12 - so for offense, the only pick @ 12 would be Eifert ... who is clearly the best TE, but I just don't like him @ 12. If available, I am trading down ... and with 2 of our 1st 3 picks I go: T (Watson/Armstead), G (Cooper/Warford/Long) and (TE (Eifert/Kelce/McDonald), CB (, DE, DT). Though I really, really like Justin Hunter @ WR.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Absolutely. I have no doubt they'll address the OL but what I'm really hoping for is a bruising compliment to Miller that excells in short-yardage.

8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Like the Sig,Rev. Just noticed Csonka has a different jersey on.
    I'm thinking the Refs told him to change due to too much opponents blood on it.
    That must of been the only #39 they had clean enough for him to wear. :chuckle:

Sorry to be off topic-

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

This.

It's all irrelevant if Tannehill can't get our skill players the ball.

10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    First off, very nice post!!!

I would say you are bringing up a very good topic, one I haven't seen discussed that much.

We brought in a couple of home run hitters, primarily Wallace of course, but Keller is also a chunk type of gainer....but, we really don't have any substantial red-zone targets.

I wouldn't discount Clay maybe getting more looks here out of the backfield. Not as much last year, but the prior, he showed he can be affective. Maybe Egnew finally turns the corner? I don't think so, but you never know.

You have named off the primary TE's in the draft. I don't think we target Eiffert. Would take our 12, and I honestly don't see it happening unless we trade back and pick up extra picks, then go after him.

I personally like Ertz, alot! He is really not the talent Fleener is, but a very good blue-collar type of TE. Think of a poor mans Dallas Clark. Not as athletic, but very good hands, and one hell of a hard worker.

IF Kelce is still there at 2b or 3a, I think there is a possibility we take him. If not, and he's not on our Draft Board, MacDonald could be a 4th round pick for us. Chris wrote up a very nice thread about him, and I am impressed with the info he showed us.

All this being said, I really think it all depends on exactly where Philbin feels that Egnew's development is. It would be pointless to use another pick on this type of TE when we did so last year with Egnew. He showed lots of promise in College, and if he can develop, just one more position we don't need to fill.....

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    easy...biggest need is protection. We need to give Tannehill a little time to pass to these weapons so we can get those 20+ yard completions

12. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Biggest need in passing is so simple...improvement from Tannehill. Particularly in the clutch. No WR, TE or OL will be nearly as important as Tannehill stepping up his game.

13. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    The 1st thing that comes to my mind is pass pro and a good running game..... that's what our passing game needs most now, aside from Tannehill's progression.

14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I am really hoping one of the big three Tackles falls to us. I still believe it is a priority and I am not as confident in Martin as some are.

15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    We could definitely use another RAC guy. Hartline, Bess, and Gibson are good getting from point A to point B, but once they get the ball, they ain't doing much with it. Having all 3 of them is redundant.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  16. bg12dm13cp10

bg12dm13cp10 New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Quarterback

17. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    1. Replacing Bess in the slot with some beast.
    2. Replacing Hartline with a redzone target.

18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'd say a LT, and a big bodied, athletic TE. Keller is a good option for now, but his one year contract tells me that we're looking to draft a TE, and probably fairly early. whoever it is, has to be athletic enough to get open midfield, and big enough to be an effective, efficient option in the red zone also.

Austin to me would be a luxury pick, and a bad pick given the players we have at WR already after free agency. That's not to take anything away from his talent whatsoever. I jut think we have better area's to address right now.

19. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Eifert and Bailey.

Retain either Keller or clay next year and move on from bess

20. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Would love to caqtch DeAndre Hopkins if he slips into Round 2. Always finds the endzone and played big in the Chic Fil A bowl against LSU.

rafael and ItsDFresh like this.
  21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It makes loads of sense that they would replace a guy they just re-signed to a long term contract.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  22. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Get a better left tackle.

23. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Tackle and on D, the secondary.

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The biggest need is a red zone weapon..

Chip Kelly was on yesterday talking about how Tyler Eifert is a lethal red zone weapon, he said Eiferts ability inside the redzone, his physical skillset, demands a double team..

He is correct, it does..he completely opens everything else up..the other guys in this draft to not pose the same threat.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. Wow, very good post. I agree with most everything you said. I will say two things, and that is McDonald seems to be only a split out guy. He has the size to be a good blocker but I have seen very little to think he will be. But my favorite by far is Kelce. He is a mean blocker and has great size and VERY good hands. But with Philbin/Ireland putting such an emphasis on attitude and off-field behavior, I really don't see Kelce as being an option. That guy is a train wreck.

26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    He's my first choice. It's an amazing skill set and weapon to have. He can learn some nuances from Keller for a year. He could really be a bff to Tanne. :pointlol:

djphinfan likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah let him and Keller tear it up, get rid of Clay, let Egnew continue to develop, than let Keller walk, and you have Egnew and Eifert as your future..Eifert is a complete stud.

Sceeto likes this.
  28. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    has there already been a Tavon Austin /thread reply? If not I call first dibs.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  29. CJ_LEWANDOWSKI2

CJ_LEWANDOWSKI2 New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    North Carolina
    Two Words: Tavon Austin
    (wouldn't mind snagging Tyler Eifert, but I think we can get another TE later)

[video=youtube_share;T3_UNFZHSQU]http://youtu.be/T3_UNFZHSQU[/video]

30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    When you look at what people like Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham can do in the league nowadays, I think you try to replicate that with someone like Tyler Eifert. I think those are bigger mismatch players than guys like Tavon Austin, believe it or not. Tavon Austin's speed in the open field is matched by the overall speed of NFL defenses (in contrast to college ones), whereas the height and athleticism of players like Gronkowski and Graham is presently unmatched by NFL defenses in general, in the areas of the field in which they're typically making plays.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  31. CJ_LEWANDOWSKI2

CJ_LEWANDOWSKI2 New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    North Carolina
    Very true, tight end play has gotten stronger as of late. Austin's quickness and elusiveness can also be a threat though. Wes Welker is not a big guy, but with his quickness and route running look what he has done to us and other teams. Also Tavon would be a huge upgrade to our special teams, on kickoffs and punt returns. He also has no off the field issues and never missed a single game or practice while at West Virginia. I wouldn't mind us drafting Eifert, I just think the tight end pool is deeper than people think.. but there isn't another "special" player like Tavon Austin.

32. Finatic

Finatic I Pay The Iron Price

Mar 26, 2013
    Redzone/short yardage/possession reciever would be our biggest need in the pass game for sure. It would be nice to grab a known touchdown grabber like deandre hopkins but that is unlikely because he will go at the end of the first or beginning of second for sure. I see a lot of talk about Eifert in this thread and i simply dont agree. There has been success with guys like gronk and graham but those names are where the buck stops after those 2 names it is a steep drop to medocrity. As much as my propensity to hate Notre Dame football kicks in i will give them credit for one thing there program can produce serviceable TE's :Kyle Rudolph, Anthony Fasano, John Carlson. Eiferts ceiling is simply not jimmy graham or gronk. To me its more kyle rudolph. and that does not warrant first round pick.