1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Polian for Dolphins GM in 2013

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sorry for another thread indirectly about Jeffrey Ireland but if I'm going to spend time *****ing about the man, I guess I deserve to mention who I think should replace him. That is if Jeff Ireland is eventually fired. Short of him finding a franchise QB in the draft, or Matt Moore leading us to the playoffs this year, the writing is on the wall for Jeff Ireland. At least it should be.

Enter Bill Polian. I know he isn't perfect, and his firing was partly justified after the 2-14 debacle of the Colts last season. But when you lose a QB as integral to a team's gameplan and success as Peyton Manning, there is going to be a drop off. And when you look at his track record with the Bills, Panthers, and Colts this is a guy who can build a football team. This is a guy who understands the importance of the QB position. This is a guy who isn't stuck in the 80s.

Some of you might think that everyone else has turned down the Dolphins, so why would Bill Polian come here? Well, if we assume that part of the problem was Jeff Ireland and we assume he would be shown the door, most of the problem is solved. And if Ross is smart enough to say, here's the keys to the team, I'm staying out of it, then why wouldn't Polian come here if he's interested in being a GM again? Resurrecting a once proud franchise would be a feather in his cap.

I know a lot of you still support Jeff Ireland, and as much as I disagree, I respect that. But can you say you would rather have Jeff Ireland as GM than Bill Polian? Who knows if Bill is interested in being a GM or if he would be interested in working for Stephen Ross. But if he is, I hope this is one move that can get done. I also hope Joe Philbin can demonstrate enough success so that a coaching change along with a GM change is NOT necessary.

Please also understand I'm not advocating Jeff Ireland's immediate replacement as some fans are. He deserves to see his "vision" out, and to see who he can find in the draft. If that team flounders again in 2012, IMHO, it will be time for change. And hopefully that change comes in the form of Bill Polian.

shula_guy likes this.
  2. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    uhhhh, no thanks. I'd prefer someone a bit younger and the job he did in Indy was one of the worst of all time and you're only as good as your last job.

Steve-Mo and Fin D like this.
  3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You mean the same guy that had the greatest QB of all time and surrounded that QB with absolute garbage? The same guy that put together a team that just went through a complete firesale and finished 2-14 when the QB that masked their lack of depth and talent got injured?

I'll pass. Not only will I pass, but can you please wait until after the draft or the midway point of the season before calling this season a failure and pushing for a GM change in 2013? Why even bother following the team if it is already a failure?

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bill Polian lived off of the Peyton Manning decision for a very long time and would be a big downgrade.

Alex13 and FinNasty like this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Polian was lucky he got one of the best QB's of all time. That team was garbage...

6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    To focus only on last season discounts everything Polian did in Buffalo and Carolina. Peyton Manning was a huge part of his success, but you don't have that kind of sustained success without putting some good pieces around him. Only on this board would Jeff Ireland be viewed as a better GM than Bill Polian.

And for those who think it's too early, I'm used to it. IMO, it's never too early to start pondering ways one's favorite team might improve an obvious weakness on a team. You all told me I was too early to talk about what the team should do is Sparano's team got off to an 0-4 start. You told me I was too early to talk about next season's strength of schedule. And you told me I was too early to talk about Peyton Manning's potential availability. It's never too early. It's only fun fan speculation and discussion. Don't take it too seriously.

shula_guy and Starry31 like this.
  7. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Hiring Bill would likely mean hiring Chris. Not sure that works. My guess if Ireland gets fired is some young executive with links to Carl Peterson gets the job, or they let Philbin nominate someone if he does well. The third recruitment possibility is a Huizenga style nationwide search that results in the first guy they looked at being hired anyway.

Thing is Ireland likely gets to hitch his wagon to Philbin's for at least a couple more seasons, especially if they draft a QB early as Ross will likely wait for that to pan out. Which is actually another reason why we may take a QB early even if it goes against Ireland's usual instincts.

Boik14 likes this.
  8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I don’t necessarily think Ireland is better than Polian… however if I am going to be replacing him… I want my goals for his replacement to be a little higher.

gafinfan likes this.
  9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    In Polians defense he didnt have much cap room left after paying Manning.Certainly not enough to sign top FAs .His only avenue to improve the team was to be succesful in the draft and that didnt go very well in recent years.

