1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Cowher: A close look....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

So..it looks like Cowher is interested in coming to Miami...and depending on who you listen to: he is VERY interested. If and only if Ross fires Cowher and he is given complete control over football operations.

Now...reading this...I assumed that meant GM/HC duel roles.

This doesnt appear to be the case. Ryan Wilson a senior writer for FanHouse.Com said this:

"Something to keep in mind: Cowher's never been known as a personnel guy. He has thoughts about guys he likes. (The most glaring, embarrassing example: taking LB Alonzo Jackson with a second-round pick in 2003. That was allegedly "Cowher's guy" and, well, it was a disaster.) But that doesn't make him an authority. Of course, I don't think any coach should have to shoulder the burden of preparing a team to play football and assemble the roster. It's a recipe for failure.

There were rumors a couple years ago that if Cowher came back he might try to take the Steelers' version of GM, Kevin Colbert, with him. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen now, which means that for a new team to get the most out of Cowher there needs to be a strong personnel department working with him. "

He seems to also want to hire his own coaches. Ive heard alot of people saying they want Nolan to stay...but looking at Cowher's defenses....the last thing I would worry about is who he chooses to be DC.

Now...why would Bill Cowher insist on Ireland being fired...and why would he be so high on Miami?

Well...hes been to the playoffs with the following QB's.

Neil Odonell, Mike Tomzack, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddux....and he has won at least one playoff game with each of them. So...I think he is comfortable not having the QB position solidified.

We have a 3/4 Defense that is close to being Super Bowl caliber.

And in my opinion...the biggest reason.

Bill Parcells.

Parcells tried to rebuild the Phins...and failed...or it appears as though that is the case at the moment.

If you think guys like Cowher and Parcells arent keenly aware of how they place in the all time great coach list....your crazy. I think Cowher relishes the thought of resurrecting a once proud franchise...of being the only other coach besides Don Shula to win a Super Bowl with Miami.

Personally, Im not as high on a Bill Cowher hire. Alot of the things I hear that are Cowhers strengths and weakness' seem to align with Tony Sparano.

- Great motivator
    - Not a tactician
    - Gets most out of his players
    - Is overly conservative
    - Depends on strong personnel department

So...I think we get basically the same coach....with Tony Sparano if we can go get a very good OC and keep Nolan as DC. Youd be hiring Cowher in name only. Not worth the 8 million IMO.

2. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
  3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I know, 60 games over .500, that's complete garbage. And look at how his average finish in his division was between first and second. No thanks, give me more 7-9 third place finishes please. He only played one season after winning the Super Bowl, I'm not sure how that can be part of a two year decline. Tomlin won another with much of the team that Cowher put there. This might have more credibility if you didn't think Sparano was the answer. It's been obvious for a while now he doesn't know what he's doing. The team quit on him last Sunday. But that's cool. Stay the course.

4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Exactly, stay the course. We don't want this Cowher bum who lost so many playoff games. We can keep hanging our hat on our 11-5 in 2008 no matter how bad it gets.

5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Eh.. not exactly. Sparano's 2nd year we went 7-9..not 9-7.
    Furthermore, Cowher didn't have a losing season until 7 years into his tenure with the Steelers. Coach Sparano is already got 2 in after only three years.
    I don't know that I want to see him gone yet. But I've got to admit that Bill Cowher is a very good coach.

6. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm a Dolphins fan #1.

A Jaguars fan #2.

Both of my teams have hardly any shot of making the playoffs every year that Brady & Manning are in the league.

That's the fact.

They are two of the best QBs in history. It sucks, but that is the reality. It's just a very tuff spot.

You can't even equate it to the Marino vs Kelly years. I know we had Marino,the Manning of his era, but Brady is much better than Kelly and can do more with lesser teams.

We have neither... where do you go from here? :sad:

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It is tough because of Brady. And when you are being outcoached by every other coach in the division it gets even worse.

8. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    This is what you get at QB: Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, and finally Ben Roethlisberger. Please remind me which one got him the ring. How many Henne's are on that list?