1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Maher's Religulous

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Oct 17, 2008.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I went and saw Bill Maher's Religulous last weekend. For those unaware of it or for those only vaguely aware, Religulous is Bill Maher's and Director of Borat Larry Charles' documentary about religion where Bill Maher travels the world and talks to and challenges various religious people about their beliefs.

***DISCLAIMER***
    I am an agnostic who believes there is something behind this universe, but that as humans we don't have the first clue as to what that is. Like explaining a dream you had two days ago, or trying to explain love with a mathematical formula, the more we try to put the true mysteries of the universe into human language and the limited human mind the more we screw them up. Ultimately while I don't have a lot of respect for religion itself, I do have all the respect I can give for other people. So long as you are no more than 99% sure of the things you can't see, I have no problem with you. You have to be 100% sure before you strap on a suicide vest, fly a plane into a building, bomb an abortion clinic, or bring on the rapture because the country has trusted you with the nuclear codes.
    ***END DISCLAIMER***

I like Bill Maher. Though I don't find him that funny, or all that intelligent, he is adequately funny, and adequately intelligent. He's also a world class prick. I was a loyal Politically Incorrect viewer, and still watch him on HBO's Real Time. I like those shows, and he happens to be in them.

If you are like me, or find many religions except your own to be rather silly, you should definitely give the movie a shot. I laughed my *** off. He is an equal opportunity offender, attacking Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, and Scientology. From interviewing the actor who plays Jesus at Orlando's "The Holy Land Experience" to the Orthodox Jews who believe they can't use tools on the Sabbath, but spend the other 6 days of the week devising tools that help them circumvent "G*d's law."

There is the Vatican astronomer who explains how Pope John Paul has even conceded the fact of evolution. How everything that was written in the bible came centuries before modern science, so there are going to naturally be a lot of contradictions between the limited scientific knowledge present in the minds of those who wrote the bible.

Sadly, it is a movie that (pun unavoidable) preaches to the choir. But it does so effectively and quite humorously. For those of deep religious faith, the best hope is that it puts that 1% of doubt in your mind.

Sceeto likes this.
  2. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I've been wanting to catch this one. Might check it out this weekend.

3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It looks pretty good. Ive always liked Maher's views on religion, like you I dont find him particularly funny, but entertaining.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I want to see this, but my local theater doesn't carry it. I'm still waiting for it to pop online. If not, I'll rent the DVD.

I'm a huge fan of Maher (watched PI and watch Real Time) and think he's hilarious. A bit extreme at times in his POV, but still good to watch.