Bill certainly has more stature,experience and respect from players and the NFL than Ireland IMO.

shula_guy and MonstBlitz like this.
  10. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Again, I'm not defending Ireland but can we give him until the midway point to see how his moves pan out? We were hampered by Sparano and Henne the past two years. Let's at least have a little confidence in Philbin and the players we will select in the upcoming draft.

There is a draft on April 26th, remember?

PhinsRock and Fin D like this.
  11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    But the bolded portion says it all. Building through the draft is critical for us. I wonder if Polian is too past his prime to be effective with the draft anymore. and if that's the case, I'm not interested.

FinNasty likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Bill Polian has effectively addressed the QB position everywhere he has been. Granted, it was easy in Indianapolis. But still, I'll take the guy who can figure out how to find a QB over a guy who can figure out how to find Lineman any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

13. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Are you kidding? There's a reason the Colts sucked without Manning, he put no talent around him recently. Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, those were first round picks of his lol

Wulf likes this.
  14. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Is that really a "defense"? It seems that the GM was the one who signed Manning to the contract which precluded being able to pay anybody else...

unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Here are the Colts' drafts since 2008:

I fail to see how this guy is an upgrade over Jeff Ireland.

16. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pensacola, FL

How lucky was he to get the job in Indy, and have the first pick in the draft the year the son of Archie Manning declared eligible? THAT doesn't happen often...

17. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im not an Ireland fan but this would actually be a downgrade. Polian is washed up and his son is a never was. Mike Lombardi and I know CK would support this but also Mike Mayock would be better choices. Lombardi has front office experience and Mayock has as good a handle on the draft as anyone.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  18. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    I'd prefer to go with an younger guy who is ready to prove himself. I like steelers philosphy of building through the draft (which I hope is Philbin's Plan on O)and keeping your own guys in FA. That team has been pretty damn good no matter who the QB was. Kordell, Maddox,Big Ben,Neil O'donnell, even Charlie Batch. They just keep on winning and remaining competetive. They have had 3 losing seasons since 1992. They are doing something correct. I will reserve judgement on Ireland until after this season, give him a couple years to separate him from Parcells, I hope the younger guys like R.Jones, Misi, Gates, Clay, Jerry, Murtha and M. Moore step up.

19. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    Ross already has a franchise-wrecker in Carl Peterson hanging around. Peterson or Polian? It's a wash.

Green Bay has a well-respected front office and no one there has a negative word to say about Joe Philbin. So why not have a strong level of familiarity from the start and reunite Joe with one of their ranks? Someone like John Dorsey:

Fin D likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I truly believe that a real Gm, who believes in his ability, would want to take the toughest gig possible, the rewards is what it's all about, the ability to turn a franchise around with your eyes and instincts, is why these guys are in the business..

Anyone who turns the job down because of perception is weak.

Ireland is on a 1 year trial basis at this point..

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well I won't argue that there might be better options than Polian out there. I will argue I'd take Polian over Ireland in a heartbeat. So would any other objective NFL fan. Polian is just one of the guys I hope is considered. I don't see him as terrible as some here do. One bad season without a starting quarterback doesn't = terrible GM.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That is a bs statement.

You are not being objective. You are far from objective.

For reference, I am objective. There's not a single objective point of view that ends in firing Ireland or singing his praise.

Not too mention, your defense of Polian, could be used for a defense of Ireland.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  23. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You take a survey of any NFL fan who is not a fan of the Miami Dolphins or the Indianapolis Colts and tell me how it works out. Bill Polian or Jeff Ireland. Pretty simple.

24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Is this an argument in favor of Polian or Ireland? Shouldn't you take the opposite of what the general public believes to be true?

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The problem is you think that is a fact.

It isn't. Its an opinion.

Put the GM's records of acquisitions (FA & Draft) next to each other and I don't think you have the slam shut case you think you do.

Alex44 likes this.
  26. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    You think Mayock would ever take a GM position because If he would I would be all for it. He is the only person on NFL Network/SportsCenter that I respect and trust. He really knows his stuff when it comes to college level talent.

27. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah hey at least well have a football team till you know our qb goes down. Then we can read everyone ***** about how all we need is such and such position every offseason.

28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Polian is overrated and its not even about the Manning thing.
    The only reason Kelly came back to Buffalo was because he had no choice.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Polian? What a terrible idea.

Yeah, let's hire the recently FIRED GUY of a talent barren 1-15 Indy team whose owner didn't seem to trust as a GM capable of properly building an organization & team going forward with Andrew Luck. "!!BOOO, Ireland sucks and can't build a good team so let's hire the guy who's team has less talent!!"

Pure genius idea. Break out the medals. :shifty:

Steve-Mo likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yeah, he really effectively addressed QB in Carolina with Kerry Collins. :unsure:

.... and it's remarkable he could address the QB position in Indy considering all he had to work with was a #1 overall pick during a year where the QB was the unanimous #1 player. :shifty:

It seems like you care more about making up stuff to support your argument than you are the facts. That doesn't make you very credible.

31. I like Rich McKay in Atlanta.

32. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Frankly if you could pry him out of the Fox booth, I'd rather have Jimmy Johnson as our GM over Polian. Criticize JJ for whatever you like, but the man had an eye for talent and knows how to build a football team. JMVHO

33. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Making up stuff? Like making up that Kerry Kollins was a joke of a QB? That makes you really credible. Considering how many keystrokes you spent defending a QB not fit to hold his jockstrap.

And Polian only built a team that went to a superbowl in it's 2nd year of existence.

I shouldn't blame you though, for judging the man strictly on his last season when the team he put together was missing it's starting QB. Makes you no different than the rest of the media, or Jim Irsay who was looking for a scapegoat.

It does; however, make you a bit of a hypocrite when you pratter on defending a GM who has built teams that have accomplished next to nothing in 4 years.

34. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Fin D likes this.
  35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Is it your strategy to say a bunch of stuff to make it seem like you're addressing the topic of the post that relates to your previous post despite you not really saying anything at all?

Yeah, it's common for teams to cut a QB (who "addresses the position") halfway through his 4th year. :unsure:

I didn't call Collins a joke; you did, but thanks for YET AGAIN using another straw argument to help make yourself look right. Is that ALL you can do?

What's your statement have to do with my post referencing your "addressing QB everywhere he went" post? What's that? Nothing?

What's your statement have to do with my post referencing your "addressing QB everywhere he went" post? What's that? Nothing again?

But to address your statement. It took him multiple years of Polian running the team to get it at the 1-15 level of 2011. That's entirely UNRELATED to a GM with one year of control trying to fix a team that the previous czar left in shambles. If you want to use my own argument against me in true apples to apples fashion, you'd have to say something like "Bill Polian did the best he could with a terrible Manningless team that the previous GM (who was himself) left him with." Yeah, I can see how this makes me seem like a hypocrite. :glare:

What's your statement have to do with my post referencing your "addressing QB everywhere he went" post? What's that? More nothing?

But to address your statement.
    A. Another straw argument? Really? You seem addicted to these. Perhaps you should check yourself into a local "straw arguments anonymous" meeting.
    B. PARCELLS is the one who attempted to build Miami, not Ireland. Ignorance-- look up the definition.
    C. a first year "full control" GM inheriting a team that his czar left in disarray is nothing similar to a GM with years of full control whose team under his control became an insufficiently talented 1-15 disappointment. So, the first GM inherited a problematic team, while the second one built the problematic team.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  36. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    :words: + a personal attack.

Todd - Look up the definition of HOMER. And I'm not talking about the Simpsons. While you're at it, look up what strawman really means. Because you toss the word around while being extremely guilty of it yourself. Debating anything with you is like trying to pop a wheely on a unicycle. Keep doing what you do.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  37. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    , now the colts were garbage? , talk about revisionist history .

Edgerrin James
    Marvin Harrison
    Reggie Wayne
    Dallas Clark
    Addai
    Freeney
    Mathis
    Sanderson
    Bethea
    Saturday

To name a few were not garbage .

MonstBlitz likes this.
  38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    lol @ you dodging the subject again. Perhaps you confuse strawman with something Wizard of Oz related. :dunno:

Steve-Mo likes this.
  39. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Edgerrin James
    Reggie Wayne
    Ryan Diem
    Dwight Freeney
    Jeff Saturday
    Dallas Clark
    Robert Mathis
    Bob Sanders
    Pierre Garcon

Among others ...

And, was the GM that built the Bills teams that went to 4 consecutive SB's.

He may not be the best GM around; but he was a very good one.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  40. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He's had his ups and downs. The talent on Indy has been eroding for awhile and with Manning going down the team collapsed. But he absolutely did build a steller and talented team around him for awhile. His main shortcoming is his recent high round mistakes, that with the aging of the team spelled doom when Manning went down. He has always been solid at finding guys in the lower rounds to come in and contribute.

To deride him as an overall terrible GM is foolish though.

MonstBlitz and Da 'Fins like this.