1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Polian on Vontae Davis: 'should be a big-time contributor' (Courtesy of MMQB)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

MrClean, muscle979, brandon27 and 6 others like this.
  2. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It's like they did with Sean Smith. They had to send a message. Whether that's worked on Sean I don't know....but we have seen Sean grow up a bit and start taking his job more seriously.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Kind of seems like you hear this about Vontae Davis every year. Has the talent but not the work ethic

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

How two guys like Vontae and Smith managed to be lazy in Sparano's work-hard philosophy I'll never understand.

5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    They pretty much were handed starting jobs. I do believe Will Allen went down fairly early in their careers. Then they haven't really been challenged by anyone who came in. Until a guy named Marshall who was supposed to be a nickel started looking like a better option.

dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know if that's how it went. Sean Smith has been benched a couple of times(early 2010 for Jason Allen, then again later that year for violating team rules), had an overall good 2010, then was awful in 2011.

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think with Vontae its genetics. Really, Vernon Davis was the exact same way for most of his career. It took him a good 4-5 years to "get it". Betting Vontae will end up the same way. Not at all ready to give up on him

8. Bpk

Well, Sean Smith keeps tackling with one shoulder (and missing) they will let him go after this year.

I don;t see Vontae starting outside again, to be honest. He doesn't seem to care *enough*. Maybe it's because he gets paid either way.

steveincolorado likes this.
  9. Bpk

It took Mike Singletary sending him into the locker room, then ripping him a new ***-hole afterwards for him to 'get it'. Needed some tough-love parenting, essentially. But singletary and Philbin are very different people.

For example, I don;t see Philbin as the type to drop his pants and moon the team. Seeing his pimply white arse-bones would probably set off a losing streak longer than a tortoise's lifespan.

Incidentally Philbin is a distant cousin of the tortoise.

Ohio Fanatic, Alex44 and Boik14 like this.
  10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Work ethic , pride ...

I believe Vonte believes if it is hard , he is working hard , or as hard as he should , and of course that isn't it at all. Great tools , but I don't know if he will ever get it and produce as his physical blessings promise. He's had leaders ( will Allen YBell ) that haven't made a real indelible impression , we'll see what a new coach will do for him . I am not optimistic.

Bpk likes this.
  11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Wasn't Vontae hurt during the OTAs? Not trying to make excuses but it could play a part in being out of shape I guess.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Should be pointed out, VD is the only DB on the roster who can catch the damn ball...just sayin'.

steveincolorado and Boik14 like this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Popeyes chicken and biscuits.

steveincolorado likes this.
  14. Bpk

Not stupid. Just not motivated. Also, his brother (not Vernon) was arrested for murder in the offseason. Which is either an excuse for why he is not getting serious (and maybe partying to take his mind off stuff)... or it could have been a GREAT opportunity for him to REALLY get serious about how he's living his life and get dedicated and focused.

One of the best corners in the league, he and Smith said last year.... heck, he's not even in the top two on this TEAM.

15. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I disagree to an extent with both of you. While I dont think Philbin would moon the team he warned Chad Johnson about acting out and then when he allegedly did something stupid he was gone. Vontae should take heed of the message but with certain types of athletes they need to be spoken to a certain way for the light to go on. Its been said Vontae has gotten by on skill not really by being a student of the game or by being a professional right? How do you handle someone like that? IMO you be very direct and stay on them. The kid whose trying to make the roster will bust his butt willingly for a chance. The guy who is born gifted like a Vontae Davis is a much harder guy to coach because hes always going to be too good to cut or keep off the field entirely as long as he makes some effort but to get that player to achieve his potential is always going to be exceptionally difficult unless theyre self motivators. Thats a genetic/early childhood development thing. Either you get it or you dont. If you dont get it early, you have to have it beaten in to you so to speak (figuratively not literally or you end up like Chad Johnson)

ToddPhin, Bpk and Alex44 like this.
  16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Think about how good he is when he's just going on talent alone. If he can work harder and push himself he is a Pro Bowl player. He's got to get himself straightened out.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Vontae Davis has been the same player he was in college.

18. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    How long did it take Vernon to wake up and play to his talent level?

19. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    You can contribute Sean's new found serious to the fact that he is in a contract year. I love the guy, but it's a continuous story of how much more serious athletes become before that new payday. Anyone remember how good Vernon Carey looked in his contract year lol. If only he could have stayed like that.

20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    About 4 years.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I've seen Sean enter his contract year, which may or may not be related to what you've seen.

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    So much ability going to waste..

Can't take two hours of your day, every day, to have complete focus and effort, in season and offseason, to train the body...two stinking hours, then you can do whatever the hell you wanna do, while still getting paid a few milli a year to work those two hours a day..amazing the mind of a professional athlete..

I guess the human mind is so fragile, maybe his brother thing fu&$ Ed him up idk, but at some point, it's got to click or your gonna be Ronnie brown VD.

23. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    he didnt look like he was in the best shape on episode 1

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    And he only went through that because Mike Singletary tore him a new one.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  25. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I bet Belicheat knows Vonte is out of shape and Tom Brady can take full advantage of that. That irks me just thinking about it.

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You listen to Vontae talk on Hard Knocks and you instantly realize he's here because of his sheer athletic skill, not for his intelligence (football or otherwise). I predict that Philbin and co will eventually get Vontae to take his career more seriously and he'll lock in the starter position after the season starts.

Boik14 likes this.
  27. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Maybe we will see some improvement in his conditioning tonight.

28. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

He's quite a bit smarter than he comes off.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo.../2009/04/dolphins_davis_scored_a_33_on_1.html

MrClean likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Come on VD!!!!! Your my boy blue!!!!

30. Bpk

Don't cheer for VD. Or STDs.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm sorry BK, I know it's a touchy subject for ya..

Hope all is well bro, let me know if you need me..luv u man..

32. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That doesn't really matter, does it? It's a standardized test and the average score is 20. That puts his IQ at about 126.
    http://www.wonderlic.info/

I see this as just as big of an obsticle as the superior physical tools. If he's anything like I was, he probably spends more time trying to figure out shortcuts than it would take to do the job correctly. The good news is that the current staff is on to his shtick and I think it was Lou Anarumo who called him on it during the 1st episode of Hard Knocks.

dolfan22 and MrClean like this.
  33. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    He just needs to complete those acting lessons :up:

We'll see what happens. But I still cringe whenever a team throw deep on us.

34. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I was contemplating a thread where the motive was to call out Vontae earlier this summer. You could tell from his twitter feed the guy has his head up his ***. The physical talent of an ed reed tho. He's really supposed to be a pillar on this team. We need him on top of his game, & realizing his full potential.

35. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, apparently he's back in the starting lineup, so he must have gotten the message.

36. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I suspect the Wonderlic's correlation with true IQ is much stronger within the average range than it is as you move closer to either extreme. I strongly doubt Vontae Davis's IQ is 126, since that would mean he would be more intelligent than 96 of every 100 people you went out and found at random.

First of all, no one is likely to be that intelligent, since intelligence to that degree is rare, and second, Vontae Davis, in anything I've seen from him, has done nothing to make me think he has any more intelligence than an average person. In fact he may even be below average.

smahtaz likes this.
  37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Jones has shown good hands in the past. Does Marshall have a history of dropping a lot of potential ints? Do you know this for sure?

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't doubt he could likely have a 126 IQ. That does not mean he has common sense or a good work ethic. It just means he does well on tests.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  39. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The chance of any one person's having an IQ that high is 4%.

40. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

So that puts Tanneyhill's IQ higher than that right? :up: