1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Polian Talks Dolphins - Vikings Draft Day Swap

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Still gave up two 2nds and paid him over $10 million a year.

2. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't think that was an inappropriate amount of compensation given his production in Denver. He was, not counting Jake Long, the best player on our offense during his time here. There's been a thousand threads about how horrible a player and team member he was for the Dolphins, but there were protections in place to allow the team to sever ties with him without undue loss. The team could still part ways with him and not have folks lose their jobs over him being gone. The only way folks would keep their jobs if they take Tannehill at 8 and busts is if Pat Devlin becomes the next Tom Brady, and that's a wholly other class of risk taking than what happened with Marshall.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not that what you're saying is wrong, its that what you're describing is called a big risk.

2x2nd rds may be fair for his production, but its a large price to pay for the obviously very real chance he doesn't produce like that for us....out clauses or not. We're still out both of those 2nds for production that didn't match that value. Hence the big risk.

slickj101 likes this.
  4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The ONE move Ireland made that I like, and people that defend Ireland hated it :lol:

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You think 2x2nd rounders was worth an average of 1000yds and 4 Tds?

6. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Miami simply can't afford to trade up to get Tannehill, imo. Of course, if they really love the kid and think he will be great (which is possible) then I guess you have to do it. It will all come down to how they feel about him.

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Trading up to #3 to pick Tannehill could go down as one of the biggest reaches in the history of the NFL draft.

8. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Who cares?

If he's the right guy he's the right guy.

Fear of failure is cowardice of the worst sort. If our evaluations rate him as worth the pick show conviction and take him. The fear of a "reach" is just searching for validation.

MAFishFan likes this.
  9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Until we actually do it and he fails and everyone talks about how stupid it was instead of this moral victory stuff about sticking to convictions.

10. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Bull

If our evaluations on him aren't good then you pass. But if the evaluations of the staff (and not a mostly ignorant fan base) say he's the guy then you make the move.

Failure to commit to the QB position is a commitment to failure.

11. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    And if you're worried about talk then you're looking at it the wrong way anyway. You get a shot you take a shot. Anything else is cowardice. Fear of failure is NEVER a good reason to make a decision.

12. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    IDK, I think there enough questions and differing opinions surrounding Tannehill that it wouldn't surprise me if he made it at least that far. I'm not sure if any team, including us, is willing to trade a bundle for someone who isn't considered nearly as safe a pick as Luck or Griffin.

13. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Griffin is NOT a safe pick by a country mile. There's a metric ton of upside but I think he's riskier than Tannehill.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  14. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yeah, but I'm not talking about personal opinion. I'm talking about the general consensus.

15. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't get me wrong I think he's worth the 2, but I really think it is a huge misnomer to labor him safe. That's the problem I have with the whole thing. Outside the once in a generation guys like Luck and Manning the whole idea of safe is a mirage. Sooner or later you just have to trust your judgment and take a calculated risk.

16. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I agree he certainly isn't as safe as Luck is, but I'm talking about a relative level of safety in comparison to Tannehill. There seems to be a lot of personnel people around the league high on Tannehill's potential, but at the same time a great many who think he's a borderline 1st round pick being overdrafted. Granted, it only takes one team to fall in love with the guy, but outside of us or possibly KC or Buffalo I'd wonder what team could match their need for a QB and their desire to absolutely have Tannehill with the wherewithal to want to part with draft picks to move up.

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Which was the point lol

Fin D likes this.
  18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Taking a calculated risk for a QB while trading away the picks that you could spend on one of the deepest WR classes in a long time, when you're in desperate need of one, makes no sense to me.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  19. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    allright miami!!!

20. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    its one thing to reach on a prospect its just crazy to trade up to reach on one though. I want no part of Tannehill myself but if they feel he can be great in a few years and he falls to us that's fine I guess. There is really no way in hell we should be trading up for this kind of prospect though.

21. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The only QB's worth trading up for in the first round for were Luck and RG3. The Dolphins obviously have no chance of doing that, so they should just stay at eight and pick the best offensive or defensive lineman on the board when their pick comes around. Tannehill is not worth the eight pick in the draft, much less the third pick in the draft.

The Dolphins best chance to draft a franchise QB is to make a Redskin type trade next year and move up to draft Matt Barkley in the 2013 draft. Many fans don't want to accept that the Dolphins are REBUILDING and this process is going to take 3-4 years before the Dolphins are a legitimate playoff contender. Since there are no franchise QB's left on the board after RG3 and Luck, the Dolphins should just keep building the other parts of their team and wait until 2013 to draft their QB of the future.